Off-Menu items for picky eater

tortoisegirl

Hi there! I'm wondering if there are other options for a picky eater (mostly vegetarian) on the Golden Princess. I have looked at the menus and see basically no main courses I'll eat. On our previous cruise I ended up making a meal of appetizers or ordered a side of vegetables and bread/potatoes for a main, but ideally I'd like some other options so I get some protein/a balanced meal. I'll eat some fish and dairy, but a lot of the veggie stuff often doesn't work as I don't like bell peppers, onion, eggplant, weird sauces, etc.

I see the always available items and the kid's menu, but it would be awesome to have main course options besides veggies, bread, potatoes, fettuccine alfredo, spaghetti, shrimp cocktail, and fish sticks, especially something that might have protein (tofu, beans, mac & cheese, etc). Anyone know if there are other off-menu always available items? Is Princess similar to Royal Caribbean such that you can ask for simple sides in addition to menu items, such as mixed veggies, potatoes, etc? I have heard that they can't do pizza. Will they do other pastas (like put some shrimp or tofu in it, or mac & cheese)? Are indian vegetarian items available nightly?

I imagine I'll survive just fine though with salad, potatoes, and a cheese plate, but options are always nice since its a 7 night cruise. Its often difficult to know what to ask for as it seems rude to ask the waiter if anything else is available, but to ask could you bring me X or Y seems nicer/easier. The buffet wasn't a problem for me before, just the dining room. Thanks!

Can you have salmon? I think that is on the always available menu.

There is almost always a fish entree every night. I would ask to have it prepared without the sauce, grilled or poached, whatever your preference is.

You can also order any of the pastas without sauce and toss them with butter or olive oil and cheese.

Talk to the Maitre 'd. There are lots of things available, especially if you plan in advance
I agree. The Maitre d' will give you the next night's menus and you can request modifications, something not on the menu, an entree-size appetizer, etc. On longer cruises, I get tired of the food even though the menus change daily and sometimes order an appetizer and a chef's salad for dinner. All you have to do is ask.

I'm not the type to want to involve the Maitre'd and make menu changes. Since I'm a picky eater and there is something I'll eat on the menu...just not a ton of variety (we're not talking about a food allergy or intolerance here). I hate having a fuss made over me. But I hadn't thought about ordering stuff without sauces, which would open up quite a bit!

Maybe someone will chime in with a "I saw someone order X" though, so I know what they make typically prep without needing notice (like veggies or the sides for entrees). I imagine I could also ask what sides come with the entrees and ask for a plate made up of those (easier than something separate)? My hubby doesn't do carbs and I know a lot of times on the last cruise I would have eaten his sides if they didn't come with meat juice on them lol. Thanks!

Just ask whether it's possible to put the sauce on the side. I often ask for a baked potato instead of the potato listed with the entree. You can ask for extra vegetables or "instead of." Those you can just order through your waitstaff. Don't be shy about asking for the Maitre d' or the Table Captain. Special orders are done all the time and they're happy to accommodate you.

Agreed, and the best thing to do is ask in advance! If the MD knows your needs they can give the kitchen staff plenty of advance notice which greatly increases your options..

As long as they have the materials on board they will be happy to make pretty much anything you want (well within reason, I suppose)

Just ask whether it's possible to put the sauce on the side. I often ask for a baked potato instead of the potato listed with the entree. You can ask for extra vegetables or "instead of." Those you can just order through your waitstaff. Don't be shy about asking for the Maitre d' or the Table Captain. Special orders are done all the time and they're happy to accommodate you.

Dont be shy about asking the M D so that you can organise your food the night before you dine as this saves a lot of time when the actual serving takes place They would rather you organised it before than altered things and changed things at order time We have several times been on a table where for some reason - often allergies - the next nights meals were organised while the client was having their coffee.

Dont be shy about asking the M D....

Seriously. A 5 minute conversation with the MD will do you far more good than getting the opinions of a dozen strangers on a chat board. You are paying way too much for your vacation to allow your meals to be anything less than what you want. The galley is well stocked and the kitchen staff is talented. They will hook you up. But you have to ask.

