Anytime dining question

treinke

Will be on island princess in June. My dh and I picked anytime dining. I know that the more you cruise with a line and the better cabin you have usually gets you a better table in traditional dining. Do they do that with anytime dining? This is our first cruise on princess (we have done cruises before) and have a balcony this cruise. I know we should make a reservation the first night for our whole cruise but I don't want to get stuck in a bad spot and we prefer to dine just the two of us. We've had terrible tables before but lucked out last time because we were cruising with longtime cruisers who got an awesome table after we complained about our first table (they had 5 of us at a 4 top).

I really don`t think it matters who you are as to what table you end up with, especially on anytime dining. If you want to stick with the same table for two you will have to dine early or late. They tend not to keep tables during the busy times.

My recommendation would be to try to get into Traditional Dining. We loved anytime dining when it first started and never endured long waits.

However, since Princess has recently taken one of the two Anytime Dining Rooms and turned it into Traditional DIning for the first 2 -3 hours, the wait at the one remaining Anytime Dining Room has skyrocketed... maybe it is different on the Island Princess but I don't think so.

Anytime Dining has turned into a farce as we have seen on our last two cruises. We are switching to traditional Dining for future cruises.

Agreed, Anytime dining is a problem (lines and waits before 8pm) when they reserve 1 of the 2 Anytime dining rooms for Traditional 1st seating.

If they did not have the new early traditional seating, all those people would be lined up with you for anytime when it opens as they obviously prefer to dine early.

With 2/3rds or more passengers assigned to anytime, there will be waits if a large number of these passengers decide to eat at the same time.

If there are 900 people who like to eat early and who are signed up for anytime, even two anytime dining rooms cannot hold them all at the same time.

If on a cruise only 700 like to dine early, then two anytime dining rooms will suffice at that time.

My recommendation would be to try to get into Traditional Dining. We loved anytime dining when it first started and never endured long waits.

However, since Princess has recently taken one of the two Anytime Dining Rooms and turned it into Traditional DIning for the first 2 -3 hours, the wait at the one remaining Anytime Dining Room has skyrocketed... maybe it is different on the Island Princess but I don't think so.

Anytime Dining has turned into a farce as we have seen on our last two cruises. We are switching to traditional Dining for future cruises.

The Island only has two Main Dining Rooms - one for Traditional & one for Anytime so I don't think the same problem can occur. Can anyone speak to issues that might be specific to the Island and Coral?

I'll be on the Island to Alaska in May and because of the times in port will probably not eat in Main Dining Room at least two of the nights - so decided on Anytime Dining. We generally eat later rather than early so am hoping that we will have short or no wait for formal nights and other 2 or 3 nights that we eat in the Main Dining Room.

It really depends on the crowd and the policies of the Maitre'D at that time and whether you are willing to share. Formal nights are most likely to have waits, people seem to take longer to eat on those evenings.

The Island only has two Main Dining Rooms - one for Traditional & one for Anytime so I don't think the same problem can occur. Can anyone speak to issues that might be specific to the Island and Coral?

I'll be on the Island to Alaska in May and because of the times in port will probably not eat in Main Dining Room at least two of the nights - so decided on Anytime Dining. We generally eat later rather than early so am hoping that we will have short or no wait for formal nights and other 2 or 3 nights that we eat in the Main Dining Room.

Will be on island princess in June. My dh and I picked anytime dining. I know that the more you cruise with a line and the better cabin you have usually gets you a better table in traditional dining. Do they do that with anytime dining? This is our first cruise on princess (we have done cruises before) and have a balcony this cruise. I know we should make a reservation the first night for our whole cruise but I don't want to get stuck in a bad spot and we prefer to dine just the two of us. We've had terrible tables before but lucked out last time because we were cruising with longtime cruisers who got an awesome table after we complained about our first table (they had 5 of us at a 4 top).
There is no correlation between table location and either cabin type or repeat passenger loyalty level. If you happen to be booked in a full suite, you have priority when making a reservation in Anytime dining and that's it. Whether you're in a full suite or inside cabin is irrelevant when it comes to table assignment in Traditional dining.

Some Maitre d's will allow you to make a reservation in Anytime for the whole cruise, others just for the day. Some will allow you to make a reservation anytime the dining room is open, others will allow reservations only before 6pm and after 8pm. Everything is up to the Maitre d'.

