Norovirus

5 minutes ago, vanelli56 said:

Thank you very much!  Glad to help you train for your marathon. 🙂

Happy to help people feel more at ease, though I trust they will still exercise due care with hygiene.  

As for my training, we just need to clear the other guests and stewards from the halls so I can speedwalk as I check cabin numbers, lol.  

• Like 2

No tape above our door 12717 and both in our cabin were sick and reported illness to medical.  Tape above family member’s door who was also affected, 12719.  All in-room books have been removed and will be destroyed and ALL linens will be sent to off-ship facility for sanitizing, with new linens being brought in while that process is completed (per housekeeping staff).  Stuff under bed was removed yesterday.

Currently onboard Oasis. All books/magazines are being removed from cabins and destroyed. All spare linens from under beds in cabins have been removed. New linens will be brought onboard. Current linens will be sent out for special laundering and will be returned later. Oasis should be the cleanest ship afloat!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

See post #329.  That poster lead me to note subtle tape above impacted neighbor’s door.  Now I see others with tape as I walk around.  I cannot swear to its meaning, but a decent guess based on post 329 and my known neighbor.

The tape or sticker above door is for the currently quarantined cabins.  We were told this on a prior norovirus cruise on Anthem.  I know for a fact that the people on either side of us were quarantined, as well as the people they were travelling with and all cabins and others had tape.  Our corridor was fogged nightly, as the men were loud and woke us up.  I looked out the peep hole and saw the men in hazmat suits with the fogging machine.  I saw our cabin steward put on a hazmat suit and go into the room beside us, under the supervision of an officer.  The tape does have significance.

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I would go crazy in that cabin!

Just got debarkatiin luggage tags and instructions.  Got a really high number.  Was surprised no priority for D+. Concierge did give us lower number tags.

We got something like 46 last month on Oasis!  ( we were in a standard balcony  and have high status with RCCL)  Didn't  matter, as we do  walk off. Does C&A status (except  for Pinnacle) dictate the debarkation number?  I thought it was more accommodation driven.

back to the topic - hope everyone  will be OK

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

16 minutes ago, nktwinpeaks said:

No tape above our door 12717 and both in our cabin were sick and reported illness to medical.  Tape above family member’s door who was also affected, 12719.  All in-room books have been removed and will be destroyed and ALL linens will be sent to off-ship facility for sanitizing, with new linens being brought in while that process is completed (per housekeeping staff).  Stuff under bed was removed yesterday.

Interesting.  Were you quarantined?  If so, has quarantine been removed now?

21 minutes ago, TwinPeaks2 said:

Currently onboard Oasis. All books/magazines are being removed from cabins and destroyed. All spare linens from under beds in cabins have been removed. New linens will be brought onboard. Current linens will be sent out for special laundering and will be returned later. Oasis should be the cleanest ship afloat!

Thank you for the report!  Will be on Oasis early March so this makes me feel a lot better!  This stuff can happen anywhere honestly.  There is an outbreak of norovirus in Oakland County, Michigan right now.  My daycare provider sent a letter from the County warning the parents...

15 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The tape or sticker above door is for the currently quarantined cabins.  We were told this on a prior norovirus cruise on Anthem.  I know for a fact that the people on either side of us were quarantined, as well as the people they were travelling with and all cabins and others had tape.  Our corridor was fogged nightly, as the men were loud and woke us up.  I looked out the peep hole and saw the men in hazmat suits with the fogging machine.  I saw our cabin steward put on a hazmat suit and go into the room beside us, under the supervision of an officer.  The tape does have significance.

The cabin across the hall from me has been released from quarantine, but the tape is still there.

I have noted tape in different positions on door frames, so maybe some are active quarantine and some are past quarantine or special attention planned for cabin during extended cleaning or something.  If I see my steward, I’ll see if he will tell me anything.

• Like 1

Just now, Starry Eyes said:

The cabin across the hall from me has been released from quarantine, but the tape is still there.

I have noted tape in different positions on door frames, so maybe some are active quarantine and some are past quarantine or special attention planned for cabin during extended cleaning or something.  If I see my steward, I’ll see if he will tell me anything.

