Can you help me please? In need of some advice.

egamigal

I have many friends that I have been trying to get to join me on a cruise. They have always given me the same excuses over and over again: "I can't swim" , "They are too expensive", "I get seasick", and my personal favorite "Cruises are not safe". I have been able to combat them all and convince a few friends to join me on a few cruises, but with the recent sexual assaults and the Costa Concordia sinking a few of my friends still have reservations about the safety of cruising. How would you convince them that cruising is still a safe method of travel and entertainment for people of all ages?

I have many friends that I have been trying to get to join me on a cruise. They have always given me the same excuses over and over again: "I can't swim" , "They are too expensive", "I get seasick", and my personal favorite "Cruises are not safe". I have been able to combat them all and convince a few friends to join me on a few cruises, but with the recent sexual assaults and the Costa Concordia sinking a few of my friends still have reservations about the safety of cruising. How would you convince them that cruising is still a safe method of travel and entertainment for people of all ages?

I would stop trying. You have your opinion about cruiseing and they have their opinions. Everybodies opinion has merit and value. That opinion should be respected.

I'm sure there are some things in life that you just refuse to do for whatever reason while others accept it.

I agree. I wouldn't keep pushing and trying to combat their reasons. If they don't want to cruise after all the time and effort you've made, then it's time to stop debating the issue. Some day they may decide to change their minds and cruise with you. If so, great; if not, then you're still friends who simply have different preferences.

beachchick

I have the same situation with some people I know....I have sopped basically because I feel that if they are so reluctant then they might very well be negative during their cruise and also I would feel a lot of pressure to make sure everything was perfect, and that's no vacation at all. Enjoy the people you meet on a cruise and maybe, just maybe you might end up finding a new cruise buddy :)

One conversation to "convince" someone to cruise is plenty. They don't want to go. If they are truly friends of yours, respect their decision. You can come home & talk about what a wonderful time you had, but leave it alone.

I would agree with the many other responses that you cannot convince someone else who doesn't want to be convinced, and you don't know that the reason given isn't just a reason to cover -- "I simply don't want to go."

If they truly believe that it isn't safe, then trying to convince them now would be really difficult. Of course, cruising today is no more or less safe than it was last Thursday. The same with air travel after an accident, but more people are scared right after an accident than at other times. Your attempts to convince them otherwise are going to fall on deaf ears.

We come back raving about trips, but few of our friends suddenly decide to go on a cruise. It is for some people and not for others.

We cruise regardless and have a great time.

I agree to "stop trying".

In my experience some excuses/reasons given are truthful while some are masking other issues that they don't want to admit.

A few 'real reasons' that I have discovered being masked....

1. Cannot afford it or don't want to spend that much money on a vacation.

2. I am afraid to fly.

3. I am afraid of the ocean.

These are valid reasons and it would be nice if they would admit it rather than blame something or someone else.

One couple we know...ask the wife..."He is afraid of the water."; ask the husband..."She is afraid of not seeing land." :rolleyes:

Two completely different examples in your post.

Sexual assaults would not be likely to happen if they do not allow themselves to get in a dangerous situation. Not blaming the victims at all, but if someone goes to the cabin of a person who they do not know the outcome is likely to not be good.

The Concordia tragedy may cause a very small segment of travelers to decide not to cruise, especially if they have not cruised previously. Then again, most will still drive a car, take a flight, ride a subway, etc. We can't just curl up in a corner and never leave home.

As other CC posters have pointed out, it's best to not try and talk anyone into doing something they don't want to do. If they should give in to you, guess who they are going to blame if they do get seasick, have a bad time, etc?

A friend that has multiple excuses why they don't want to cruise ,

may be just covering up for the real reason , that they don't want to

spend the $$$$.

Or that they are simply not interested and would rather spend their vacation time and dollars some other way. Leave them alone. They don't need to justify their rejection of cruising to anyone.

We have friends that we tried convincing to join us on several cruises and they came up with the same excuses as yours. Finally, they took a cruise on their own and came back to report that they hated every aspect of it. Seasickness, high prices, unfriendly staff, inedible food, the sun was too hot, the rain was too wet. I can tell you at that time I was never happier that they chose to travel by themselves, rather than blaming us for their horrible holday. I believe they would have had a terrible time wherever they went simply due to their attitude; they forget that if you can't bring perfection, you can't expect perfection.