Don't be afraid to ask about Indian dishes. The crew mess caters to a great many Indians, as well as Filipino and Indonesians, and I have heard they can get you food from there. Plus, many of the cooks are from India. Sometimes they welcome a challenge. EM

I'm not a picky eater but travel with some who are. You don't even have to talk to the maitre' d. I've never seen a problem with any requests someone has asked a waiter. I've seen appetizer sized entrées, entrée sized apps, no sauce, no mushrooms, boiled veggies not on menu, chicken thats not on menu etc... They really will be able to do almost anything you ask.

I'm not a picky eater but travel with some who are. You don't even have to talk to the maitre' d. I've never seen a problem with any requests someone has asked a waiter. I've seen appetizer sized entrées, entrée sized apps, no sauce, no mushrooms, boiled veggies not on menu, chicken thats not on menu etc... They really will be able to do almost anything you ask.

What they cannot do is modify a recipe. Only the headwaiter or Matre d' can do this for you.

For example, the French onion soup normally has a beef base. A vegetarian version with no beef base can be prepared for those who do not eat meat products. But your waiter cannot arrange this for you.

As another example, if must limit your salt intake, the waiter cannot have the dishes prepared with no added salt. The headwaiter and Matre d' can arrange this for you.

We had some fantastic Indian vegetarian dishes. I'm not overly fussy and will eat pretty much anything without meat so I just asked (the MD) for a surprise!

A few nights later they organised Indian food for my whole table. It was fantastic. Plus we got even more people looking over at us and saying "what are they having?" than the people who were on the chef's table!

They are very accommodating; but you just have to ask so they can plan.

Hi there! I'm wondering if there are other options for a picky eater (mostly vegetarian) on the Golden Princess. I have looked at the menus and see basically no main courses I'll eat. On our previous cruise I ended up making a meal of appetizers or ordered a side of vegetables and bread/potatoes for a main, but ideally I'd like some other options so I get some protein/a balanced meal. I'll eat some fish and dairy, but a lot of the veggie stuff often doesn't work as I don't like bell peppers, onion, eggplant, weird sauces, etc.

I see the always available items and the kid's menu, but it would be awesome to have main course options besides veggies, bread, potatoes, fettuccine alfredo, spaghetti, shrimp cocktail, and fish sticks, especially something that might have protein (tofu, beans, mac & cheese, etc). Anyone know if there are other off-menu always available items? Is Princess similar to Royal Caribbean such that you can ask for simple sides in addition to menu items, such as mixed veggies, potatoes, etc? I have heard that they can't do pizza. Will they do other pastas (like put some shrimp or tofu in it, or mac & cheese)? Are indian vegetarian items available nightly?

I imagine I'll survive just fine though with salad, potatoes, and a cheese plate, but options are always nice since its a 7 night cruise. Its often difficult to know what to ask for as it seems rude to ask the waiter if anything else is available, but to ask could you bring me X or Y seems nicer/easier. The buffet wasn't a problem for me before, just the dining room. Thanks!

My husband and I are both vegetarians--we do eat dairy. Several times, after a cruise, on the questionnaire that is e-mailed to us, I've suggested that the vege choices are very limited. If you are vegetarian, you probably are health-conscious, so the "fetuccini Alfredo" is not a good choice. I am adventurous enough to eat the vege entree, but my husband is like you--he doesn't like mushrooms, eggplant, etc--you get the picture! He often orders a baked potato and the vege side dishes--or sometimes pasta with plain tomato sauce. Either of these with a salad, make a good meal. I think the idea of asking about Indian choice is great! And, we prefer eating in the MDR instead of the buffet for dinner. Good luck--and enjoy your cruise (even the dinners!)

The head waiter will be used to coming to some of the tables with the next night's menu to confer with passengers with all sorts of needs. When my hubby was told he had borderline cholesterol scores, I indicated a low cholesterol diet on the cruise personalizer. The head waiter stopped by every night to our table. My hubby's choices were made specially to reduce the fat content.

