Cruising Down Turn Of The Economy

Aussie One

We all know the world economy has gone haywire is this efecting cruising ? there seems to be a lot of adverising and so called specials

are the cruise lines hurting we are lucky in Australia so far China and India are propping us up have a g/day Aussie

We all know the world economy has gone haywire is this efecting cruising ? there seems to be a lot of adverising and so called specials

are the cruise lines hurting we are lucky in Australia so far China and India are propping us up have a g/day Aussie

I watching prices on an upcoming Alaskan cruise, and so far the prices have not taken a nose-dive. However, it will be interesting to see if there are more last minute deals for cruises, if the lines are not able to fill their ships.

Certainly the tenuous world economy is hurting the travel business in general. Travel is optional and one of the first things to go. People nervous about their jobs or income may hold off booking. Thus some of the great deals you refer to.

In general, I haven't noticed prices decreasing (until it gets closer to the cruise date and they need the ships filled).

I did notice that the week prior to our cruise (which our cruise was the cheapest date around that time) is now lower than the week we picked.

I also noticed, that for the price we paid for an interior cabin, is now the same price as a picture window outside cabin. So...they must be needing more cruisers for our cruise to drop all the prices. :)

Yes, certainly.

A poor economy will always impact discretionary spending. If people don't have a job, they don't book a cruise. :eek:

.... aside from retired and independently wealthy type folks, of course. :)

All the cruise lines are doing that.

Cruises that are not selling well keep getting price reductions (for new bookings) until they fill the cabins. Almost all the ships are going out full but at what price are they selling some of the cabins?

No head in a bed means they lose money on that cabin.

Cruise lines and cruise agencies always do a lot of advertising of so-called specials. Sometimes they are money savers and sometimes not.

I am not seeing any real price reductions on the travel I want to buy. Not for cruises, airfares (especially air fares!) or hotels.

The only thing causing me to cruise less are the insane airfares. I found we would pay more for the flights than the cruise itself for European cruises. I just can't figure out how large families can afford the airfares nowadays. If airfares were lower, I'd not hesitate to cruise in Europe.

The only thing causing me to cruise less are the insane airfares. I found we would pay more for the flights than the cruise itself for European cruises. I just can't figure out how large families can afford the airfares nowadays. If airfares were lower, I'd not hesitate to cruise in Europe.

This is one of our problems too (and that's living in the US and cruising from a US port!). We paid a lot more for our air fare over the last few years than the actual cruise. We would be better off driving, but I absolutely hate driving long distances knowing that I could make it there in a few hours versus 16 hour long drives or more. :(

It seems to me that cruise prices are up this year, probably due to oil prices. I'm hoping to see some price drops as it gets closer to our preferred cruising months, but so far that's not happening.

I haven't seen any real 'deals' yet except cruises that are at extremely odd times of the year or itineraries that require expensive air fare.

The price of cruising is affected by many things. I'm in Canada - I booked a cruise about 16 months ago. When my TA went to finalize the booking the price had dropped $5000.00. Part of it was a price reduction, but also part was the fact that the Canadian dollar has gained appreciably in value against the US dollar since I booked thus lowering the cost for me.:)

I booked last February after checking a number of agents as to the going rate.

Most of them came up with the same price so I was reasonably satisfied with the deal. Last month when I checked again the same cruise was $3000. cheaper. I cancelled, deposit refunded and booked the same cabin with a new agent.

Right now it is worth checking the prices up until you have to pay the final amount.

I think it depends on the line/ship itinerary and date of travel as far as the cruise itself. Friends of ours booked a cruise for next month (they booked a while ago) They booked an inside cabin. Well.....they now have a balcony cabin for $10 less than what the price originally was for the inside cabin. I think folks might think twice regarding thier onboard discreationary spending and spend less in that area. IE: Spa treatments, surcharge resaurants, ship's sponsored tours, etc.

I think it depends on what you are comparing to see how prices are. The new flashy ships are still commanding top dollar for most sailings. But you look at some of the older ships in a fleet and you can find some deals. The same itinerary this January on Liberty of the Seas that we took last January on Navigator of the Seas is more expensive at this point in time. I've been pricing the Oasis and Allure since they each debuted and haven't seen any price reductions for the times of year we like to go.

I do agree with the point above about airfare though. I was looking at sailing from somewhere we haven't been, and Galveston always come up on that list. I could get the Carnival Magic for about $2100 for the 4 of us, in a oceanview. Airfare to Houston would be about $2500, or about 3 times what we usually can get to Florida for.

I do agree with the point above about airfare though. I was looking at sailing from somewhere we haven't been, and Galveston always come up on that list. I could get the Carnival Magic for about $2100 for the 4 of us, in a oceanview. Airfare to Houston would be about $2500, or about 3 times what we usually can get to Florida for.

For springbreak 2010, it was cheaper for the 3 of us to fly to FLL, rent a car for 2 days, stay in a hotel for 2 days, cruise out of Miami, rent car again for 2 days and 2 more days in a hotel than to drive to Galveston, spend 1 night in a hotel, cruise and drive back. So we did the FL thing. Springbreak 2012, it's less expensive to cruise out of Galveston, and we're hoping for price breaks (but not holding our breath) on the cruise.

Alot of specials I've been watching on Europe, the Med., and Alaska has dropped, but the only issue would be with the airfare which is sky high, and the strikes, and the weather which disrupts flights overseas. Last minute cruises to the Caribbean in the U.S. have dropped also, but not like the ones which require international flights.

Happy Sailing.

Sure a downturn in the economy will impact the demand for cruising. However, we are experiencing a bit of an anomaly right now...a cruise we have booked for the Caribbean more than a year ago as gone up a full 50% since we booked. We also have another cruise booked for 2013 where the fare is staying pretty flat. Selflessly we are hoping that the events of the past few weeks will push those fares down.

Well, cruising may end up modeling the retail environment.

The more affordable cruises out of a home port and the luxury cruises may do well. In the middle price wise may suffer.

I think the lines are trying to hold their pricing but after Christmas they may start having to lower prices.

We cruised Celebrity from Venice Western Med in 2008 there where 98% of Americans and Canadians onboard 2010. Again Celebrity from Southampton England there was only 2% Americans And Canadians going on the posts from this thread its airline cost that have gone through the roof.

living in Australia we have to live with high a/line prices and 20 to 30 hour flights to leave our continent have a G/Day Aussie

Archived