Those Pesky Packing Wrinkles

xnavydoc2

Hello to All,

My Lovely Wife Opal and I are getting ready for our 6th cruise, and still havent figured out a good way to get rid of those "Pesky Packing Wrinkles" in our clothes. I know that irons arent aloud in your cabin, and some have laundry rooms with irons available, but that's pretty much a busy thing. Any suggestions?

This has been asked many times, and if you do a search you can pull up very long threads on the subject. But, some things that work are packing your clothes in dry cleaner bags, using Downy Wrinkle Release spray, hanging them up in a steamy bathroom, or my personal favorite, sending them out to be ironed. Small cost, and saves lots of time and energy.

There are many things you can try.

For my dressier clothes I leave them in their dry cleaner bags and that seems to reduce the wrinkling. I've used Downy Wrinkle Release for light weight clothing and have had good results. Also, hanging items on the curtain rod after a steamy shower can work well. If all else fails to get the desired results I send them out to be pressed. I wouldn't go that route for my causal clothes but I would for anything I was going to wear for dinner.

This has been asked many times, and if you do a search you can pull up very long threads on the subject. But, some things that work are packing your clothes in dry cleaner bags, using Downy Wrinkle Release spray, hanging them up in a steamy bathroom, or my personal favorite, sending them out to be ironed. Small cost, and saves lots of time and energy.

Great minds .......

My favorite way to avoid worries about wrinkles is to pack only clothes that resist or don't show wrinkles. Women's blouses in sheer gauzy fabrics worn over a camisole are popular now, and wrinkles just shake right out. I have blouses made of crinkle fabrics -- my favorite because they're supposed to be wrinkled. I have several skirts and dressy pants made of flowy, polyester fabrics. I specifically consider these things when shopping for clothes for a trip and now have a variety of outfits for travelling.

Not sure these techniques will work for a man -- unless you want to go retro and bring back the polyester suit :p -- but it will work for your wife. You could consider this at least for your casual shirts. My husband has several nice-looking polo shirts in wrinkle resistant fabrics that look fine straight out of the dryer (or suitcase) with no ironing.

Becky

1-Dressy clothes are packed in a garment bag covered individually in cleaners bags. You will virtually eliminate wrinkles this way.

2-Roll the rest of your clothes to pack. This will minimize wrinkles & maximize space.

3-Hang clothes in bathroom & turn shower on as hot as it will get to steam the wrinkles out

4-Bring Downy Wrinkle release in a small spray bottle. I find that combining the spray w/ a hot shower is very effective.

5-Yes, and avoid taking any clothing that easily wrinkles.

Excellent suggestions from everyone. In addition to those mentioned and as someone who hasn't owned an ironing board in over thirty years, I've had great success with stubborn wrinkles by spritzing with a little water and then hitting the spot with the hairdryer. Needless to say, if it's a fabric that requires lots of ironing (e.g., linen), I simply don't own it.

Excellent suggestions from everyone. In addition to those mentioned and as someone who hasn't owned an ironing board in over thirty years, I've had great success with stubborn wrinkles by spritzing with a little water and then hitting the spot with the hairdryer. Needless to say, if it's a fabric that requires lots of ironing (e.g., linen), I simply don't own it.

Hey, that's a new one I hadn't thought of! Great idea. I'll try it next time I need to iron something. I hate ironing and rarely iron anything, at home or away.

I'm the opposite, I love to iron and iron absolutely all my clothes with few exceptions. I have some jersey knit dresses and tops that you could roll into a ball for a week and they still come out looking great. Other things, I love the feel and look of freshly ironed clothing, especially jeans.

I press everything very well and allow to cool before placing a dry cleaner bag over each item. If it is an article of clothing that tends to wrinkle easily, I'll put a dry cleaner bag on the hanger first, the clothing, then another dry cleaner bag.

I will carry along a spray bottle of wrinkle stuff, I don't use the Downey as I don't care for the odor. I rarely use it as the way I pack I hardly ever have wrinkles or creases. The 3 oz. bottle I currently have has gone on multiple trips and is still half full.