If you like Indian food don't be afraid to ask for that, with a advanced day notice it's amazing what you can get. My wife requested a vegetarian Indian dish on our last cruise and it was amazing what they brought her the next day. For her it was a great change from the limited things she'd eat each day.

The extra mile that the dining room/galley will go to for a guest is amazing. Our cruises are typically 20-30 days in length so we just get tired of eating. Some nights we've requested a grilled cheese sandwich, some nights I ask for all the veggies in the kitchen, some nights a baked potato with broccali, some nights I've even been able to get something that was on the lunch menu. Just ask.

Definitely notify Princess now on the cruise personalizer section on the website and even via phone call. Let them know you need vegetarian meals only and give them specifics. The more advance notice the more chance you'll get what you want and need.

I'm a picky eater too. We do late traditional dining and I ask our waiter if I can have green beans and Lima beans every night. Most of the time I get them. I also go to the cruise personalized and choose low fat and every cruise the head waiter comes to our table in the 1st night so I can tell him my request.

Seriously. A 5 minute conversation with the MD will do you far more good than getting the opinions of a dozen strangers on a chat board. You are paying way too much for your vacation to allow your meals to be anything less than what you want. The galley is well stocked and the kitchen staff is talented. They will hook you up. But you have to ask.

Actually, I think cruise vacations are not all that expensive and they have a menu for a reason and even though I am a picky eater I try not to be to much of a bother for the dining staff since they are serving several thousand people.

Actually, I think cruise vacations are not all that expensive and they have a menu for a reason and even though I am a picky eater I try not to be to much of a bother for the dining staff since they are serving several thousand people.

I totally agree.

The staff is busy enough, so why bug them to make something off the menu for you. Yes, some people don't eat this or that - I think there are enough choices on the menu that they don't need to request special foods just for them. If you are that picky - don't do a cruise - pick another vacation. I also understand some people do have allergies (more and more every year) and I think it is important that they know what is in their food BUT that is different than just being picky.

One of these days, they are going to jack up prices because they need to add more staff in the galley and serving staff. Can you imagine what it would be like if a third of the ship's passengers asked for special foods. That could happen - people here keep saying - they can make it for you - just ask. Same as with room service - they have a menu but people want foods that aren't on it. And people here keep saying - just write it in.

The staff is wonderful about all these requests. You wonder what they say to each other when they get back in the galley.

I'm not the type to want to involve the Maitre'd and make menu changes. Since I'm a picky eater and there is something I'll eat on the menu...just not a ton of variety (we're not talking about a food allergy or intolerance here). I hate having a fuss made over me. But I hadn't thought about ordering stuff without sauces, which would open up quite a bit!

Maybe someone will chime in with a "I saw someone order X" though, so I know what they make typically prep without needing notice (like veggies or the sides for entrees). I imagine I could also ask what sides come with the entrees and ask for a plate made up of those (easier than something separate)? My hubby doesn't do carbs and I know a lot of times on the last cruise I would have eaten his sides if they didn't come with meat juice on them lol. Thanks!

I think it's strange that you want all of us to make guesses as to what might be available on your cruise, but don't want to involve Maitre'd. It's his job to do this and he will know if anything else is available.

Thank you for the continued responses! No I don't want folks to guess what might be available, nor do I want to have the Maitre'd make a fuss over me...just curious if anyone had seen or known of items which would be normally prepped with dinner and are easy for the waiter to bring out, such as potatoes, veggies, variations on pasta, Indian, etc. A compromise on having a special dish made up for me and eating the same thing every night. There were helpful responses here in many ways. I kinda agree with the posts that if you are just picky and don't have an allergy or health condition, why make extra work for someone? I agree with that. Also seeing how Princess may compare with Royal Caribbean as to off menu items. Royal didn't have the available always type items listed, but all the stuff I asked for like the veggies or stuff being on separate plates seemed easy for them to do (there wasn't the...I'll see what I can do or I'll talk to the chef...but taking my order and bringing it with the groups). It would make me uncomfortable to have the Maitre'd come over and single me out. I'll make do with whatever, but more information is always helpful. I'm all about easy solutions that will make a big difference to me. Thanks!

Archived