Semi-live from Caribbean Princess - New York roundtrip to the Caribbean

RickEk

This will be a semi-live account of our cruise on the last Caribbean voyage of the Caribbean Princess for the near future. As many know and has been heavily discussed on this board, Princess has, for whatever reason, decided to reposition the Caribbean Princess to Europe for summer 2012 and will have no Caribbean voyages from New York City in 2012 (except for some repositioning cruises). At our M&G today, the Passenger Services director was asked about this but gave what seemed to me to be a canned answer that Princess redeploys ships to other homeports so that other folks around the world can cruise from a port near them. I think it's mainly about the yields... they can potentially make more money in Europe than sailing out of New York. While the ships are sailing full from New York, they are also heavily discounted. Anyway, I would think that Princess will resume Caribbean sailings from New York in 2013 or 2014. Many in our group definitely let the PSD know that they were disappointed.

So, our journey began two days earlier than the sailing. I'm sailing with my partner, my son and his friend. We flew Southwest to Newark mainly for the cheap flights. We stayed at the Penn Station Hilton in Newark. Our main objective here was that we had Princess transfers and wanted to remain close to the Newark Airport. We used the PATH trains to head to Manhattan which cost $3.50 roundtrip. From the end of the line at 33rd Street, we were able to easily walk to Times Square and other destinations. We walked around the city, had lunch at Carnegie Deli and eventually had dinner at the Spotted Pig in the West Village. Both meals were extraordinary. The next day, we went back to EWR and waited for the Princess transfer. We eventually got on the bus at about 12:15 and were onboard the ship by 1pm. We checked the Sanctuary, but all the sea days were sold out by then. We were not planning to do the Chef's Table this time around, but booked reservations at Sabatini's and Crown Grill. Hopefully, third time's the charm for Crown Grill for us, we've not had good luck there (once with terrible service, the other with terrible food). Sailaway was great, we staked out a position on the railing near the golf cages. Great views of the Statue of Liberty and the Verazzano Narrows Bridge. We have a balcony on Caribe deck and have certainly been enjoying the space and fresh air. From what I've seen of the pool decks, they're very crowded and so that adds to our enjoyment of the balcony. We have traditional dinner at the 6pm seating in the Palm Dining Room with a table for four by a window. Dinner last night was great, I had the prime rib as always and it was done to perfection. I had the fettucini as an appetizer and it really is very good, as was the flourless chocolate cake for dessert.

Anyway, back to relaxing... if anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer, but it may take a day or so for me to find the gumption to fire up the computer.

This will be a semi-live account of our cruise on the last Caribbean voyage of the Caribbean Princess for the near future. As many know and has been heavily discussed on this board, Princess has, for whatever reason, decided to reposition the Caribbean Princess to Europe for summer 2012 and will have no Caribbean voyages from New York City in 2012 (except for some repositioning cruises). At our M&G today, the Passenger Services director was asked about this but gave what seemed to me to be a canned answer that Princess redeploys ships to other homeports so that other folks around the world can cruise from a port near them. I think it's mainly about the yields... they can potentially make more money in Europe than sailing out of New York. While the ships are sailing full from New York, they are also heavily discounted. Anyway, I would think that Princess will resume Caribbean sailings from New York in 2013 or 2014. Many in our group definitely let the PSD know that they were disappointed.

