Close-Toed Shoes?

It seems like every cruise I bring my sneakers and socks and never wear them. I am trying to pack lightly this trip (4 day Monarch), and I was thinking of leaving them home. We will not be getting off the ship in Nassau (been there, done that), and we may parasail at CocoCay. Otherwise we'll just be hanging out on the ship.

Can anyone think of a reason I would need closed toed shoes on this trip?

I cant imagine what you would be doing in the gym, that you would not wear some form of sneaker.

Unless you mean to just walk thru then its fine.

Not sure about the poster of this question but I sometimes lift weights (machines) while wearing flip flops instead of shoes. Not sure if anything was posted onboard about shoes being required in the gym but no one said anything about lifting in flip flops.

I bring them because I wear them on the plane. I just don't feel comfortable wearing flip flops when flying. I basically wear them while we're shopping or exploring a port. Other than those though, I'm wearing flip flops.

I bring them because I wear them on the plane. I just don't feel comfortable wearing flip flops when flying.

You're smart. The travel and security experts point out that, in case of an on-board emergency that requires evacuating the airplane, sneakers or low-heeled shoes with good traction are going to be more useful than sandals, high heels or dress shoes with slippery soles. Imagine evacuating a plane in an emergency with flip flops on (or having to walk through security barefoot).

I always bring them on every cruise also, because I think I am going to exercise!! Those, and my workout clothes too, which I have yet to actually ever use!

Haha! Same here! They're going to stay in my closet for our next cruise. Even on island tours, a pair of good walking sandals works fine.

Given that we always seem to have the "shoe" discussion when packing (as in "why are you brining an entire suitcase full of shoes???"), perhaps I could convince you to have a chat with my DW? Sometimes it feels as if we need to book another cabin, just for the shoes! :D

Somehow I manage to get by with three pairs of shoes - flipflops (pool), running/walking shoes (gym & shore excursion), and loafers (dinners in the MDR or specialty restaurants). That's it...three pairs, and since I wear one of the three when we embark, that's only two in the suitcase.

You're smart. The travel and security experts point out that, in case of an on-board emergency that requires evacuating the airplane, sneakers or low-heeled shoes with good traction are going to be more useful than sandals, high heels or dress shoes with slippery soles. Imagine evacuating a plane in an emergency with flip flops on (or having to walk through security barefoot).

In case anybody has to travel through Newark Airport: if you're wearing sandals or any kind of shoe without some sort of socks, you still have to take your shoes off and walk barefoot on a cold floor without carpeting that looks like it hasn't been washed in several years! Yuck! I head straight to the ladies room and literally wash my feet after going through security there.

I've found that water shoes work just as well as sneakers for some things you can't wear flip-flops for (like the zip-line at Labadee). Some of the beaches (like Labadee) are rocky enough to need them too.

I use my water shoes in the gym if I don't have a reason to take my short hikers or my sneakers.

I've seen people working out in flip flops several times so I don't think closed toed shoes are required in the workout room. I wouldn't want to use the treadmill at 4mph in flip flops, but there are several workouts that would be ok.

Given that we always seem to have the "shoe" discussion when packing (as in "why are you brining an entire suitcase full of shoes???"), perhaps I could convince you to have a chat with my DW? Sometimes it feels as if we need to book another cabin, just for the shoes! :D

Somehow I manage to get by with three pairs of shoes - flipflops (pool), running/walking shoes (gym & shore excursion), and loafers (dinners in the MDR or specialty restaurants). That's it...three pairs, and since I wear one of the three when we embark, that's only two in the suitcase.

I don't think we need a guys opinion on this:D.

I use my water shoes in the gym if I don't have a reason to take my short hikers or my sneakers.

I've seen people working out in flip flops several times so I don't think closed toed shoes are required in the workout room. I wouldn't want to use the treadmill at 4mph in flip flops, but there are several workouts that would be ok.

I went to the gym in sport sandals once (on Serenade, I think). I didn't bring sneakers that time. I was told by the gym staff that I needed closed toe shoes to use the facilities. Now, I fly with my gym shoes on since they are the heaviest shoes that I bring.

... in case of an on-board emergency that requires evacuating the airplane, sneakers or low-heeled shoes with good traction are going to be more useful than sandals, high heels or dress shoes with slippery soles. Imagine evacuating a plane in an emergency with flip flops on (or having to walk through security barefoot).

Not to be picky, but if you're going to be sliding down one of those evacuation chutes, you're not allowed to wear shoes anyway. But your point is taken. :D

going down an airplane emergency slide, but you shouldn't wear pointy heels because they could punch a hole. Your butt is going to get hot hot hot slidin' down, but if you make it that far alive then who cares-hopefully travel insurance will cover the pointy heeled shoes you left behind.

Archived