Do creams count as liquids??

curlymason

Toothpaste is a liquid. I buy the tiny travel sized tubes and take a few (you can really fill that quart Zippy bag).

Face cream is also a liquid, so watch out for small enough sizes (needs to go in Zippy bag) and ask for samples where you buy your make up and face items.

The face cleaning towelettes are not considered a liquid.

My wife bought some hand or face creme from a duty free shop when we left Brazil and forgot about it when we transited ATL. She didn't put the creme in her checked bags before we handed them over at the transit desk after Customs. It was still in her carry-on bag, and TSA security confiscated it as we went through security to get to the gate for our next flight.

100 ml as per the rest of the world. ;)

Actually the US started out with 3 ounces, but then realized that many "rest of the world" products come in 100ml (and other countries began limiting to 100ml) so the US increased the total per container to 100ml for us non-global US residents, 3.4 ounces :)

Actually the US started out with 3 ounces, but then realized that many "rest of the world" products come in 100ml (and other countries began limiting to 100ml) so the US increased the total per container to 100ml for us non-global US residents, 3.4 ounces :)

Actually the UK had the original ban; which was then raised to 100mL, only then did the US go to 3oz and later 100mL

This was done in response to the UK group that had planned to blow up a number transatlantic flights in 2006, based on the successful bombing of Philippines Flight 434, where the explosive had been contained in an contact lens solution bottle.

The best bet is go straight to the source, the TSA website that answers the question in great detail. A sign I saw at an airport was a good summary- "If it pours, smears, or spreads it's a liquid".

FYI the 100mL restriction is on the container, not the amount of liquid it contains. For example 20mL of liquid in a 250mL container will probably be confiscated.

My MIL had her face cream conficated also on our return flight from Rome. She made it through Rome fine, it was in Philly that they took it. And of course she had to argue and we had to physically pull her arm away. She fussed the whole rest of the trip back.

Interesting that you mention the Rome airport. FCO I would assume. My family went through FCO and we had some small jugs of water that we got from the house of the Virgin Mary near Ephesus. We forgot that they were in one of our day packs. No problem at FCO, but we needed to overnight at LHR and the next morning going through security we needed to dump the water. Actually the lady was supposed to confiscate the jugs but she returned them to us as she knew we weren't likely terrorism candidates trying to poison or bomb anyone.

In hind sight I was surprised the staff at FCO let us transit security in the first place.

. Actually the lady was supposed to confiscate the jugs but she returned them to us as she knew we weren't likely terrorism candidates trying to poison or bomb anyone.

IF this were the case, then their wouldn't be any searches. She "knew"? Sorry, I work in a prison, and ALL ages smuggle stuff in, including the "sweet" grandmother, who brought her grandson, a nice rock of cocaine, and a family who had a nice assortment of pills, in the baby's diapers. There is NO way of "knowing" anything. :(

IF this were the case, then their wouldn't be any searches. She "knew"? Sorry, I work in a prison, and ALL ages smuggle stuff in, including the "sweet" grandmother, who brought her grandson, a nice rock of cocaine, and a family who had a nice assortment of pills, in the baby's diapers. There is NO way of "knowing" anything. :(

It's not the TSA's job or mission to look for drugs. They actually have no legal right to go through a pill bottle (or diaper) trying to determine if something is Oxycontin or aspirin. It is not within the scope of their mission and not something they will even bother to look at.

It's not the TSA's job or mission to look for drugs. They actually have no legal right to go through a pill bottle (or diaper) trying to determine if something is Oxycontin or aspirin. It is not within the scope of their mission and not something they will even bother to look at.

that isn't the point. What is, is, it is unknown- WHO is the 'problem" and appearances mean nothing.

that isn't the point. What is, is, it is unknown- WHO is the 'problem" and appearances mean nothing.

They should be concentrating on the unknown then, not the frequent flyers who fly 150+ segments a year, have been an elite with the same airline for 20+ years, and pay for their ticket on the same credit card they've used for over 10 years. A little common sense would go a long way.

They should be concentrating on the unknown then, not the frequent flyers who fly 150+ segments a year, have been an elite with the same airline for 20+ years, and pay for their ticket on the same credit card they've used for over 10 years. A little common sense would go a long way.

And that is some kind of guarantee???? Sorry, it isn't.

If I were a TSA agent...YOU may be the FIRST person I would look at. As another poster said....it's not WHO you are but what you're carrying. Don't you think that terrorist's know how to create this pattern? (maybe I watch to much CSI. Just sayin.....

If I were a TSA agent...YOU may be the FIRST person I would look at. As another poster said....it's not WHO you are but what you're carrying. Don't you think that terrorist's know how to create this pattern? (maybe I watch to much CSI. Just sayin.....

OMG, you don't seriously think CSI is anything approaching reality do you? it's possibly the least realistic show that's been on network TV for 20 years

The main point I was trying to raise was the difference in going through 2 airports - FCO and LHR. I was really surprised that the FCO security people let us through with unmeasured containers of a liquid and the LHR team found them.

What is the reputation of FCO and the Italian airport security system in general?

My comment had nothing to do with searches. She searched, she found something that needed to be removed and did it. The difference was that she returned the containers to me. The protocol at LHR was not to handle the liquids in any way they could be toxic. However, she poured the water down the drain and then returned them to me.

While she didn't know with 100% probability that we were not a problem, in her judgement a family of 4 travelling together did not present a material risk. The fact that she used her judgement to make a decision rather than acting as an unthinking automaton impressed me.

Everything means something and contributes to an overall risk assessment. While profiling has largely been sacrificed on the alter of political correctness it can contribute to a better decision when trying to manage risk. Ask the security people at TLV.

A slight nuance on your point. The security should be focusing on the highest priority risks. I have even volunteered additional information about myself through the US Global Entry program to ensure that my risk profile is well understood when I come into the US. They are now using this same information for going through security in a new pilot program:

http://www.globalentry.gov/tsa.html

First of all, I don't "carry" anything I'm not supposed to. I follow the rules. My point is that rather than spending the time doing "extra screening" on people like myself, they should be instead spending that time looking at people who fit various profiles--last minute tickets paid for with cash, people who have traveled to certain countries, etc.

And there is NO terrorist who has spent the past 20+ years as a frequent flyer on a single airline flying generally the same routes. That just makes no sense any way you try to look at it.

Archived