Cabin - size or position?

oskarNZ

Whats more important - cabin size or cabin position?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Whats more important - cabin size or cabin position?

• Size. I'd much rather have a large cabin.
    • Position. I like cabins in the middle of the ship.
    • It doesn't bother me. I'm just happy to be on vacation.

Hi everyone,

In an ideal world, we would all be able to pick a cabin that is perfect for our needs. Unfortunately, for most of us, there needs to be some degree of compromise.

In my case I am trying to decide between 2 types of oceanview cabins, one with the advantage of size and the other with the advantage of position.

The better-positioned cabins are in the middle of the ship and therefore closer to more public areas and less susceptible to movement. They are of standard size i.e large enough to be adequate, but small enough that you need to squeeze past the end of the bed to get to the bathroom.

The well-sized cabins are right at the front of the ship, but are almost as large as a mini-suite. There is only a small handful of these cabins available.

The price and potential noise level of both cabin types seems to be fairly similar.

I should mention that there will be three of us in the cabin. It's a 14 night cruise around Southeast Asia on the Millenium, with 5 of those days being sea days. We've never sailed in rough seas so we aren't really sure if we're susceptible to sea sickness.

Am very interested in your thoughts.

Millenium is a big ship so you shouldn't overly suffer at the front of the ship if size of cabin matters to you.

I have cruised Asia several times times and some itineraries are more in open seas than others - you don't mention which one you are looking at (I have just booked the Gems of Asia on Millenium 6th Jan 2013, and I am not expecting that to be rough at all - especially though the Straits of Malacca, which are like a millpond!)

The only Millenium Asia itinerary that I would not book at front cabin for is the one visiting Korea and Japan in Apr 2013 as that is still early Spring season (Korea in particular) and may be susceptible to rougher seas (which we experienced at this time of year also)

The Hong Kong to Sing itineraries should all be nice sailings, so you should be fine with a front cabin on those.

Happy cruising :)

It's true you don't spend much time in your cabin, but you do sleep there. Depending in the orientation of the beds and the pitch of the ship, a cabin at the front of the ship might become unpleasant for that time when you are trying to rest. I personally prefer cabins amidship or aft about 1/3 from the stern.

I have just looked at those ocean views -try to go for Deck 6/7 first as the higher you go, the more you might feel the side to side as well as front to back movement. You will feel less side to side movement on this deck than on deck 8/9. Hope that makes sense!

This is all just precautionary, as hopefully the seas will be fine.:)

Thank you everyone for your input. It's very interesting, so please keep it coming.

Lbackwith, what a coincidence! We are on the 6th Jan cruise also. The itinerary is what sold it for me, particularly the stop in Komodo. Visiting ecologically unique islands such as Komodo and the Galapagos Islands have always been high on my bucket list.

It is very interesting (and pleasing) to hear your predictions about the ocean. My biggest concerns had been with the waters around Indonesia. To be honest, I know nothing about the roughness of Indonesian waters. However I do know that January is hurricane season for the South Pacific and parts of Northeast Australia. I wasn't sure if these hurricanes ever reached Indonesia. if you have any info on the matter, I'd love to hear it.

Also, thanks for the advice on what decks to pick. At present I'm booked in 6001 which looks straight out over the helipad. The photos I've found of the cabin show it to be really spacious and the reviews I've read suggest that you can't hear the theatre below. I'm just worried about the movement and was considering a move to midship deck 2. I was also considering cabin 6019 which is narrow but really long.

At the end of the day, I'm probably thinking way too much about this decision and should probably just go with the flow. It's just that now is a great time to be picking a cabin since the cruise is still a long way away and most cabins are still available.

In case anyone is interested, here's a link to someone's blog which includes a picture and description of the type of larger cabin that I'm referring to.

http://www.paulandlibby.com/index.php/2011/02/cruise-day-2-at-sea-2/

My husband is over 6ft and I wouldn't be surprised if his feet hang over the end of those curved edge beds. Having all that space at the end of the bed would at least ensure that his ankles won't get knocked everytime my son goes past to the bathroom.

OskarNZ

I am expecting Monsoon season, rather than hurricane season, but that does not put me off in the slightest as downpours are swift and pass very quickly, bring a waterproof and hat!! In this kind of climate, the rain can be quite refreshing at times.

As you say, this is a wonderful itinerary visiting places that a lot of mass market lines never ever get to so what an opportunity, which is affordable also. Komodo, Lombok and Bali (overnight too!) will be new ports for us.

6001 looks great from the photos, so yes i think that's an excellent choice. I thought you might be considering 6019 also - both would be my choice of Ocean View.

You don't say who the third person is, if it is a child, then I'd be more cautious about potential motion-sickness in a front cabin - but nowadays there are great medicines around for motion sickness.