Could be with such a fluid situation.  I am sure some are being quarantined just as fast as others are being let out.

Nice that you are checking cabins for people, I did the same on our Anthem sailing.  Our sailing and the other two Anthem sailings that were involved in the outbreak never hit the 3% mark, so they aren't listed on the CDC website.  First time I ever saw crew assigned to the Freestyle machines.

6 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

To all,  We have been told that many cruisers may use the drawers in the cabins to store their soiled clothing before packing up. Perhaps it would be wise to also spray the interior of the drawers and cabinets before placing your clothing in them. We do this and one step further. We have all our clothing, clothing not being hung in the closet, in large zip-lock 'Hefty' bags, which we then place in the sprayed drawers and cupboards. It still will not protect you , should someone cough in your face in the elevator, but at least we can try to protect ourselves as best we can.

That's just gross that people would do that. I would think people would want the space for storing things other than  dirty clothes. We have never used a drawer for dirty clothing. We have a laundry bag that we use and it stays in the closet on the floor. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

What will happen to the people who start showing symptoms tonight?  At the rate the numbers are increasing, there are bound to be new cases before disembarkation.  Will they be put off the ship while actively ill?

Actually, I think the rate of new cases is now declining.  They noted the problem and instituted special precautions.  The case still climbed thereafter, as people in the incubation period developed symptoms.  But now, I really think the special precautions plus passengers’ awareness/fear has caused the number of cases to decline again.  Only 100 currently in quarantine, and hopefully some of those will soon hit the 24 hour symptom free mark.  Let’s hope they remember their hygiene thereafter as viruses can still spread without such care.

To answer your question, people can be released into the community with GI viruses.  Happens all the time if people go to their dr office, clinic, ER, etc with such symptoms....typically they are evaluated, care advised, released to home.

21 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We got something like 46 last month on Oasis!  ( we were in a standard balcony  and have high status with RCCL)  Didn't  matter, as we do  walk off. Does C&A status (except  for Pinnacle) dictate the debarkation number?  I thought it was more accommodation driven.

back to the topic - hope everyone  will be OK

m

My understanding on other ships the higher the status the lower your number and earlier debarkation.  Not so on Oasis or so I was told.  Since we have to drive a distance tomorrow wanted an earlier debarkation.

Wandering the decks, plenty if people out and about.  Had to wait for golf clubs at mini golf.  Interesting that with all the cleaning no one was wiping the clubs or balls.  They are using all their staff, i.e. camp, entertainers, etc., to hand out plates, beverages and soon.

Also, we haven't been sick but all our magazines are also gone already.

Starry Eyes, we were quarantined and since released.  Tape remains above my sister’s cabin though her quarantine ended early yesterday.  I just counted 15 cabins with yellow tape on deck 12 and know at least two with no tape that were ill—my cabin 12717 and a friend’s cabin 12295, who just got sick at 1 am today.  Perhaps they stopped applying tape after they decided to sanitize entire ship??  Took 27 hours for nurse to get to us and only then because I followed up multiple times with medical and guest services.  I also told Loyalty Ambassador (LA) when he called to cancel bridge and galley tours.  A nurse called after LA contact and believe it or not, she said if a nurse never came to see us, our illnesses were not reported and we were free to leave cabin, even though I told her we were not yet symptom free for 24 hours.  We did not leave cabin until eventual nurse visit and clearance.

6 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

. It still will not protect you , should someone cough in your face in the elevator, but at least we can try to protect ourselves as best we can.

I dont think you can catch noro from a cough?   

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Some on board are still not satisfied. 

What do they expect? Free cruises for life?  They were “made whole “ by getting a full refund and a hotel for the 1 night that was not expected.

some people are just plain greedy and are a word that is unacceptable here.

We are still celebrating out on the balcony avoiding others.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That's just gross that people would do that. I would think people would want the space for storing things other than  dirty clothes. We have never used a drawer for dirty clothing. We have a laundry bag that we use and it stays in the closet on the floor. 

Agree, that's disgusting and shows no regard for anyone but themselves.  Our dirty laundry goes into a bag and placed back in the luggage.