Go and enjoy your cruises as much as you want; you'll meet people onboard who love cruising as much as you, and will likely join some of them on later voyages. Incidents such as the Costa Concordia are few and far between - get on a ship and enjoy yourself and all it has to offer.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have to agree, don't even try to convince anyone to cruise if they keep finding excuses.

I have 2 sisters. One cruises with us on almost every cruise since 2005 and the other thinks cruises are stupid. Although I doubt she has even seen a cruise ship. I doubt I'd ever consider asking her to join us as she finds fault with everything in life and would ruin the trip for all around her.

Now, if anyone tried to convince me that camping is a great vacation choice I would find plenty to argue. Bugs, bears, snakes, horrid bathroom arrangements, terrible sleeping conditions, having to drive a great distance. Not to mention the expense of equipment, tents, stoves, sleeping bags, cots, etc... I don't consider RV's at a developed campground as camping and can't understand the investment in such a huge vehicle to only use on occasion. But people who love camping or RV'ing think it's wonderful and wouldn't vacation any other way.

My husband camped with me once in the past 30 years and swears he will never go through that torture again. We've been on 20 plus cruises so far.

I've convinced some relatives and co-workers without really trying :)

I am honest talking about cruising, tell them that I get sea sick when I just see a boat, and cruise without getting sick with the help of Ginger (and occasional Bonine)

And of course coming back safely and bringing interesting photos and a ton of stories makes them envy me :D

Why do you want people who don't share your interests to spoil your vacations? Because this is what will happen if you talk them into joining you. Have great time, and brag about what they've missed!

I was one of those you couldn't get on a cruise ship even when I had a chance at a free cruise (we had a cruiseline as a client and they once offered some free fares to our staff as long as you were willing to pay for the flight back to LA from Mexico). Years later I met a guy who had gone on his first cruise and loved it. So I agreed to go with him on a cruise, had the right attitude, and got hooked. Even though I'm not a swimming myself. And suffer from motion sickness. Since then every vacation we've been on that was longer than a couple of days, other than our honeymoon, has involved a cruise.

We have friends who won't go on a cruise, and other than telling them how much fun we have and what a value cruises are, we don't try to convince them to try it. But if they ever want to go on one, we will be there to answer any questions.

Years and years ago we tried to convince our neighbors to go on a cruise with us. The husband wanted to go. But the wife is afraid of flying and being on the water. After a couple of attempts -- we gave up. Never bothered trying to talk anyone into a cruise again.

If a person wants to go on a cruise -- they will.

I agree with the vast majority of posters who recommend not trying to convince a reluctant friend to join you.

I think there is the underlying issue. I wonder if your real question is regarding safety.

According to Answers.com

In the USA there are about 40000 deaths in car crashes every year (see http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx). That suggests that if you drive the average amount for 50 years (reasonable assumption chances of dying in a car are roughly 1 in 100.

The chances of dying in a plane crash are 1 in 11 millionY

The odds of being killed on a single trip in an airliner accident is 52.6 million:1. The odds are lower for smaller aircraft.

Source: NTSB Accidents and Accident Rates by NTSB Classification 1995-2004 DOT Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS)

A new report on U.S. general aviation safety trends in 2007 shows maneuvering accidents continue to rise and represent a main cause of fatal crashes in general aviation. The overall accident rate was slightly up at 6.7 per 100,000 flying hours, compared with 2006's rate of 6.06, while fatal accidents decreased, dropping to 1.18 fatal accidents per 100,000 flying

I couldn't find statistical odds for dying in a cruise accident, but did find a reference that said the odds were higher of dying from a lightning strike.

As for the odds of a sexual assault on a cruise, I believe they are also extremely low unless you willingly go to a strangers cabin

I agree with the other posters that you should stop trying to convince them. When and if they want to cruise, they will. Think of something you have no desire to try...how would you feel if a friend continuously tried to convince you to try it? How long would you want that person as a friend?

Archived