Some cruiselines allow small travel steamers, irons are not allowed on any cruise line.

Take a small spray bottle with one teaspoon fabric softener in it or in a separate container . I usually take an empty spray bottle and one or two little disposable containers with the fabric softener. When you unpack add one cup water to the spray bottle and softener and you have homemade Downey wrinkle release. Spray your clothes and fluf fthem, then hang up. Try it! I use it all the time, not just on vacay. You won't need to worry about the three ounce rule either. I save those little containers that salad dressing comes in when I get a to go salad, or small sample containers from the make up counter

I have successfully used the "Zip Lock bag method" for years for cruises and other travels.

Primarily, I pack my tops and blouses/shirts in Zip Lock bags, using the 2 1/2 gallon size. I fold each item carefully and stack them in piles of 4-5 items per stack. Each stack is slid into a bag, the "zipper" closed 2/3 of the way, and then I "burp the bag" to remove the air and create a slight vacuum which results in the clothes not slidingng around inside my luggage. "Burping" is accomplished by laying the filled bag on a firm surface (I use a card table for folding, but it also works to use a bed for the firm surface), and sliding my forearm across the bag from bottom to top, then close the zipper the rest of the way.

When I arrive at my destination and unpack, clothes packed this way arrive wrinkle-free. Onboard, I just stack the bags in the closet and remove items as needed, or in the case of blouses/shirts, hang those items on hangers.

The other benefits include: 1) I don't have to ask the steward for the use of his vacuum cleaner as is needed with Space Bags; 2) The empty bags can be used for storage of clothes that have been worn; 3) You can pack more clothes in each suitcase.

But there is one caveat ..... packing this way allows you to fit more in your suitcases, so be careful you don't exceed the airline weight limits!! I use an electronic luggage scale to check the weights of my bags both before leaving home and after packing on the ship.

We do all the above (downey, steaming in the shower, packing items that don't wrinkle, send it to be pressed onboard) and we've also found that as the week goes on, those trips to the buffet and those extra appetizers will result in you being able to be your own "stretcher" as the extra pounds will stretch the material and smooth those stubborn wrinkles :D.

I have successfully used the "Zip Lock bag method" for years for cruises and other travels.

Primarily, I pack my tops and blouses/shirts in Zip Lock bags, using the 2 1/2 gallon size. I fold each item carefully and stack them in piles of 4-5 items per stack. Each stack is slid into a bag, the "zipper" closed 2/3 of the way, and then I "burp the bag" to remove the air and create a slight vacuum which results in the clothes not slidingng around inside my luggage. "Burping" is accomplished by laying the filled bag on a firm surface (I use a card table for folding, but it also works to use a bed for the firm surface), and sliding my forearm across the bag from bottom to top, then close the zipper the rest of the way.

When I arrive at my destination and unpack, clothes packed this way arrive wrinkle-free. Onboard, I just stack the bags in the closet and remove items as needed, or in the case of blouses/shirts, hang those items on hangers.

The other benefits include: 1) I don't have to ask the steward for the use of his vacuum cleaner as is needed with Space Bags; 2) The empty bags can be used for storage of clothes that have been worn; 3) You can pack more clothes in each suitcase.

But there is one caveat ..... packing this way allows you to fit more in your suitcases, so be careful you don't exceed the airline weight limits!! I use an electronic luggage scale to check the weights of my bags both before leaving home and after packing on the ship.

I also use the packing bags. Some have heavier zipper than ziplok and do not need vacuum. I lay unfolded clothing on a bed (about 5-6 mens shirts on top of a suit coat). Then start folding each one over the other so that the coat is folded over the whole stack. Have used this method to travel with formal wear packed for a week of precruise travel with no wrinkles. Best to have the center item a knit with some give.

Unless you are packing clothing that are extremely prone to wrinkling I believe the biggest problem with wrinkles is due to your packing method. I choose clothing to pack that travels well and with my packing method I ocassionally I have hanged items in the bathroom while I showered but that is pretty rare.

Shak

Archived