Happy planning!

I went with position, but only if you are going to have OV or veranda. If you can't see the water, it doesn't matter. If you can, then it is nice to be able to wake up or spend the sunset relaxing on your balcony right in the middle of the ship where you can see everything.

I would vote for "position", BUT, with a different twist. From our Solstice experience two months ago, that ship is large enough with the right technology for stabilizing bars, that motion was not an issue or concern.

Being somewhat near one of the two main elevator banks on the ship makes a difference in saving time and not being "bored" walking and walking down long, long corridors. Being near the elevator banks (we were more forward in that area), made it easy to zip up to the top or lower levels. Then, when walking to the other/back end of the ship, you were in areas with lots of activities and people, making that passage/walk more interesting.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 34,731 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I would do a search on that cabin number. I was considering that area and there are more issues there than just the increased size. Other people have loved it though.

That's what I'd do too. It's more useful to take comments on a cabin from over the years rather than a snapshot poll. To the OP, near the top right hand corner of the main Celebrity board just below the page numbers there is "Search this forum". Click on it, insert the cabin number and change the selection from "threads" to "posts" so it's easier to look through. If you don't find many for your cabin change it to another cabin number that is like yours.

Phil

I have been on small, midsize and large ships...ocean and river...old and new....suites, concierge, standard veranda, ocean view, and inside. My choice is to be on the ship.....best bang for the buck....gty is available and will save money. Midship is convenient for more places. Although on may last cruise on the Millenium I was deck 7 mid ship....ideal except for elite cocktails which were in the far forward lounge. On older ships the aft cabins have more vibration, forward cabins have more motion, higher decks can be rocky, and never pay extra for a cabin under the pool deck. The optimum location if you pick a cabin is midship on a deck that is between 2 decks of cabins...quieter. There are deck plans available for all ships...look at them...and also ask people on cruisecritic for opinions. Sometimes there are things that don't show on deck plans that you may want to avoid. Cruisecritics saved me from a cabin opposite the laundry on Azamara. Thnaks.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I have actually done some research on those cabins, quite a bit actually, and am aware of other potential concerns. However, after weighing up all pros and cons, it came down to position and size being the make or break factors for me - hence the reason for the poll.

While I did consider a balcony cabin at the start, we started thinking about what we could do with the $NZ1000 we could save (spa treatments, drink packages, lots of shopping or a nice hotel stay in Singapore etc etc) and decided we would be quite happy with an oceanview. Besides, past holidays suggest that we wouldn't use the balcony that much anyway. We didn't even use our balcony that much on our Yangtze river cruise and there was always something to see during that trip.

With that in mind, our choice is limited to deck 2 or the forward cabins on decks 6 to 8. I'm not interested in the oceanviews on deck 3 as they are under too many public spaces (some of which might change during the refit next year).

The cabin I'm booked in is next to a crew staircase. I read a review from about 6 years ago said that the staircase was noisy, but all of the newer reviews I found said that they didn't hear a thing from the stairwell or the theatre. There was a comment that someone heard a little bit of noise from the crew deck (behind the theatre and a few foors down), but that was only on one night of their cruise. I figure that I can live with that. I cruised mid ship around the Meditteranean and my only noise complaint was with inconsiderate passengers talking loudly as they walked past our cabin to the elevators. At least 6001 will have no passengers walking past. I could be wrong, but I also figured that deck 2 will hear more engine and anchor noise. Therefore, all things considered, I think noise level from either cabin will be much of a muchness.

The only other potential concern I could find with 6001 was that crew are occassionally out on the helipad, making the cabin slightly less private. But on the plus side, I love the idea of being able to see straight out the front of the ship and see where we are heading. I'm sure my son will love having a similar view to that of the captain.

ORV, if you have heard of any other potential concerns with this cabin, please let me know. I'd love to hear them, so I can make an informed decision.

I really couldn't care less about location. A little movement doesn't bother me and I don't mind long walks. Give me the biggest cabin with the biggest balcony I can afford and it can be on the lowest deck at the front for all it would matter to me :)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I have actually done some research on those cabins, quite a bit actually, and am aware of other potential concerns. However, after weighing up all pros and cons, it came down to position and size being the make or break factors for me - hence the reason for the poll.

While I did consider a balcony cabin at the start, we started thinking about what we could do with the $NZ1000 we could save (spa treatments, drink packages, lots of shopping or a nice hotel stay in Singapore etc etc) and decided we would be quite happy with an oceanview. Besides, past holidays suggest that we wouldn't use the balcony that much anyway. We didn't even use our balcony that much on our Yangtze river cruise and there was always something to see during that trip.

