Appropriate clothing for the Vatican

RobynFL

I will be traveling with three teenage girls during the summer on a cruise and need help with how they need to be dressed. With it being so hot and out touring all day, I am sure they want to wear short shorts and tanks tops. Is it that strict of a dress code (no bare knees or shoulders)?

AGREE! Lots of girls are wearing longer skirts/summer dresses. They are cool and comfy in hot weather and very appropriate for touring churches. They can throw a scarf,shawl, or light cotton sweater over their shoulders.

Men need knees covered too.

I'm sorry, perhaps I am old school.......but short shorts and tank tops are not appropriate for Rome at all...... IMO.

For sightseeing outside of the big cities, yes. But in the larger cities (Rome, Florence, Istanbul, Athens etc) it just doesn't seem to fit. Cute capris and a top or a flirty skirt with a tee is just much more appropriate. Any church, monastery or mosque in Europe will not permit entrance unless dressed appropriately. It is their place of worship.....not just a place to sightsee.

My niece insists on wearing short shorts and tank tops that show pretty much wagging too much. She was turned away at most churches etc in Europe - she is older so she waited outside....... And it didn't seem to bother her. But why go all that way to see stuff and then sit outside ?

My family took a cruise last summer that included a four-day stay in Rome pre-cruise. When we went to the Vatican or other churches in Rome, Venice or Istanbul, my daughters wore long skirts or capris. The Vatican and Blue Mosque were especially diligent in assuring everyone was dressed appropriately. On the other days, when we toured the Colosseum or Acropolis, for example, they wore shorts. They were always dressed appropriately for the activity.

I will be traveling with three teenage girls during the summer on a cruise and need help with how they need to be dressed. With it being so hot and out touring all day, I am sure they want to wear short shorts and tanks tops. Is it that strict of a dress code (no bare knees or shoulders)?

No, shorts and no short tops.

Women should wear a skirt or capris are fine and they should not bare their shoulders. Men should wear long pants.

The dress code is enforced but most importantly it should be followed out of respect. This is a holy place.

Keith

While no one mentioned this, I assume this also means boys must wear long pants too? My son wears shorts year round (and we live in New England) because he says pants are too hot. I can't wait to tell him he will have to wear pants in July in Europe.

Yes, boys too. But alot of the sport shops like REI and Dick's carry the hiking type pants that zip off into shorts. They are very lightweight and breathable. I got my husband a pair before the trip for the Vatican, but he ended up wearing kaiki's instead.

My daughter's and I were very cool with lightweight cotton skirts below the knees and peasant type tops, and we were there the last day of June. The cotton was very breathable.

And don't forget the comfortable shoes. Although not mandatory, they certainly make sense.

Yes, boys too. But alot of the sport shops like REI and Dick's carry the hiking type pants that zip off into shorts. They are very lightweight and breathable. I got my husband a pair before the trip for the Vatican, but he ended up wearing kaiki's instead.

My daughter's and I were very cool with lightweight cotton skirts below the knees and peasant type tops, and we were there the last day of June. The cotton was very breathable.

And don't forget the comfortable shoes. Although not mandatory, they certainly make sense.

All good recommendations.

Keith

Thank you for all the suggestions. Definitely never thought about a scarf. Great idea. Also, the maxi dresses are also very stylish and comfortable. Our two boys wear shorts but they are already below the knees. Thanks again.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Definitely never thought about a scarf. Great idea. Also, the maxi dresses are also very stylish and comfortable. Our two boys wear shorts but they are already below the knees. Thanks again.

Just be aware that at St. Peter's Basilica they can be somewhat "iffy" about men/boys in shorts, even if they cover the knee. Here's a photo of the board showing the dress code. As you'll notice, there is no option for shorts shown on the men's side:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OHdzk3JlsgY/TFSYDS_vfMI/AAAAAAAAGb4/gSxPUHLNveQ/s1600/Vatican+Dress+Code.jpg

Now, If they're wearing manpris, probably all will be fine....!

You didn't ask but thought I would mention that sandles (thongs) are fine, our private tour guide had them on..so no problem with shoes..She also had on capris and a sleeveless top but just pulled a scarf (shawl) out of her bag and off we went...

We just returned from a tour of the Vatican (read my review on the Vatican Experience discussion) and there were people with all kinds of dress allowed in. I saw one woman with a strapless top, many sleeveless tops and one man with a tank top with the hairiest body I have ever seen. There were no restrictions on dress the day we toured!

B. Cole

We just returned from a tour of the Vatican (read my review on the Vatican Experience discussion) and there were people with all kinds of dress allowed in. I saw one woman with a strapless top, many sleeveless tops and one man with a tank top with the hairiest body I have ever seen. There were no restrictions on dress the day we toured!

B. Cole

Are you talking about the museum or the Basilica?

Code was strict the year we went, personally saw people infront of us denied/rejected!

Yes its hot, but there are reasonably workarounds.

Based on B. Cole's other post, he/she is referring to the museums, not the Basilica.

Correct.

B. Cole

That explains it. I've never noticed them being particularly strict about the Museum. It's the Basilica where the dress code is generally enforced.

I've seen them enforce the dress code at both the Vatcan museums and the Basilica. I believe it's because of the Sistine Chapel and because you can exit the museums via the Sistine Chapel and enter the Basilica.

I don't know why anyone planning to go to either of them would risk it by not conforming to the dress code.

Just another note in case anyone does the Scavi tour. For this particular one capris are not allowed. Women can wear skirts/dresses below the knee, but all males must be in trousers. We had 2 people on our tour (out of 12) denied entrance. Their companions left with them so we only had 7! Considering you must pay ahead for this tour, not something I would take the chance on.

and yes, we saw many young girls in tank tops/short at the museum, but none in the basilica.

• 1 year later...

If the girls absolutely want to wear shorts because the weather is hot, one trick is to have in your day bag a pareo. You can wrap it around your waist and most are long enough to cover the knees.

The big plus is that it is lightweight and it can also be used to cover your shoulders. So don't use it just for the beach or around the pool, bring it with you on shore excursions just in case.

Either your teen girls will have to wear a thin long skirt and short sleeved t-shirt or wear a wrap over their bare shoulders, they will be turned away. We saw people turne away. The dress code is not optional...they aren't playing around with it! We were there in June, on a very hot day. My 18 year old Grandson played it safe and wore a pair of khaki pants instead of taking a chance with his below the knee cargo shorts. If they really want to see this, they will have to dress appropriately and change afterwards.

B. Cole

We saw them turned away, and one of those turned away had the shoe-string straps on her top. Also, we went to the church with the mouth of truth. They were actually standing with a basket of these semi-disposable "garments" to put on over their clothing...even more strict than the Vatican. My oldest daughter had a tank top on and she had to use these icky disposable things to get in. By the way...VERY interesting church to visit.

Archived