If you're unhappy with your table, you can ask the Maitre d' to be moved. Again, it has nothing to do with cabin type or past passenger loyalty level. If your companions told you otherwise, hmm... I think they were putting you on or taking credit for what anyone is entitled to. At least with regards to Princess.

I was on The Island in Sept. 2011 and we had traditional late dining(8pm) and the D.R. was empty,we loved it.:) Our friends had Anytime dining and they said they typically had to wait for a table(1/2hr to 45min.) I don't think they ever made a reservation though.

I love traditional dining for the very reason of not waiting, I don't want to wait.

I have done both traditional(lots) and Anytime(once).

It is up to you that is why Princess has choices.:)

What is the last possible time you can be seated to eat? If the MDR's close at say 10pm (is it 10pm?) then is that the latest you can get seated or do they stop seating at say 9pm to allow time for everyone to be finished by 10 or 10.30pm?

Thanks!

I made a mistake booking Anytime on Sea Princess, also only one DR.

The waits each night were loooong. It was partially, but not totally, due to an half witted HW who wasted time wandering the DR looking for empty seats. He didn't seem to realize Princess provided adequate staff to do that for him. it was the same experience both peak and nonpeak hours.

I have just returned from a cruise on the Island Princess and I can confirm that they do not appear to have the same problem with the extra dining time. They only have two traditional dining times and two dining rooms. One for traditional and one for anytime. If you want to dine at the same time each night, they might allow you to make a reservations for the whole cruise. (some people did this) Of course if you do not make a reservation and dine at different times you will not likely have the same table each night. For our cruise it was less crowded later. It is not a two level dining room. Two different dining rooms on deck 6 and deck 5 (the anytime dining room)

Enjoy your cruise.

just got off the Island. Part of the Anytime Dining Room was used fro Traditional Dining overflow. I thought that was a little invasive on those who wanted Anytime Dining. It did create problems with lines as I often saw tables with only one or two couples sitting at them eating. I asked one and that is when I learned they were part of the overflow. they said they had not seen their table mates except for the first night. I noticed their table was never totally full for the rest of the 10 day cruise but their were lines of people waiting for seats.

Princess really needs to get a handle on this ongoing problem and get it straightened out. Every time they do something different it causes problems for another group. They should know how many Traditional Dining room seats are available and when those are done put all others on a wait list. They should also not allow any reservations in the Anytime Dining Room so all tables would be available for those wishing to utilize the Anytime Dining program.

And once they have it set forth they should insist it be followed on all ships at all times so that it would be consistent and take it out of the crews hands.

just got off the Island. Part of the Anytime Dining Room was used fro Traditional Dining overflow. I thought that was a little invasive on those who wanted Anytime Dining. It did create problems with lines as I often saw tables with only one or two couples sitting at them eating. I asked one and that is when I learned they were part of the overflow. they said they had not seen their table mates except for the first night. I noticed their table was never totally full for the rest of the 10 day cruise but their were lines of people waiting for seats.

Princess really needs to get a handle on this ongoing problem and get it straightened out. Every time they do something different it causes problems for another group. They should know how many Traditional Dining room seats are available and when those are done put all others on a wait list. They should also not allow any reservations in the Anytime Dining Room so all tables would be available for those wishing to utilize the Anytime Dining program.

And once they have it set forth they should insist it be followed on all ships at all times so that it would be consistent and take it out of the crews hands.

Totally agree with you but their philsophy is strange. We encountered major problems with AT dining on the Ruby last year. Discussion with the Matre d indicated that "anytime" is "anytime they have something available." Every evening there were long lines unless you had a reservation. We finally gave in and got one for the remainder of the trip.

I still don't see the purpose in making reservations.....sometimes people don't show up as we saw many empty tables while people were waiting to be seated. Perhaps those tables were being held for a little later time, but it results in empty tables instead of people just filling in as they arrive.

They don't seem to be too interested in changing anything tho. I can tell you there were lots of unhappy people on our cruise.

I so agree with you. What is the purpose of "Anytime Dining" if you

ask for standing reservations? :confused: Am I missing something here?

On a recent cruise I heard a group near us (TD room) say if they didn't want to dine in the TD room - they would just sachet over to Anytime Dining. That is just wrong. :( That's what screws things up. We used to choose ATD and got tired of the long waits. Now choose TD. If we miss our dinner time we go to Horizon Court.

Archived