Here comes know-it-all Miimito4 on her first Alaskan Regent cruise.

mimito4

All the pictures and your descriptions have been fabulous! You have a gift for storytelling. I've so enjoyed your Alaskan cruise (and somewhat reliving my own)!

And, if it's possible, you've gotten me even more excited to board the Navigator on Monday!!!! :D

Enjoy these last couple of days...

You are in Astoria today and I am sure that that the weather is sunny and beautiful. There has been somewhat of a heatwave for the past week that is scheduled to continue another few days.

Your crab feast did bring back memories of ours two years ago. Love the taste of the crab (although the east coast has wonderful crab as well). Hope the beer fest goes well. It was a new tour when we went on it and the group was fun. Look forward to your report.

Yes indeed, we are in Astoria today and the weather is lovely. Since I have 3G here at the port and a little time before our excursion, i'd like to leisurely respond to some of your comments.

Again, thank you for so many nice compliments and well wishes. As i've said before, it really is the reward for sharing one's journey. As well, all of the suggestions leading up to and during this journey have been right on. Thanks sooooooo much for those!

Wes, thanks for the info and link for Stephanie, Michael Coghlan's wife. We will look forward to viewing that when we're back home on our wireless.

Miles, you've been playing nice of late so no worry about the video. Rest assured though, you Peter Pan you, that there is an ever-present threat of it should you start misbehaving again. And who knows, perhaps I've even

photoshopped it :D

Poor Keith, we have been thinking so much about you Texans. As though the extreme heat and drought wasn't enough, now the fires. Good thoughs for relief soon!

Hoosier74, yes we Cincinnatians do still grieve our beloved Maisonette. Next time you pass through, you must try John-Robert's Table. He was the former 5 star chef at Maisonette, and now his restaurant is THE place.

Queasy, you are in for a treat! I'm sure the crew is so ready for warmer, sunnier conditions, and the joy of that will be reflected I have no doubt. Remind them all of our fondness when you board. Also look for 2 delightful British couples traveling together--John & Roberta(dead ringer for Judith Dench) and Philip & Tess. We've had great fun with them, and they are continuing on this next leg. They know nothing of CC, but if you happen upon them, give our regards.

With that said, I must also acknowledge our most delightful fellow guests. In addition to the couples mentioned previously, we have been most fortunate to break bread and share (far too much) wine with Coby & Matt (Santa Rosa,

CA), Janet & Time (SoCal), and Linda & Larry (NJ). Honestly feel they will continue to be friends. . .hopefully. Many others with whom we have shared conversations, excursions and warm smiles. Something about this Navigator, me thinks!

Tonight we go to Prime 7 for our special tonight. Happy Anniversary to us. How did I get so lucky?

6a0b6b65.jpg

Perhaps you wonder how we already got this cake? Well, we dined the other night there to celebrate cute Coby's birthday and i'm afraid they had it mixed up with our anniversary. The crew all felt terrible, but Coby was a great sport. Another reason we like this couple so much.

c6165cc1.jpg

I do go on and on. Be assured there will be more to come. You're thinking, "is that a threat?". Haha :p

Teresa, thank you for sharing your wonderful journey with those who are home. So glad that you have enjoyed being on Regent and i h.ope that possibly our paths shall cross on a future cruise. Have a wonderful anniversary. I think that being on a cruise is a perfect way to celebrate such a happy occasion. Have a marvelous day.

A quick few pictures while I still have port wifi. . .

ed621ffc.jpg

The glorious Butchart Gardens

917a7eb0.jpg

99d239df.jpg

Coby and I "hiding" our Regent-caused tummies. I think it worked. . .sort of.

And today in Astoria. We did so enjoy the Ale Trail. Reminded me of the old college days and pub crawls (and I do mean crawl!)

99889b52.jpg

We are leaving Astoria this minute. We also got our disembarkation info today. Ugh. Makes me want to pout and act ugly :(

bb7b2f81.jpg

Thank you so very much. I am flattered beyond words.

