Cross body bag or waist pack?

Suzque49

I am trying to decide on which one to take on my next cruise.

The cross body bag is small (think as seen on tv) but so is the waist pack (belly bag).

I will take it on the airplane and on excursions for my camera, sunglasses, cell, OTC meds, passport at times and room key. So don't really need a large tote, (I will have one of those in my suitcase anyway).

What would you take and why?

cross body, i think waist-packs (fanny packs) are way to out-dated--i usually dont care whether something is "in" or "out" but in the case of the fanny-pack OUT:p:)

there is a time that i would have worn more like the belt type pack that carries your water bottle on one side and then you have pouches for other things and that would have been hiking in the Costa Rican Rain Forest--having a cross-body was awkward and uncomfortable, so i would rather have had a belt pack but that is not the same as a fanny pack.

I use a regular shoulder bag because for me it is easier to use than something I have to put on and off over my head. For hiking or running I use one of the waist packs with a water bottle. I also have a small backpack that I sometimes just put over my shoulder (nothing valuable in it).

Another vote for crossbody:) and just FYI, they make lots of different

size cross body bags..there are small ones, medium size and large ones.

Why do I choose a crossbody? It works best for me, holds what I need

and personally, I think it looks nicer too:D

I use a small cross body bag that holds all the necessities and is secure and comfortable to wear.

I hate the waist bags and no longer even have one. I don't want a very large bag for active touring and walking, although if going to a beach I take a tote instead of the bag.

I would choose a cross body bag, but be careful...some of the cross body straps are way longer than others. I'm tall and a size 2x and most cross body bags that might fit a thinner woman, would hit me just under the boobs. If you have a large department store near you, it's best to just go try them on for size.

I take my husband with a little back pack or deep pockets. I call him my "man purse". That way, he carries everything and I can travel light!! Even when we go out for formal night, he carries everything in his suitcoat. I just can't let him get too far away from me when I need a drink. It has been working great for 30 years.

I really dislike all the waist packs and use a cross body or small shoulder bag.

It's easy to have a shoemaker cut a strap and stitch it properly to whatever shorter length you want your shoulder bag to fit. That doesn't work for all styles, all bags, but it does for many.

I would choose a cross body bag, but be careful...some of the cross body straps are way longer than others. I'm tall and a size 2x and most cross body bags that might fit a thinner woman, would hit me just under the boobs. If you have a large department store near you, it's best to just go try them on for size.

And those who are very short like me have the opposite problem -Most of them hang too low. Either way the advice is the same - try them on for size.

(A few of the straps can be easily shortened, depending on how they are attached - at last we short gals have that advantage)

My $.02:

Nothing screams "tooorist" more than a waist pack.

Friends don't let friends wear a waist pack.

:-)

LOL, that says it all slidergirl.

Thanks, cross body bag it is. The one I have is like the ones you see advertized on TV, it has an adjustable strap so I can easily adjust it for my 5'1" body.

• 6 months later...
I have a cross body bag, made with a strip of wire concealed in the strap. That makes it thief-proof and recommended for 'unsavoury' ports. A thick leather strap would also do the job.

Bum bags look 'frumpy' in my opinion.

Which brand do you have? Looking for a new one for Europe.

I have a Lesportsac that I like but thinking about it I would probably

be better off with the anti-theft strap.

I prefer a leather cross body bag with multiple pockets. I can't remember the brand I have, but I love it. I tried a le sportsac but i felt paranoid that someone might cut it off me while in a crowd. I mainly save it for the beach excursions.

Hi:) I know Magelllen's makes some with wiring inside the straps.

Leather seems like it could be awfully heavy. I want sturdy but lightweight

if that makes sense.

Where are you going and how much are you carrying? I think that would determine how much paranoia you should have!

CB, I never said I was paranoid! I was just asking about bags!

Hi:) I know Magelllen's makes some with wiring inside the straps.

Leather seems like it could be awfully heavy. I want sturdy but lightweight

if that makes sense.

Yes it does make sense. Mine isn't that large, just enough for my camara, ID, tissues, wipes, hand sanitizer and moola.

I personally wanted something a little heavier so I'd feel it if it were manipulated by another person. I had a light cloth shopper for purchases.

Where are you going and how much are you carrying? I think that would determine how much paranoia you should have!

I think you were asking me about my paranoia. When I went to Italy the first time, I had heard about bag snatching on the subway or in crowds. I read about others who had lost their bags from those on the purse forum, and since I was traveling alone it was better to be aware and safe.

Just my choice.

Archived