Spinner Suitcases?

Fighterone

When we used to have a samsonite outlet store, they said they were the ones in most often for repair. However, I own two, and the large one has been on six or seven cruises, including flights for some, and survived without a problem. They are not very good on carpet, but are great rolling through airports. EM

...on our last cruise we bought one to carry extra stuff we acquired along the way. It turned out to be one of the most awkward pieces of luggage we'd ever encountered. Spinner is the best name for them because that is exactly what they do all the time you're trying to move with them, they will not move forward with you but instead spin around in circles, bumping into everything along the way...

...if you want wheels, buy one of the two wheeled roll-aboards, every luggage maker carries a variety of these in different sizes...

cheers,

the Imagineer

I a am sorry to disagree with the Imagineer, but for my wife and myself the spinner suitcases are a lifesaver. When she is being pushed in a wheelchair, the small suitcase can roll sideways. Also moving the big ones sideways helps many times.

We have not had much of a problem with them spinning.

I have a samsonite and love it. DH never uses all 4 wheels, he just treats it like a two wheeled. If you need to move more than two pieces, like when you now who is at the rental counter and I need to move for some reason or other, it is great to just be able to push one along in front.

They are AWESOME!!! We love them to death and have had them since they first came out... they are finally showing some wear, but I think they will still last a couple more years. If you have the smaller one to take on the plan you can rotate it sideways and push it in front of you and not piss everyone off as you roll down the aisle with your other roller behind you and hit every chair like the traditional rollers. :o

All of our luggage is like this. We never have to pay a porter for help. Between the two of us we can easily navigate all of our luggage (even during our wedding cruise!).

It depends on the quality of the case, there are poorly made cases and there are high quality cases.

Rimowa is top quality, Tumi a line called Vapor that I like as well. I sell luggage part time and we carry the better quality so I know those best. Samsonite has a well known brand name, but personally I don't think they have good quality pieces, sorry.

What I suggest is to see/feel the piece in person and don't be shy about handling it. I encourage people to walk/run in the store with luggage, put some weight in it to get a better feel for how it will handle in the real world.

My sister bought a set of Rimowa from me and another friend as well. We were all on a cruise together this year and was I ever jealous of their luggage! I would not hesitate to purchase the Tumi line, either.

Probably the biggest difference with Rimowa over other brands are their wheels, they are larger and in a better casing than most, they protect themselves from damage. They also roll a whole lot easier. Less expensive brands have small wheels that protrude. Rimowa wheels are easily replaceable with a special screwdriver. We have extra wheels in the store and it takes only a minute to replace.

I just got done using our new spinner suitcases (cheapies) from revo and I don't see me going back to a regular inline wheel set up. I was worried that they wouldn't roll well on most terrain especially since I did not go with a well known luggage brand with a great reputation.

Those wheels went over high lipped entrances, brick walkways, broken cement/black top, and low carpet without pausing a beat. Our suitcase was pretty heavy (just under 60 lbs) and the only time I had any issues rolling it was on the thick carpet at home. I loved being able to roll it sideways next to me and roll it about as needed without having a lot of the logistic issues some of the people with traditional in line wheels were having around me.

I think the wheels breaking is a definete possiblity since by design they stick out from the bag - but from a personal standpoint I think this risk is well worth the added ease of use.

Suitcases get banged up- alot when traveling. So I see no need to spend a fortune on it. We bought a set of 6 of Samonite spinner cases about 5 years ago. We fly 5-6 times per year and they still look great. We paid a fraction of what the high end pieces cost and even if we have to replace a piece or 2 we will still come out ahead.

Love, love, love my spinners. I usually push mine in front of me while my husband pulls his. It is so easy to manuever especially when you have lots of pieces. I will spend top dollar on shoes and handbags but not on luggage that will get tossed around no matter how expensive it is.

