Here comes know-it-all Miimito4 on her first Alaskan Regent cruise.

mimito4

Thanks! Good to know!

Good to know that we're fun, or good to know that we're only on loan? :p

Come on Cat, come along for the fun ride. Truce, OK? :) Please tell me your #1 travel tip for traveling to Alaska on the Navigator. Please? Also, do you know how to wrestle with this packing business? I am starting to get concerned.

Peggy, glad you weighed in, and particularly glad you're OK. See you in a few days!

Okay -- certainly willing to try. Cannot give only one tip. Here are a few.

1. Unless you absolutely hate beer, take the "Ale Trail" excursion in Astoria, Oregon. Astoria has very little of interest, but the Ale Trail was a blast. Each brewery gave little nibbles of tasty treats. Fun atmosphere.

2. It is going to be cold and rainy. No need to pack anything for warm weather (similiar to our May cruises). But, when in Juneau or Ketchikan, you can pick up wonderful jackets and sweatshirts for $20 and under. Amazing for gifts. Both my DH and I have them and love them.

3. Don't even bother trying to wear different things on your excursions. Pack a couple of outfits and either wash them yourselves or let Regent do it. It isn't worth the hassle. At the end of the day whatever you are wearing will need to be washed.

4. You don't needs lots of layers at this time of the year. Pack for whatever the night temperature will be. You can then add a sweatshirt and/or jacket (preferably with a hood). Don't worry about what your hair will look like. . . . it won't look better or worse than anyone elses.

Remember that the 2nd night will be the Captain's Reception. If you want to avoid crowds, try to get to Compass Rose before 7:00 p.m. If you don't care, at least try to wait until 8:00 or 8:30. Compass Rose gets crazy on this night. Keep in mind that after you meet the Captain, you can get the same drinks in a lounge or in Compass Rose. Repeat cruisers do not tend to hang out at the Captain's Reception.

Most importantly, remember to have fun. The weather truly doesn't matter -- if it rains, so be it. Rain can be fun. It is the environment and the people that you are with that are important. We have stood outside viewing iceburgs and enjoying the magnificent sites. If you can't view Tracy Arm (and you have to trust me on this), there are other sights just as wonderful.

Just one short story. . . . . we went to port you will not be visiting. It was snowing. .. . it was freezing. . . . many people did not want to get off of the bus when we reached our destination. Of course, I did. I went inside this very small little shop and spoke with the woman that runs it. She showed me photos of what it is like in the winter (cannot see the shop as it is covered) -- what it looks like with bears, etc. She was delightful -- a woman I will never forget.

Savor and enjoy every moment:-)

Jackie is right about the rush for dinner the second night (and in her other points as well) but you should to go to the Captain's Welcome Aboard party - if only to meet Captain Felice Patruno and Michael Coghlan, the GM. They are both super guys and the best at what they do.

The rest of the crew/staff is excellent too but these two are special.

My opinion only . . . . Peggy

Peggy, it appears that our flights (first one to DFW @ 6:10AM) are a go tomorrow...wasn't the case this morning, tho'. We fly out of PHL thru DFW to Vancouver...used miles for first class tickets on American Airlines. Will have to cancel my Delta flights to Vancouver tomorrow (emergency backup) and hope that we can use a credit for a future flight (less change fee and God only knows what other fees also). So glad to hear that you, too, should get out tomorrow. I've just started packing...and as Teresa said, it's a nightmare. We are used to cruising in warm weather or going to the Caribbean...so packing is very light. Rain coats, fleece coats, vests, headgear, long underwear, sweaters, etc. are taking up too much room. LOL. Where are you staying in Vancouver? Linda & Larry

In flight now posting from my iPad (I do so love technology) Surely you folks didn't think you'd get by without a boring play by play did you? See my avatar for a clear understanding. :p

I wrestled the packing demons to the ground. I think I won, thanks to the good advice of so many of you CCers. I even think I managed to pack rather lightly, which is no small feat considering I've been a slave to fashion most of my adult life (minor league, not the majors, although my Don might argue that). ;)

In it's a small world news category, just heard from a friend at 1:30 this morning that he is in Vancouver at the hotel right next to us. How exciting! We'll have dinner tonight with him. We dined last with him on SeaDream last December. Yay! What a perfect start to our vacation.

I'd be disappointed if we DIDN'T get the play by play!!!

We stayed at the PP (sadly just one night) before our Alaskan cruise in '09. If you don't have a place chosen for dinner with your friend, I highly recommend an Italian place called Al Porto in the Gaslight district within an easy walk of the hotel. It was lovely and the food was SO good. http://www.alporto.ca/

HI T and Don, hope your Alaska voyage is absolutely terrific. Can't wait to see those wonderful photos with your posts that I know are coming with Don and your smiling faces.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Randomness is infinitely more interesting than planned.