So, our journey began two days earlier than the sailing. I'm sailing with my partner, my son and his friend. We flew Southwest to Newark mainly for the cheap flights. We stayed at the Penn Station Hilton in Newark. Our main objective here was that we had Princess transfers and wanted to remain close to the Newark Airport. We used the PATH trains to head to Manhattan which cost $3.50 roundtrip. From the end of the line at 33rd Street, we were able to easily walk to Times Square and other destinations. We walked around the city, had lunch at Carnegie Deli and eventually had dinner at the Spotted Pig in the West Village. Both meals were extraordinary. The next day, we went back to EWR and waited for the Princess transfer. We eventually got on the bus at about 12:15 and were onboard the ship by 1pm. We checked the Sanctuary, but all the sea days were sold out by then. We were not planning to do the Chef's Table this time around, but booked reservations at Sabatini's and Crown Grill. Hopefully, third time's the charm for Crown Grill for us, we've not had good luck there (once with terrible service, the other with terrible food). Sailaway was great, we staked out a position on the railing near the golf cages. Great views of the Statue of Liberty and the Verazzano Narrows Bridge. We have a balcony on Caribe deck and have certainly been enjoying the space and fresh air. From what I've seen of the pool decks, they're very crowded and so that adds to our enjoyment of the balcony. We have traditional dinner at the 6pm seating in the Palm Dining Room with a table for four by a window. Dinner last night was great, I had the prime rib as always and it was done to perfection. I had the fettucini as an appetizer and it really is very good, as was the flourless chocolate cake for dessert.

Anyway, back to relaxing... if anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer, but it may take a day or so for me to find the gumption to fire up the computer.

Hi Rick.......

No questions but one self serving. Can you ask the PSD to please find me a cabin for Sept. 3rd, so I can get off that darn waitlist. Thanks. ;)

Have a great cruise.

Hey, I'm going to be on the Carribean Princess on August 6 through the 13! For a Canada/New England cruise, round trip from New York. There are eight of us going, from my 80 year old dad down to my 1 year old son.

Is the buffet open 24 hours, or does it close by midnight?

If it closes, how late is the International Cafe open?

When they have the Captain's Circle past passenger party, please post if it is just one big party in the atrium or smaller groups in Club Fusion.

Thanks

Keep posting - we have friends on the ship with you - I want to know how smoothly things go!

So far, for us, everything has gone very smoothly.

When they have the Captain's Circle past passenger party, please post if it is just one big party in the atrium or smaller groups in Club Fusion.

Thanks

I'll check, but my son reports that he saw people getting food after midnight from the buffet.

Captain's Circle party is next week...I'll let you know.

Who is the cruise director?

Neil Roberts... okay so far... he's a likeable chap.

What deck were you on for sail a way? We will be on the Caribbean Princess in two weeks. Thanks

Vicky

We were on the Sky deck near the new golf cages and the new putt-putt golf course (well, at least new to us).

Hi Rick.......

No questions but one self serving. Can you ask the PSD to please find me a cabin for Sept. 3rd, so I can get off that darn waitlist. Thanks. ;)

Have a great cruise.

LOL... I'll ask.. :D

How did you like the Hilton?

We are staying there for two nights before our cruise in Oct and doing the same thing as you. Pathing into NYC, spending the day, pathing back to the hotel and using the Princess transfers to get to the ship.

Have a great cruise :)

How did you like the Hilton?

We are staying there for two nights before our cruise in Oct and doing the same thing as you. Pathing into NYC, spending the day, pathing back to the hotel and using the Princess transfers to get to the ship.

Have a great cruise :)

The Hilton was fine. Good beds, clean rooms. It was very convenient and fairly inexpensive (compared to Manhattan hotels).

------------------

Today, we made it to Bermuda. Last time I took this cruise, we had to skip Bermuda due to weather. I can certainly see that the conditions have to be good for the ship to dock. I was up at 6am and watched our approach on the bridge wings. The captain has to basically thread a needle as he navigates toward the harbor.

We bought the $12 all-day pass and took the ferry to Hamilton. We walked around a bit and then took the 7 bus to Horseshoe Bay. Great beach and since we were the only ship in port (Dawn Princess arrived in the late morning), it wasn't too crowded. We had fun in the water and after a few hours took the bus back to the Dockyard. We walked around for about an hour and we've just got back. Sailaway is in a hour and I expect to be on deck for the party. Tomorrow is a sea day and I'll probably be spending some quality time on our balcony. :)

Thanks for keeping us posted -- I'm so glad you made it to Bermuda, which is definitely one of my faves. Hmm, sounds like you may have missed out on the rum cake bakery/shop in the Dockyards -- so good, they should be illegal.