We love the spinner-type wheels since it makes it so much easier to maneuver the luggage. As to longevity, we always try to buy luggage at a steep discount and do not believe in expensive luggage since our experience is that all luggage will eventually break due to mis-handling. In fact, our longest lasting luggage is usally the cheapest :)

Hank

...on our last cruise we bought one to carry extra stuff we acquired along the way. It turned out to be one of the most awkward pieces of luggage we'd ever encountered. Spinner is the best name for them because that is exactly what they do all the time you're trying to move with them, they will not move forward with you but instead spin around in circles, bumping into everything along the way...

...if you want wheels, buy one of the two wheeled roll-aboards, every luggage maker carries a variety of these in different sizes...

cheers,

the Imagineer

Perhaps your bag needs the services of an exorcist to expel the demons. :D

Seriously, I have a complete set of spinner luggage and we have encountered no problems. If you are standing in a check-in line at the airport, for example, the four wheels make them much easier to move than the two-wheeled models, especially if you are handling multiple bags.

We have two large spinners , and love them , it makes it so much easier in airports and on cruises for us. So far a couple cruises and have had no problems with the wheels coming off . We did check them carefully before we purchased to see how strong the wheels seem to be. Just that as we are getting Older (yes I said it) it was getting more difficult to manage the large checked luggage and the small carry on for us, so we got the large one to be spinners and it helps. The small cases are still the two wheel pullers and they work fine for what we need.

Cori

I was talking to the manager of a luggage store who said that they are selling a lot of suitcases with the spinner wheels despite the fact that they have a much higher rate of breaking than standard wheels.

To close the sale, all they need to do is tell the customer to bring the suitcase back and they will repair or replace the wheels free of charge when they break. Sounds good.

But what they don't tell the customer is that the wheels are most likely to break when you are far away from home, so you could end up needing to bring the broken suitcase back half-way around the world to get it repaired.

When traveling with an old or cheap suitcase that breaks, most people will just buy another suitcase and leave the broken one behind.

But when traveling with an expensive suitcase, then even after buying another one most people still try to bring the broken one back too, so they end up needing to travel back with an extra, useless piece of luggage.

The manager also said that companies are in process of working on totally redesigning the spinner wheels and they believe that in another year or so they will have new suitcases with much sturdier and better wheels than anything on the market today.

I love spinner suitcases, my husband doesn't.

I have a spinner that has had no problems with its wheels, but it is on/or slightly over the size limit for one of the airlines we fly, so we've grounded that case to land trips only. I've used one of hubby's non-spinners on the last couple of trips and couldn't stand it so went and purchased a couple new spinners.

Hubby can drag his and catch them as they tip over, while I twirl mine with my little pinkie :p:D!

I was talking to the manager of a luggage store who said that they are selling a lot of suitcases with the spinner wheels despite the fact that they have a much higher rate of breaking than standard wheels.

The manager also said that companies are in process of working on totally redesigning the spinner wheels and they believe that in another year or so they will have new suitcases with much sturdier and better wheels than anything on the market today.

I will have to look into this since we don't plan on traveling for a while. I might just wait to purchase a set. Thanks Fleckle!

I have rheumatoid arthritis (an autoimmune disease that attacks joints) and I love my Rimowas. I have a carry on, and 2 larger for checking. I can handle this luggage by myself if someone helps me get if off the luggage carosel. It is also light luggage which helps to keep within the weight requirements. The only con is the price.

I have rheumatoid arthritis (an autoimmune disease that attacks joints) and I love my Rimowas. I have a carry on, and 2 larger for checking. I can handle this luggage by myself if someone helps me get if off the luggage carosel. It is also light luggage which helps to keep within the weight requirements. The only con is the price.

You're not kidding! Are they really worth the price?

2Q==

Rimowa Salsa Air 29" Multiwheel Spinner - Aqua Marine

$550

9k=

Rimowa Topas Titanium Iata 2-Wheel Cabin Trolley ...

$1,260

Z

Rimowa Salsa Deluxe 29" Multiwheel Spinner - Black

$695

Z

Rimowa Salsa Air 29" Multiwheel Spinner - Navy

$550

2Q==

Rimowa Topas 26" Multiwheel Aluminum Spinner - Silver

$1,020

Archived