Here comes know-it-all Miimito4 on her first Alaskan Regent cruise.

mimito4

Keith, where are you from? We were on the 8/17 Alaska sailing. Came back to Texas where we are so dry and hot! Makes watching Hubbard with sleet hitting us a very distant memory:)

We are also from Texas. The state with no rain. :D

We sailed Alaska on another luxury line.

I just wish we all could have brought back some rain and lower temperatures.

Keith

Love, love, love your otters.

Hope the seas calm down for you. That is really weird. We have been on a couple of Alaska cruises, and on both, it was totally calm. I was trying to convince a friend of mine who swears she gets seasick in the bathtub to try an Alaska cruise because it was so calm. But we were there in May and June. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Rachel, we are back in the open seas, having left the glacier, and it's quite rough again. I am good now because I am taking the meclizine, but otherwise. . . I do believe it is some of the roughest seas I've felt, perhaps having to do with the size of the Navigator.

I will also say that you folks didn't lie when you spoke of the vibration in the aft areas. It is quite noticeable at times in La Veranda and Galileo's. It doesn't bother me, but it is very apparent. I don't think I would have been happy with an aft suite, so thanks for your good advice.

We continue to enjoy the service, food and all amenities. Service is a bit slow each evening in Compass Rose, but we're so happy with the atmosphere, servers, and food, that, hey we're in no hurry to get anywhere anyway.

We saw the Regatta again. I got some great photos of her with a beautiful backdrop.

Later.

T, so sorry about your seas. Have done 3 Alaska cruises and was either lucky or have forgotten, and I am sea sick prone. But on my second cruise with Regent (on the Navigator) to the Baltics, when I went for lunch in what is now Veranda, I remember reporting that it made me feel like I'd had 3 martinis! Great to hear you are a real trooper. You just never know when you are on a ship where and when you will pitch and roll. But for sure, if you stick to the lower decks you will fare better. Eating lunch in CR way down for lunch might also work. I love having the equivalent of Galileo's on deck 6 on the Mariner! There is NO vibration anywhere on this ship, and if you have a future with Regent, would heartily recommend everything about it!

I like this Regent. I really do. I've been wondering for years if a cruise line could win me over and make me true. This might be it.

We shall see.

Loved meeting Peggy and Larry & Linda. I sooooooo want to be Peggy when I grow up. Nah, I want to be Peggy now. . .and I'm not just talking about the gazillion world cruises she has taken. I'm talking about the class she exudes. . .the fact that you wouldn't have known about the world cruises unless you pressed (I pressed as you might imagine.)

We found ourselves having so much fun that the cocktails turned into dinner with Linda & Larry (Peggy already had plans). Love 'em. We then went on to see the comedian. He was very, very good Great evening!

Peggy will hopefully jump in and tell about staff. I'm afraid i'm not much of a detail person ( at least when it comes to cruising). I did hear that we had a change of captain. I just know that the captain--and in this case--both captains, have not run us aground. I like that in a captain. ;)

Seas have settled down too, so good all around.

I like this Regent. I really do. I've been wondering for years if a cruise line could win me over and make me true. This might be it.

Seas have settled down too, so good all around.

T, Glad to hear that Regent Seven Seas is winning you over. It truly is a great line. You will leave so pampered and ready for more. So says a 19 year vet. Make an onboard booking and I think you will receive shipboard credits for your next cruise and a discount.

Having looked at your itinerary, I think your rough seas should be over for the next few days. As long as you are in the Inside Passage, it should be smooth sailing. :cool:

Sorry, as I said, can't even tell you who the captain is. Hopefully Peggy will jump in at some point and contribute those details. I'm afraid I'm hopeless about such things.:o

The next time my mind's eye tells my mind that I'm absolutely young and fit enough to kayak for two hours, in damp, cool weather no less, I hope some kind soul will intervene.*

That's just what Don and I did, and now we're both so sore we can hardly get out of our own way, let alone each other's.*

I promptly crawled back to the suite and called to schedule a massage. Fortunately, a slot was available, and in short order I was feeling better, at least for the short term. I have no illusions about what aches and pains tomorrow will bring, when, by the way, we do a hike excursion that has 3 little walker symbols. *The kayaking only had 2.*

Nuts, that'd be us.*

Anyway, enough complaining. *The kayaking took place in beautiful surroundings and it was very serene. We did see a couple of eagles, but that was about it. * Out of nowhere it seemed, the guide started telling us to move it, because a pod of killer whales was coming through. You should have seen how fast we started paddling!