Well, we're on the home stretch. I pronounce today the official BOOHOO DAY. I hate when the suitcases get pulled out from under the bed, the survey and luggage tags show up, and that tacky plastic bed protector thingee gets put on the bed, the implication being, get busy, pack up and clear out! How dare them bust my buzz like that. To whom do I complain about such treatment? ;) Shall I write about this on the survey?? Color me sad.

On an up note, since I'm not the type to stay sad for long, Don came in second in the blackjack tournament today! Woohoo! The upside down version of Boohoo :p. Thank goodness for my good man's good luck or else we'd be in trouble. I too played and won only 1 hand. 1! That's it. No amount of strategy will compensate for those kinda cards, right?

We have a gentleman onboard who is 101! He has proof because he still has a driver's license (and does indeed drive). He is sharp and plays blackjack every night. Don, a retired physician, is fascinated with him. We found out from him that his father lived over 100 years, and his sister lived to be 99. This guy is proof of what Don likes to say, "what matters more than anything is who you choose to be your parents.". ;)

The captain tells us that we should be sailing under the Golden Gate bridge around 6 am. I'm not a morning person, but I so hope I can pretend I'm Keith and arise early this once to get a photo. Keep your fingers crossed for me. It might just all depend on Eduardo, my man in the Navigator Lounge. ;). The rascal. Probably his fault I've been sleeping in so often on this voyage.

Teresa, I am sure that you will be up early with your trusty camera to get a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge. If for some reason you miss it, just use this one which I took less than three weeks ago on our arrival to San Francisco.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mIwFPZduVOQ/TlZL9dpNR2I/AAAAAAAAKU4/Wj6MHp9X4Jc/s1600/P1070218.jpg

I've enjoyed each and everyone of your posts.

Safe travels to you and to Don.

Keith

I too would like to chime in as to how wonderful it has been following along on your cruise. So humorous and uplifting! Might you add more photos and thoughts after your return? And, love love Eduardo! He is fantastic! Hope to see him next June. Thank you so much.

Barb

Oh my, you might be sorry you encouraged me. Remember how I do go on and on. But, the answer is yes. We have a non-stop flight, so knowing that I'll be bored out of my skin, if the satellite Internet access is good, well, I'll probably be talking atcha all the way across the country.

Seriously, after I get home and work through my piles of laundry, get in some grandchildren fixes and snuggle with my little doggie, I will indeed write my

thoughts and opinions about the overall experience.

That said, I have zero reservations this minute about recommending Regent to anyone and everyone. I say it that way because I want to specifically include both luxury cruisers and mass line cruisers.

I went into this voyage with lots of doubt, and perhaps lowered expectations, because there is no lack of negativity on this board. Perhaps this is true on all the boards. Regardless, I am beyond pleased with EVERY ASPECT. Regent has exceeded my expectations. BY A LOT.

I only have one complaint, and it has to do with that highly subjective topic--food. Stay tuned.

PS. Darn you, Keith, ssssshhhhhhhh, I was gonna snag your photo and pretend I arose early and took it. Shameless is my nickname. . .you know it. :p

Well, let the post-cruise blues begin.:(

We are now having coffee in Delta's Sky Lounge, and we had to make our own "instant" cappuccino. It tastes nothing like Eduardo's, and even more sadly, it didn't come with Eduardo sweet, kind smile.

I did get ip in time to see us sail under the Golden Gate, and that was quite thrilling. I'm so glad I didn't have to snag Keith's and claim ownership.

920de7e2.jpg

Later.

As we are in the air headed towards Cincinnati, I am reminded that I keep forgetting to tell you all that one of the enrichment speakers we had onboard was from Cincinnati. He is a master sommelier and chef, and owns a restaurant there, the Local 127. He did a couple of cooking classes and always had good attendance.

Let's talk crew. Honestly every single person we encountered treated us like royalty.

There is a big part of me that hates to mention specific people by name, knowing full well that by doing so, I am over-looking many others who deserve equal recognition, but still, I must make special note of those who stood out to us, and who personally served us.

Alberto always greeted us by name with a warm smile, and great service, regardless of how busy it was in Compass Rose. Likewise for Samir and Gilbert, head waiters, and the great smiley dining room manager (unfortunately I can't remember his name).

