Shops onboard are boring.....

wizard-of-roz

I am not what I'd call a big shopper, but on Princess I've found really good deals on my perfume from Chanel, cheaper and NO TAX!! And on the last cruise I was pleased that Princess had started carrying Smashbox cosmetics. Instead of paying $42 for my usual foundation I got it for $28 AND no tax!! I love the Italian

Venetian beaded jewelry and don't find it to be anymore costly than in Vegas. I'm not a Swarovski glass animal collector, although I do realize they are a bit pricey. I still have a wonderful T-shirt from an Alaskan Princess cruise from 1992. It's magenta colored tye-died with a totem pole emblazoned on it, and it is indestrucible.

The only things I could do without is that Bijoux Ternier junk that is hit and miss -- makes good trinkets but I've bought so much of that jewelry and it all has broken, sorry to say.

In my case, cruising several times a year, I find that I have seen everything in the shops before, no matter what cruise line, and don't need or want any of it. On the California Coastal last week, Princess was pushing left over Alaska stuff as well as Mexico (I guess because they are not cruising there so much and overbought). I would like to see some locally ( to the ports visited) made items (not in China). Becoming jaded in the shopping realm I guess.

In my case, cruising several times a year, I find that I have seen everything in the shops before, no matter what cruise line, and don't need or want any of it. On the California Coastal last week, Princess was pushing left over Alaska stuff as well as Mexico (I guess because they are not cruising there so much and overbought). I would like to see some locally ( to the ports visited) made items (not in China). Becoming jaded in the shopping realm I guess.

That's the point. And, of course, there should always be a small corner of key chains, mugs and baseball caps for those who can't resist them but, bringing in some enticing items of the area the ship is visiting would be nice.

I use a small shoulder bag, with a Princess logo on it, to hold my Passport and other important papers. I bought this bag onboard the Diamond in 2005. It's made so well and I've never seen another one like it onboard any other Princess ship.

From our report on a b2b this past May on the Star:

The port tees sold in the shops and around the atrium had no direct relation to the actual ports on either segment. There was no tee showing the map of either voyage. There were tees with ports not visited on either segment. There were no tees for many of the ports that were visited. By some coincidence, there were tees for some of the ports visited.

Having seen the layout of the new vessel aka the “Displacement Of The Seas” with it’s Avenue des Champ de Sleezé, shoppers will have a field day with bountiful boutiques galore as they stroll down the main drag beneath the inner balconies of this floating high-rise subdivision.

We on the other hand will be found on one of the ships whose purpose is to sail to and see the world.

As a collector of Christmas ornaments, how about a selection of interesting ship-themed ornaments? Just got off Star and they had one (ugly) ornament to 'choose' from. First cruise that I didn't purchase an ornament from the ship....

And I, too, was looking to spend some money in the shops. Alas, I spent it inport as there was nothing to tempt me onboard.

Wizard of Roz----Sorry to read your shopping experiences do not meet your expectations. I do not share your assessment of the clerks. Over the past 15 years I do not recall anything less than interest and good service from clerks when I was shopping seriously or just lookie-looing. The people in Facets and Essence have been particularly helpful and even entertaining. They match colors of jewelry we already have with what they are offering and the pair-ups have been quite good. Concur with the selection in the clothing shop regarding expense and variety. Just got off Caribbean Princess and saw cashmere sweaters for $390, felt like I was on Rodeo Drive. Their other stuff was somewhat garish and not appealing. I don't care for the tables with watches, tee-shirts, rings, and $1 a foot chain displays but they certainly appeal to others. I steer clear of the special sales in the lower dining room because it's a stampede and the flea market/garage sale mentality is a huge turn-off. I try to find trinkets in port where I know my $$$ is helping the locals. A few years ago on HAL's Amsterdam I found, quite by accident, a beaded black cocktail dress for my wife (which she shared with our daughter on a later cruise!) with an original price tag of over $170 on sale for less than $20---incredible luck and it sure looks great on both of them! Earned many points on that purchase!

On our Princess cruise to Alaska onboard the Diamond, they had a "Yard Sale" in one of the dinning rooms on a at sea day. All the tee shirts, formal wear, trinkets, and other junk, etc. that you could ever want at rock bottom prices. I went, and bought nothing.

On our Princess cruise to Alaska onboard the Diamond, they had a "Yard Sale" in one of the dinning rooms on a at sea day. All the tee shirts, formal wear, trinkets, and other junk, etc. that you could ever want at rock bottom prices. I went, and bought nothing.

