Passengers removed from ship for failure to muster

blazeinthesun

On X and RCI they do take roll call and the person that is not there or late becoimes "hated";):rolleyes: for everyone has to wait until they are found and get to the muster drill.They announce their names and ask if anytone knows them. Sometimes it's someone not paying attention who forgot to check in.(the man behind me)

Information from a friend who works at Port Everglades for the Sheriff's Office, this past weekend on a HAL Jazz Cruise, several passengers failed to appear for muster. They were located and removed from the ship, including the engineer for one of the jazz bands. Serious stuff...finally!

Why was the Broward County Sheriff's office called?

Usually Holland has older passengers, doubt very much they would cause a scene.

;)

Edited by Feelin' Nauti'

Why was the Broward County Sheriff's office called?

Usually Holland has older passengers' date=' doubt very much they would cause a scene.

;)[/quote']

Not on 7 day cruises, plus this sounds like a series of special interest (jazz) cruises. Please don't perpetuate stereotypes.

I'm interested to know if 'warning' was given that anyone who didn't attend would be put off the ship.

Yes, that warning, and consequences if failing, being located by "sweep teams" and then refusing to attend, is now part of the revised p/a announcement given by the cruise director prior to the (new name) passenger emergency drill. It went into effect on Maasdam effective 01/27/2012 in Ft. Lauderdale

McDaddy was on that Westerdam cruise, he joined us on the Port Everglades thread yesterday before board her, hope he comes back to tell us for sure what was going on. We certainly heard enough comments from the bridge yesterday to know something was happening.

Not on 7 day cruises, plus this sounds like a series of special interest (jazz) cruises. Please don't perpetuate stereotypes.
I wasn't implying well beyond middle aged. :rolleyes:

It's not Spring Break, or anything like that. So, I gathered this sailing had a lot more older clientele rather than young people with children.

Yes, that warning, and consequences if failing, being located by "sweep teams" and then refusing to attend, is now part of the revised p/a announcement given by the cruise director prior to the (new name) passenger emergency drill. It went into effect on Maasdam effective 01/27/2012 in Ft. Lauderdale

I am glad to hear this. When we were with our friends on the Eurodam last September, we were upset that roll was not taken and people were talking and joking during the muster. Our previous HAL cruises had been much more strigent, and I am sorry it took a tragedy for the muster to be done the right way again.

I am glad to hear this. When we were with our friends on the Eurodam last September, we were upset that roll was not taken and people were talking and joking during the muster. Our previous HAL cruises had been much more strigent, and I am sorry it took a tragedy for the muster to be done the right way again.

I hadn't cruised for a couple of years and was surprised on the Eurodam they didn't take roll call....I'm glad it's going back to the way it was and hope people pay attention and arrive on time.

Hi - I am just curious...do the "sweep teams" look for specific passengers who have not signed in, or for any passengers relaxing when they should be attending the drill? I thought that I always had to identify myself to a crew member when showing up at the appropriate spot. Would the captain delay a departure if individuals were not located? Again, just curious. Cherie

As a result of the Costa tragedy, I look for a conference that will soon result in new SOLAS regs, industry wide, that will make the muster or passenger emergency or whatever they call it, much more extensive, than in the quickie drills done previously. If the shiplines don't enact such themselves, I am confident their underwriter's will push for it.

Hi - I am just curious...do the "sweep teams" look for specific passengers who have not signed in, or for any passengers relaxing when they should be attending the drill? I thought that I always had to identify myself to a crew member when showing up at the appropriate spot. Would the captain delay a departure if individuals were not located? Again, just curious. Cherie

Hi Cherie; they, the sweep teams, look for any passengers onboard the vessel not physically located on boat deck where the drill is taking place. They "sweep" all passenger area's while the room stewards check the interior of their assigned cabins. When/if pax are located, they are directed to the boat deck and the drill. If they refuse, a meeting takes place with the chief officer at the front office, in which they are once again directed to take part in the drill. If they still refuse, they are directed to pack/get their bags and disembark

Exactly what I was thinking. What if the "missing folks" did a good job of hiding and couldn't be found. Would they really delay the ship leaving port?

If this was the case, I don't feel for them at all. I can recall years ago where I had a tablemate brag how she hid in her cabin closet to avoid the muster drill.

Yes they are a pain in the butt, however it's a vital to know what and where to go in case the unthinkable happen.

On all my HAL sailings, the muster drill was done prior to sailing and a roll call of cabin number (and name if no answer by cabin number) at your lifeboat station.

The only time I can recall a muster drill done after sailing was on my 14 day cruise. We had a cruise within a cruise. On our Barbados stop, you had people boarding for the start of their 14 day cruise and with some not arriving until late in the evening, these people had muster drill in st. Lucia during time in port.

On my HAL cruises roll call was taken (last one in '08) but not on my Princess cruises. In fact, two in our party missed it because they got back from the pool too late but when we returned to our cabin the two that missed it had been watching it on TV and had put their life jackets on. I was surprised they got away with not going.

I personally look forward to it; it's one of the only times you can see a lot of your fellow passengers all together at one time, and I always need to be reminded of how to put the life vest on--there are so many strings:o

On recent Maasdam cruise attendance was not taken so there is no way to know if we were at muster drill or not. Cannot believe story. On my 10 cruises I have been on (5 with HAL) all drills were done before sailing.

Quite correct. Names are no longer taken but the stewards search every cabin after the alarm has sounded. If the guilty one were 'hiding' in their cabin or trying to staay out of sight somewhere, they would be found.

There is little point in taking names as HAL used to do. As we have seen on CORCORDIA, boat muster in a real emergeency would not be quiet enough to record every name. The cabin search is the best option.

Stephen

On all the Hal cruises I've been on, the muster drill occurs after we left port and are out to sea.

How do they remove passengers in the middle of the ocean?

Don't know what HAL ships you have sailed on.

We have been on quite a few HAL cruises -- over 700 days -- and 99% of the time our lifeboat drill has been at either 4:15 or 4:30.

The exception has been our late departure from Seward and we had lifeboat drill the next morning.

...]Now, as to the reason those passengers were let off, I suspect missing muster was part of the story, but only part.

Yes, there is a story behind the story on that one, but I suspect it is one of stubborness with a subplot of disrespect directed to officers asking them to go to drill. Things will be different now.

Edited by world~citizen

On all the Hal cruises I've been on, the muster drill occurs after we left port and are out to sea.

How do they remove passengers in the middle of the ocean?

And on all the (9) HAL cruises I've been on, the muster drill occurs BEFORE we left left port! ;) Are you sure?:confused: