Elite status evening social hour

twonpcb

It may or may not be held in Michael's Club, depending on the number of Elites on board. The hours are from 5-7 p.m. Soft drinks, beer, some mixed drinks, martinis, cosmopolitans, are all served. Usually margaritas and daiquiris and such are not available, but some have been able to order them, so you'll just have to wait and see what the situation is on your cruise. Generally, it will be available every night except for the first night and the night of the Captain's Club event. You will receive complete instructions in your stateroom.

...but don't expect to be able to have a coffee or a coke unless you pay for it. :rolleyes:.

I was unaware of the aforesaid, since I do not consume coffee. I never asked for a rum and coke at the happy hour; hence, I do not know whether it is offered. If it is, I suppose you could order a rum and coke sans rum.

...but don't expect to be able to have a coffee or a coke unless you pay for it. :rolleyes:.

Coffee is available during the mornings Elite breakfast, and it's the good kind too. For the Coke, I thought the same: try ordering a Cuba Libre (Rum & Coke) without the rum? :p

Last year my wife and I where on the Solstice and went to the elite lounge each evening it was offered. Breakfast was in Micheals Club but in the evening it was held in the Sky Lounge. As far as what they offered. I had a little of everything. There was a very nice young lady that worked at the bar there each evening and made whatever drink I ordered. Maybe it was just her, but there seemed to be no restrictions to the drinks.

Not sure where the Welsh Wizards got their information, but at the evening cocktail hour, Coke is included at no charge. Coffee, probably not, to be sure.

On the other hand, perhaps that answer was in relation to the morning Continental breakfast, where Coke is not complimentary, but coffee absolutely is, also cafe latte, cappuccino are complimentary as well.

Please have a look at this thread which has photos of the Elite menus

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1385388

I'm just off the Constellation and it was held in Michaels Club between 5 and 7. I felt most drinks were covered - it certainly included Champagne. Randy and his team were magnificent and ensured everyone always had a drink in front of them. This time there were a large nos of Elite members and the staff were extremely busy.

Another passenger told me that the staff do not get any tips from the drinks at this time due to them being free. Something I hadn't realised but was glad to hear so that we could tip them accordingly at the end of the holiday as they certainly worked very hard to keep us happy.

I always tip as I receive each drink. I believe that this is a simpler and fairer procedure.

I tip $5 each night when we get our first drinks. I find I'm taken care of all evening by that bartender, and even get the courtesy of last call.

They have staff serving drinks as well as a bar area....the servers pretty much stick to the official drinks...wine, martini's and a number of other items. If you go to the bar, they will pretty much make you what you'd like, as long as it's reasonable. I am always able to get a dirty martini instead of a plain martini...I just ask nicely. No, you won't get Stoli Elit vodka instead of the vodkas they are serving...but if your request is reasonable and they have what you want...and you ask nicely (I know that's obvious, but....) you'll probably get it.

Of course it depends on the folks who are working the event. As always, it certainly helps if you give one of the bartenders a few $'s as a tip the first night (after asking if he is a regular at these elite events, of course).

I heard, but not confirmed, that the servers get paid extra salary to work the Elite Lounge in lieu of not getting tips on selling drinks elsewhere. But the figure quoted was something like $5 or $10, not much.

My observation is most people tip the servers either each night or at the end of cruise and that is money in their pocket. I figure $5 won't even buy you a drink at the bars so it is a good deal, in my estimation, to give them $5 an evening and enjoy two or three drinks plus some nice appetizers they pass around along with meeting some mighty fine people!

Tucker in Texas

So my wife and I walk into a bar, and the bartender turns to us and asks, 'what we want?', and I say, 'my wife will have a coke and I'll take a coffee - black, no sugar'....and the bartender says, 'What are you, Welsh??'....hahahaha. I just crack myself up.

Den

So my wife and I walk into a bar, and the bartender turns to us and asks, 'what we want?', and I say, 'my wife will have a coke and I'll take a coffee - black, no sugar'....and the bartender says, 'What are you, Welsh??'....hahahaha. I just crack myself up.Den

Strangely, I do not find your remark to be in the least bit amusing. :rolleyes:

Hi Jennifer,:) you can get coke at the afternoon event without having

to pay for it. I have ordered a ginger ale before and have never been

charged. I would think coke is in the same category. Unless they

do it differently on European sailings?

See you in November:)

Hi Jennifer,:) you can get coke at the afternoon event without having

to pay for it. I have ordered a ginger ale before and have never been

charged. I would think coke is in the same category. Unless they

do it differently on European sailings?

See you in November:)

Thanks for the info Lois. I am looking forward to meeting you.

My only experience of going to Michael's Club for the elite hours was when we sailed on the actual Inaugural of the Equinox to the Fjords [ the one prior to the Official Inaugural :rolleyes::) ] and to be fair staff were trying to stick to the newly laid down procedures, rules , etc. so they were adamant back then that I had to pay for my cokes and my coffees. This may have changed since then , and be more flexible .... I don't really know because we have not been back.

I started a thread about it ages ago, and people were posting about having different rules applied on different ships, sailings and times.

About a year ago I was diagnosed as being borderline diabetic. I am , as of now, outside the danger zone, where I am determined to stay, so I always have the soda card for diet cokes now. As I do not have to pay at point of asking , I don't know when they are "free " or not . ;)

I am very happy to read the policy has been amended and non alcoholic drinkers can have a free coke...lets hope they do this for the afternoon coffee or tea drinkers also.:D

As the afternoon event is a cocktail time, from 5-7 p.m. I would doubt that coffee and tea will ever be added to the offerings. However, juice and soft drinks are listed on the menu and should not incur any charge at the Elite event.

See the menus here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1385388

Thanks for the info Lois. I am looking forward to meeting you.

My only experience of going to Michael's Club for the elite hours was when we sailed on the actual Inaugural of the Equinox to the Fjords [ the one prior to the Official Inaugural :rolleyes::) ] and to be fair staff were trying to stick to the newly laid down procedures, rules , etc. so they were adamant back then that I had to pay for my cokes and my coffees. This may have changed since then , and be more flexible .... I don't really know because we have not been back.

I started a thread about it ages ago, and people were posting about having different rules applied on different ships, sailings and times.

About a year ago I was diagnosed as being borderline diabetic. I am , as of now, outside the danger zone, where I am determined to stay, so I always have the soda card for diet cokes now. As I do not have to pay at point of asking , I don't know when they are "free " or not . ;)

I am very happy to read the policy has been amended and non alcoholic drinkers can have a free coke...lets hope they do this for the afternoon coffee or tea drinkers also.:D

I believe X has seen the value in making it's elite passengers happy. I have found the service exceptional at the happy hour, and have had an opportunity to meet many nice folks who either work on the ship or are sailing. I look forward to sailing on the Eclipse next July, and enjoying the Elite Happy Hour in the evening.:)

I need a glass of wine!:D

Originally Posted by WELSH WIZARDS

Strangely, I do not find your remark to be in the least bit amusing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

jagoffee.....

Not even a little especially since you just incorrectly told everyone that they could not get a coke[ Quote Jjagoffee ].

======================================================

Why would these personal and racist remark amuse me. ?

Why would my making an error and incorrectly telling everyone they could not get a coke amuse me. ?

I am very sorry that I inadvertently posted misinformation, and others have kindly and politely corrected my mistake , for which I thank them.

This is what CC members do.

Archived