They must do that every cruise. I got some wonderful martini glasses once, real cheap. My next cruise there was nothing.

I have no problem with the variety and offerings in the on board stores

It certainly cuts down on our bill at the end of the cruise and on what we have to lug back to the ranch once vacation time is over.

Surely there is enough variety in the' inches of gold' offerings to please even the most discerning cruiser. And it has a wonderful guarantee.

My thoughts exactly Toto 2 Kansas! Even if I wanted to buy a certain thing on one cruise, I am NOT going to buy the same thing next time. I keep looking, but nowadays the only shopping I do is when they do those big table sales in the restaurants and those are more like big garage sales!

Surely there is enough variety in the' inches of gold' offerings to please even the most discerning cruiser. And it has a wonderful guarantee.

ROTFLOL!

DW and I were much, much younger and on another cruise line. DW went nuts buying "Inches of Gold" for Christmas gifts. Last cruise as we were passing by the display I heard her mutter "Never again!"

Reading about the shops on Princess cruises brought back a very happy memory for me. Many years ago my husband and I were on a Princess cruise (I don't remember which ship or where we sailed to) and every night on our way to the MDR for dinner we passed the ship's jewelry shop. Every night I stopped for a second or two to look at a beautiful Micky Moto pearl bracelet in the window. It was not something we could really afford at the time so I was just looking and dreaming. Then on the last night of the cruise, we passed the jewelry shop window and the bracelet was gone! That's when my husband presented me with a lovely little box containing that bracelet. I was so surprised and happy. A few years later, my husband passed away - but I will always have that bracelet and the happy memories it holds for me. Now I have many pieces of jewelry much finer but none has more meaning than that bracelet.

My thoughts exactly Toto 2 Kansas! Even if I wanted to buy a certain thing on one cruise, I am NOT going to buy the same thing next time. I keep looking, but nowadays the only shopping I do is when they do those big table sales in the restaurants and those are more like big garage sales!

I always pop my head in to see what is being offerred, and lately well at least the last five cruises I have given up... two times I had a bunch of items picked out but the lines for the cash are just too long that I gave up.

On the Golden in September walked in, saw the line was 20 people deep to pay I thought nope, don't need anything.

But it looks like a lot of people are buying stuff

Wife and I had similar discussion following the Sept California coastal. Same stuff every cruise, every year. DW has a tradition of buying a swarovski crystal each cruise. She had a good time shopping for new pieces. Best deal for me was a $5 T shirt clearance sale on RC 3 years ago. I bought 7 because that is all they had in my size. Still wearing them today -- and they are just about broken in!

Overall, I think we would likely spend alot more in the on board shops if the selection were refreshed. I also agree with the previous poster about having more electronics. Not so much interested in souvenir type stuff.

One more thing. Me and alot of my fellow passengers are like -- um how do I say this -- maybe like "first round draft choices". I'm 6'-4" and 250. Ain't interested in anything less than 3X or 2XT, but forget about ever seeing tall sizes.

Reading about the shops on Princess cruises brought back a very happy memory for me. Many years ago my husband and I were on a Princess cruise (I don't remember which ship or where we sailed to) and every night on our way to the MDR for dinner we passed the ship's jewelry shop. Every night I stopped for a second or two to look at a beautiful Micky Moto pearl bracelet in the window. It was not something we could really afford at the time so I was just looking and dreaming. Then on the last night of the cruise, we passed the jewelry shop window and the bracelet was gone! That's when my husband presented me with a lovely little box containing that bracelet. I was so surprised and happy. A few years later, my husband passed away - but I will always have that bracelet and the happy memories it holds for me. Now I have many pieces of jewelry much finer but none has more meaning than that bracelet.

that is beautiful and that is a great reason to be married to the right person.

Vickie

I read through this thread as a Marketing major - thinking of how the shops could be better. I think the shops are run from the UK and licensed by Princess. They simply need some creative retail folks to come in and make some magic.

Then I came across your post. After wiping the tears away, I thought...well, you can't make much more magic than that! May you have much happiness in your future!

Just off the Island Canal transit, the first sailing following the Alaska season ... went to the yard sale/flea market and scored a great find. There was a mountain of Polartec-type zipfront tops with zip off sleeves for $20 (reduced from $88). Ultra heavyweight ... lucky we had extra space and weight capacity in our luggage. Everyone else seemed to be circling the tables of useless crap or reduced summerwear, but living in a snow zone made these a great buy for us.

While most everyone here thinks the Princess shops boring, they are far better than those on Holland America. And the shop people on Princess seemed more helpful and welcoming than on HAL.

Archived