Zuiderdam Canaletto Restaurant

Tender Lee

After trying this one night, I personally found it "underwhelming". The views were nice but I can get the view for lunch and breakfast. THe food was just okay. We wished we had gone to the MDR instead. Just our opinion but I wouldn't bother unless you prefer to eat dinner in a less casual spot.

... but I wouldn't bother unless you prefer to eat dinner in a less casual spot.
I think you mean a more casual spot {than the MDR}. I think the Canaletto is a nice change-of-pace about once a cruise ... especially on Master Chef Dinner night!!

As soon as we get on a ship -- we check to see which night is going to be the Master Chef dinner -- it can vary on longer, port intensive cruises.

Then we decide where we will eat that night.

On our last cruise -- Amsterdam -- we chose to go to the Canaletto the evening of the MCD -- and we loved it.

After trying this one night, I personally found it "underwhelming". The views were nice but I can get the view for lunch and breakfast. THe food was just okay. We wished we had gone to the MDR instead. Just our opinion but I wouldn't bother unless you prefer to eat dinner in a less casual spot.

I wonder if you hit an "off" night-we ate there several times and had excellent dinners. Loved the antipasta they serve you at the beginning and all 5 of us had wonderful meals there. We didn't go there for the views-just the food and weren't disappointed. Hope you get to try it another time just to see if this time you had an off night.

They do say to make reservations, but i never found it hard to get into at the last moment. Walking by it, I have never seen it full. I don't think you need to book from home.

Ate there twice and I thought it was really good, and a good change from the MDR.

We enjoyed it on RYndam back in April enough to go back for a second time (3 week crossing transatlantic)..happened to be an anniversary and, without our mentioning it, the waiters brought a cake to the table and sang. The cake said happy birthday but we appreciated the gesture.

We had a chuckle that the waiters had name tags like Mario, Guiseppe, Giovanni instead of their actual names. It was a fun experience.

They do say to make reservations, but i never found it hard to get into at the last moment. Walking by it, I have never seen it full.
It depends on the night. It's highly unlikely you could do a walk-in on MCD night! You may have walked by and seen empty tables that were reserved for slightly later.

I don't think you need to book from home.

You can't.

Plus the general theme in the specialty resturants is not to book every seat, every minute they are open. This lends atmosphere, particularly European atmosphere, where in better resturants you are considered to "own" the table for the night, and allows a little more attention from the servers as they aren't overloaded. We have seen this in Pinnacle and Canalleto, and others have mentioned this as well.

Can reservations be made for the Canaletto Restaurant on the Zuiderdam. If so, can it only be reserved once on board?

Excuse our ignorance, but Canaletto restaurant? I can't seem to find it on the deck plans for Zuiderdam. Do they hide it away? I gather it's an Italian theme though :confused:

Canaletto is separate area of the Lido. I ate there once while on Zuiderdam and personally was disappointed. Service and food were both only okay. The one really good thing in Canaletto was the garlic bread - hot & tasty! I asked for extra. The bread in the MDR was always cold and boring so the garlic bread was a nice change of pace. Desserts were also really good in Canaletto.

Excuse our ignorance, but Canaletto restaurant? I can't seem to find it on the deck plans for Zuiderdam. Do they hide it away? I gather it's an Italian theme though :confused:

It is located on Deck 9 - Lido Deck. It is part of the Lido Restaurant (starboard side). It is only used in the evenings as the Italian Restaurant---Canaletto. During the day (breakfast, lunch, etc.) it is used as part of the Lido Buffet restaurant.

Exactly our response to dinner on the Rotterdam

Marilyn

We ate there on the Westerdam and it was very good. We tried to eat there on the Zuidy but always forgot to make reservations and everytime we tried we could not get in. Is the food a good as a fine italian resturant, no, but it is tasty and would not hesitate to eat there again.

With the so so reviews of Canaletto and the ability to get great Italian food at home I think we will pass on it on the NA as the 5 star food and service in the MDR, Tamarind or PG are more why we cruise with HAL.:D

Archived