Noel made sure we never went thirsty, at least when it comes to the wine

pouring at dinner. He also scoops just the right amount of ice-cream, not too

much, not too little.

And once again, I cannot recall a name, but we adored the female sommelier in our dining area. It was like she was an educator with her advice and information.

Then there was the most delightful Mara who never failed to greet us by name and make us feel that we were the most important people she had ever met. I believe she is a head waiter, which reminds me that the head waiters WORK, unlike other cruise crews or set-ups i've seen. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but man, they work--clearing tables, etc. I even saw Samir directing luggage collection late last night! Now I don't mean to imply that head waiters on other cruise lines don't do their jobs, it's just that these guys really, really work.

We particularly enjoyed our pre-dinner cocktails in Galileo's where Yuri always saw to it that we had the perfect cocktail, all while holding "enrichment sessions" in history, etc. My husband adores him, and would sail on Regent again for Yuri alone! We like that he has an air of confidence about him, and is very educated and able to converse so well. Good cocktails and good conversation-- the perfect traits of a world class bartender!::D

Those perfect double shot cappuccinos courtesy of Eduardo were so appreciated. And, if that wasn't enough, he even makes a creamy, perfect Pink Squirrel martini (you oldsters remember that cocktail?). I don't believe we ever had to say what we wanted after the first time. Eduardo would just hold up 2 fingers to indicate 2 espresso shots, and waited for the nod he knew would be coming from me. Occasionally I'd hold up just one finger, and he'd

nod and throw that great smile. Must have known this hyperactive gal had no business doing double shots of espresso! :eek:

Also, favorite waiters in the Navigator Lounge, etc were I Made, George, Anthony and of course, Rina, who with good-humor puts up with all the male

waiters.

Always got prompt courteous attention from the reception desk. Anna was usually the one who helped me. Btw, when our dog-sledding excursion was cancelled, we got the $ back in cash. In fact, we had that plus $87 left over of the $300 Platinum Am/Ex bonus and the $200 ambassador credit we received from Col Wes sponsoring us, and yet they even gave us the $87 back in cash. That surprised me.:confused:

Ray, the CD? Well, he's the absolute best. A one man show in every way, and as busy as he must be, he always took the time to chat with all. Regent is very, very lucky to have him, and I certainly hope they treat him like the king he is.

And of course, I mentioned our impressive encounter with Michael, the general

manager. Well, each time we saw him after that, he called us by name and enquired about how our first Regent experience was going. After I told him I was writing about the experience on Cruise Critic, he laughed and said, "oh, it must be going ok, or I would have surely heard about it!". The implication, of course, was that Regent management DOES read CC and follows up with at

least some issues.

I promise an actual review at some point. In the meantime, again, thank you for all your feedback and lovely compliments. I've enjoyed that so much!

And once again, I cannot recall a name, but we adored the female sommelier in our dining area. It was like she was an educator with her advice and information.

That persons name is Daniella...

We have been thrilled with her knowledge and service on a number of occasions.

She is a pro and knows a lot about wine....and providing service..

On our last cruise with her this past March, when they ran out of my favorite wine, she found a similar one from the premium wine list and gave it to me for the rest of the cruise, at no additional charge. Pretty hard act to follow...

Always got prompt courteous attention from the reception desk. Anna was usually the one who helped me. Btw, when our dog-sledding excursion was cancelled, we got the $ back in cash. In fact, we had that plus $87 left over of the $300 Platinum Am/Ex bonus and the $200 ambassador credit we received from Col Wes sponsoring us, and yet they even gave us the $87 back in cash. That surprised me.:confused:

Very surprised that you got back money from Amex and/or Ambassador Credit. Those have in the past been use it or lose it and identified as such by the Reception Desk. You are the first person ever I have heard of getting cash back from either of those sources. Regent of course provides the Ambassador credit and partially helps with the Amex OBC.

Will have to try for a refund on our next cruise for the Amex credit and hope it works as others have reported that cancel and rebook doesn't work all the time for excursions.

Archived