Then right off the shore, we see a sea lion splashing about, then, get ready, dadadadadadadadadada (insert soundtrack from Jaws here). One after the other came the orcas, with those dorsal fins jutting out of the water. *Wow and wow! I was worried for the sea lion because the guide said he thought we might be in for a show, but thank goodness, the orcas' sonars didn't seem to pick him up.

As for our first Regent experience, we just could't be happier. I honestly feel like I'm on a Crystal ship where the service is fab, food is good (subjective I know),*everyone calls us by name, but where there is no formality (although people do dress nicely for dinner, which is what we want).

Ok, since I've jumped in this pool, might as well start swimming out. *The other lux line we love is SeaDream, and will always love it for certain things. *SeaDream owns the luxury barefoot Caribbean experience. Period. Even though we've done the Med a few times, we want to do the Med with SeaDream at some point because we think it will be to our liking as well.*

We're glad we didn't spring for a penthouse level. Don't see the value. Can't imagine what a butler would do for us that I can't do faster, or that our delightful steward Clive can't do.

Perhaps Regent sees this and that is why they're adding the concierge benefits to that level (I beg you, the collective you, not to jump on here though and start discussing concierge issues).*

Our fatigue led us to opting for our first room service dinner. Again, couldn't be happier. Our server was Jayson, who has served us breakfast in the suite a couple of times. *He's awesome. *I've filed the adoption papers. *We each ordered a glass of wine, Chardonnay for me, and Cabernet for Don, and they brought bottles! *I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but it'd be tough to complain about.*

Life is good. How fortunate we are!

Let it be known that I am not all talk. . .pictures occasionally get some stage time.

a7de018c.jpg

The real wildlife of Alaska, fellow Cruise Critic peeps. Larry & Linda (lrmorris) and Peggy (xrvlcruiser) with don and me in the Navigator lounge. Delightful people!

And just because I think this is a delightful photo I took today in Hoona

dd3908cf.jpg

Captain Felice Patruno was our Captain for the first couple of days.

Captain Ubaldo Armellino returned in Sitka and will be on for the immediate future.

Ray Solare is the CD (don't know his schedule)

Nicola Richards is the Assistant CD, she leaves shortly

Michael Coghlan is the General Manager until the ship reaches NYC

Gudrun Werner is the Cruise Consultant for the immediate future

All these people have been with Regent for some time and are very good at what they do.

Captain Felice Patruno was our Captain for the first couple of days.

Captain Ubaldo Armellino returned in Sitka and will be on for the immediate future.

Ray Solare is the CD (don't know his schedule)

Nicola Richards is the Assistant CD, she leaves shortly

Michael Coghlan is the General Manager until the ship reaches NYC

Gudrun Werner is the Cruise Consultant for the immediate future

All these people have been with Regent for some time and are very good at what they do.

I have followed this thread with so much pleasure. The naturalness of the writing and delight in both Regent and Alaska it contains is infectious. I also love the pictures and enjoy seeing faces of fellow CC peeps (as mimito4 xalls them.)

I have sailed with Ray and Nicola, with whom we have dined and who lives quite close to us in Croyden. They must get bored with peeps asking to be remembered but if you get the chance, I am the doddery old Brit, Tom, pushing his wife, Barbara about in a small wheelchair. Keep the posts flowing.

Sheltieluv, I just 15 minutes ago gave your regards to Alberto as he was serving our breakfast in the room! I squealed with delight when I opened the door and saw it was him. He very much remembers you and sends his warmest regards back to you.

ORpington, I shall remember to tell Ray you said hi. What a delightful CD he is!

We are in Skagway and will soon depart for our excursion. We're doing the scenic train this morning and then in the afternoon, the Tongass Forest hike.

Again, thanks for your many encouraging words and kind compliments. This is truly a magnificent trip, made even more delightful with the sharing.

And since we are in port and I have 3 G, here are a couple of photos from the glacier.

0bc56899.jpg

6ebca8be.jpg

Theresa, I'm just now checking this thread and enjoyed reading all about your travels. We will be on the Navigator cruising from Montreal to FLL with a huge group from the 'other' cruise board in October so leave the ship in good shape for us :D

Love seeing your pictures, we are friends with Peggy and so happy you got to meet her. She truly is a very special person. Love hearing of your staff on board. Ray Solare is amazing, hope you get to see his puppet show, so talented and such a beautiful voice. Good idea to visit Gudrun and book another cruise.

Keep having such a good time, love your attitude and hope someday we'll meet. Happy Anniversary !!

Fabulous thread Teresa. I'm delighted to learn Ray Solaire is your CD. He is the most unique CD in the business. If he does his puppet show one night, DON'T MISS IT. The show isn't for kids (although kids enjoy it too) and it isn't what you would imagine it to be. I can't describe it. Just DON'T MISS IT.

Archived