I just made that up, unless I lied and read it in a novel or something and forgot. If so, well, i'm busted for plagiarism.

Anyway, the point is we're here in Vancouver at the Pan Pacific. Just finished a great visit with our friend (hence the random reference since I didn't know until 2 a.m. or so that he would be here). Won't get to have dinner because of his work which is too bad, but still, certain things in life you just can't make up. Isn't life grand? Aren't we all lucky to be present to such moments?

I realize this is not an Oceania board or thread, but the Regatta is here. She's beautiful. I'm on "lite" wireless access here at the hotel since I'm being cheap ($4.95 vs $14.95) so uploading photos is impossible, otherwise I'd post one of her. Later for that.

Queasy & Elmwood, thanks for the dining recommendations. We’ll for sure try

one tonight. . .that is, if Don doesn't nap the night away.

Wes, thanks. We're going to enjoy the $200 obc, courtesy of your sponsorship.

We're pooped. Long day crossing all that geography, plus time change. It was thrilling to see the snow covered Canadian Rockies from the air.

L&l and Peggy, safe travels. See you soon.

Just returned form our first Regent/Alaska cruise and it was worth every penny. Sailed Carnival a couple of times and it's like the difference between night and day.There is absolutely nothing we wanted that they didn't get for us. We spent a great deal of time on our balcony in the evening because we had a full moon and it was fantastic shining on the water with no light deprevation at all. I'm from West Texas and used to pretty full moons I can see, but this was unbelievably. I decided to drink Colorado Bulldogs one evening and went to lounge to get a couple in tall glasses to take to the room and bartender said to just call room service and they'd bring them up to me if I wanted more, I said that's a bit much don't you think for a coulpe of drinks and he said THAT"S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR. That's the attitude of everyone of the staff!

Do take the Ocean rafting trip in beautiful Sitka, and the Zip-lines in Skagway. Those were our 2 favorites. I fell in love with Sitka and WILL be going back there when I get the chance. It's magical.

You will love it!

Where was I?*

First off, glad you're here safe and sound Peggy. Hope L & L got in as well.*

Let me just say before I get off and running, as I like to do, that Vancouver has it going on. Like really. What an absolutely glorious city! *I'm in love.*

We had a busy, awesome day today, made easy by the gorgeous day. Started out cloudy, but Mother Nature decided to smile upon us. We took the hop-on, hop-off trolley, which is perfect for getting an overview of the city.*

Last night we had a room picnic, thanks to Urban Fare. We didn't intend that, but once we got there on a hunt for fresh fruit to snack on, well, we just hit the wall, and decided on some cheese, bread, olives, wine. Went back to our hotel, and well. . .that was our dinner. One of those little pleasures, you know. . .no compelling desire to do anything but get your jammies on and have a picnic in bed, toasting your good fortune.*

Did I mention that Vancouver is my new fav city?

1ec36a90.jpg

fea8ca54.jpg

7d556bdb.jpg

I have no earthly idea why those asterisks are in my post. Ummmmm. Oh well.

Today we visited and loved:

1 The classic Chinese gardens in Chinatown. Quick enrichment of the day--classic Chinese gardens always contain 4 elements--water, vegetation, stone & architecture.

828d4a67.jpg

7e5ab8e8.jpg

acef0968.jpg

We Cincinnatians have no shame. We just go ahead and wear those Bengals shirts. . .hope springs eternal. ;

2. Stanley Park. I'm jealous of the people who live here and can enjoy this beauty all the time. Talk about quality of life. No wonder they're all so friendly. It's simple. They're happy and know they're darn lucky.

3. Thought the Gastown district was just darling. Had a lovely lunch at Chill Winston, a nice place with sidewalk dining, specializing in fresh, local, sustainable ingredients. Very good. The corner area reminded us of Paris.

2ae044df.jpg

Like I said, no shame. Isn't he cute though?

We followed Queasy's suggestion and dined at Al Porto. Yummy, but I think it was worth about 2 pounds, so not sure I should thank you :eek:

And remember I told you that the Regatta was here yesterday right beneath our feet?

8c0baae1.jpg

And finally, the first animal sighting. . .

4028e963.jpg

Yes, it's me. I too have no shame. :p

Thank you all for following along. Your comments are dear and I appreciate all the suggestions you've made. Stay tuned. So excited for tomorrow when we board!!

Archived