With that in mind, our choice is limited to deck 2 or the forward cabins on decks 6 to 8. I'm not interested in the oceanviews on deck 3 as they are under too many public spaces (some of which might change during the refit next year).

The cabin I'm booked in is next to a crew staircase. I read a review from about 6 years ago said that the staircase was noisy, but all of the newer reviews I found said that they didn't hear a thing from the stairwell or the theatre. There was a comment that someone heard a little bit of noise from the crew deck (behind the theatre and a few foors down), but that was only on one night of their cruise. I figure that I can live with that. I cruised mid ship around the Meditteranean and my only noise complaint was with inconsiderate passengers talking loudly as they walked past our cabin to the elevators. At least 6001 will have no passengers walking past. I could be wrong, but I also figured that deck 2 will hear more engine and anchor noise. Therefore, all things considered, I think noise level from either cabin will be much of a muchness.

The only other potential concern I could find with 6001 was that crew are occassionally out on the helipad, making the cabin slightly less private. But on the plus side, I love the idea of being able to see straight out the front of the ship and see where we are heading. I'm sure my son will love having a similar view to that of the captain.

ORV, if you have heard of any other potential concerns with this cabin, please let me know. I'd love to hear them, so I can make an informed decision.

Hi,:) I have been on deck 3 in a window behind Guest Relations and

just an FYI, it was very quiet and no noise from the deck above:)

I have also had 7001 and in 2 weeks will be in 7002. I have never been

in 6001 before but those cabins are larger with larger windows too.

My experiences in those cabins was on Summit~ she is sister

ship of Millennium with the same deck plans.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

Lois R, when you get back I'd love to hear how you find 7002, as that was another cabin I was considering. Also, how did you find the view out the window on 7001?

Lbackwith, I agree, a bit of rain is not going to put us off either. Also, from what I understand, the second half of our cruise (Malaysia and Thailand) should be mostly sunny and dry. It's a great itinerary and I acn't wait :)

Lois R, when you get back I'd love to hear how you find 7002, as that was another cabin I was considering. Also, how did you find the view out the window on 7001?

Lbackwith, I agree, a bit of rain is not going to put us off either. Also, from what I understand, the second half of our cruise (Malaysia and Thailand) should be mostly sunny and dry. It's a great itinerary and I acn't wait :)

Hi, 7001 was great:) 7002 is supposed to be even larger:D

The window is terrific. You have a good view of the Heliopad.:)

Size is most important to me, and that includes a balcony. I would not take a cruise without a balcony, no matter how cheap the cruise was.

If possible I also like a nice location, but that doesn't necessarily mean mid ship. Ideally, I like to have cabins above and below our cabin to minimize noise. I, also, love corner aft cabins because of their views. We had a corner junior suite on Radiance of the Seas in June which was wonderful for a cruise of that nature because we were able to get amazing views and photos of the Hubbard Glacier right from our balcony.

The least important thing to me is amenities provided by the cruise line. On a solstice class ship I will only book a regular balcony cabin or a sky suite, but wouldn't pay a dime extra for Aqua Spa or Concierge class since the cabins are the same size.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and votes in my poll. I think I might stick with the cabin we've got and make sure I take a supply of sea sickness tablets - just in case.

Lois R, I'm pleased you enjoyed your view out that window. I do like the idea of being able to see straight out the front of the ship :)

Bridge Maven, some of those corner afts look fabulous. The Family cabins on the Millenium have some of the biggest balconies I've ever seen. Originally there were going to be 4 of us on this cruise, so we applied for a Family View. We got turned down because apparently you need 5 people to reserve one of these cabins. It was strange as I'd read reviews from couples who'd had these cabins all to themselves.

I just came off of a cruise which was booked for me and while i loved the cabin and enjoyed the location, if i could do it again i would choose size over the location. I was mid ship right smack by the escalators and while i didn't spend a whole lot of time in my cabin so all in all it wasn't a huge issue, it did get a little cramped at the edge of bed when walking from one end of the room to the other. I found myself almost having to turn sideways when passing the edge. Although in all honesty i didn't use the balcony a whole lot actually i wasn't even in my room much so to tell you the truth neither really mattered and the vacation in itself enough. If i had to choose though size over location for sure. Especially after all the buffets and a walk would have done good!

Also i might add if your a light sleeper then i would actually avoid cabins really close to the escalators as you can hear the little tunes of the escalator as it stopped on the floor from the room. It was an issue through the day, at night it was mildly annoying but not an issue i still got to sleep pretty well but then again im a heavy sleeper. Also i was on an older ship(Century) perhaps on the newer ships they the elevators don't make as much noise or the walls are thicker.

Also to tell you the truth i kind of liked it when the ship was rocky.

Archived