Enjoy your sea day tomorrow, and hoist a Chairman of the Board for me!

Thanks

Yes .. Very good questions (me too..please :))

Have a great cruise

Srpilo

Well, it was a relaxing day at sea until...

We were enjoying the complementary sushi at the Platinum/Elite lounge when the Captain broke in with a very important message. Because of a tropical depression that has formed south of the Lesser Antilles, we are changing our itinerary from San Juan tomorrow to St. Thomas instead. We are scheduled to arrive at 12 noon and stay till 7pm. Then we'll sail to San Juan scheduled to arrive at 7am and leave at 4pm. Grand Turk is the same as scheduled. I guess we'll see what happens. No worries from us, but it will be interesting to gauge the reactions of the rest of the passengers. ;)

And rdsqrl, I will certainly hoist that Chairman of the Board for ya!! I'm on my way!

We were enjoying the complementary sushi at the Platinum/Elite lounge when the Captain broke in with a very important message. Because of a tropical depression that has formed south of the Lesser Antilles, we are changing our itinerary from San Juan tomorrow to St. Thomas instead. We are scheduled to arrive at 12 noon and stay till 7pm. Then we'll sail to San Juan scheduled to arrive at 7am and leave at 4pm. Grand Turk is the same as scheduled. I guess we'll see what happens. No worries from us, but it will be interesting to gauge the reactions of the rest of the passengers. ;)

!

Interesting development, since that "tropical depression" is no longer being talked about in Florida. Something was mentioned last night, but nothing at all today.

Interesting development, since that "tropical depression" is no longer being talked about in Florida. Something was mentioned last night, but nothing at all today.

According to the National Hurricane Center's (NOAA) report that was issued today 8/31 at 8 p.m. there is a 90% change of tropical cyclone development within 48 hours:

"REGARDLESS OF TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION...THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL AND GUSTY WINDS TO PORTIONS OF THE LESSER ANTILLES TONIGHT AND MONDAY"

I'm hoping it fizzles out for Rick's sake and my own (heading north on the CB this Saturday).

Thanks

The buffet is open till 4am and then reopens at 6am. Not exactly 24 hours, but way close. International Cafe is open from 6am till 11pm.

We haven't had the Captain's Circle parties yet... I'll keep you posted.

According to the National Hurricane Center's (NOAA) report that was issued today 8/31 at 8 p.m. there is a 90% change of tropical cyclone development within 48 hours:

"REGARDLESS OF TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION...THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL AND GUSTY WINDS TO PORTIONS OF THE LESSER ANTILLES TONIGHT AND MONDAY"

I'm hoping it fizzles out for Rick's sake and my own (heading north on the CB this Saturday).

Yeah, we're hoping Tropical Storm Don fizzles too or heads west. Since St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are so close, we're wondering how changing the itinerary is helping, but we assume that since Charlotte Amalie faces south and San Juan is approached from the north that they believe that will be a factor in being able to dock successfully. We'll see and keep y'all posted.

----------------------------------------------

So our day at sea ended with a fantastic meal at Crown Grill. This was our third attempt at Crown Grill and I guess third time's the charm. We had great service (Joan from Peru was extraordinary!) and the meal was great. Ribeye was done to perfection, the sides were tasty and the cheesecake parfait is to die for. Best meal so far... and our other meals haven't been bad at all...

Also, 'twas great to see Aggie again. He was head bartender at Crooner's last time we took this voyage two years ago, but he is now the bar supervisor. Congrats to him!

And rdsqrl, I will certainly hoist that Chairman of the Board for ya!! I'm on my way!

Thanks for the LIVE updates!

Looks like the CB is not the only changing their ports/times.

This is from the RCCL boards:

"Just found out from family onboard the Oasis of the Seas this week that due to the storm, they are going to go to Costa Maya and Cozumel instead of St. Thomas and St. Maarten"

I don't know about that. I'm in Southwest Florida and it has been on our news all weekend. They are especially watching it this morning.

Archived