Royal Princess design: badly solsticized

cruisetrail

Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.

• I do NOT like this.
    • I like this.

All that doesn't mean that doing away with the wonderful aft pool area will make the Royal a "better" ship, any more than adding a water slide and costumed cartoon characters would.

None of that means I'm canceling my Royal TA unless circumstances dictate, but from what I can see of the Royal, I'd choose a different ship for a warm-weather sailing like the Caribbean, where I'd prefer to spend my time sitting on the Promenade deck watching the water go by than in the onboard TV studio watching the Wake Show.

Re: Cartoon Characters - please don't give Princess any ideas. As for the choice between the Promenade and being inside, amen brother.

I agree. It would be boring. I am sick of the Grand class design - it went on way too long. All of these ships look a like.

Too bad they didn't make more Coral class ships. Or taken that and added some of the new features in this ship to that design. Oh well.

Agree! The Coral and Island are my favorites... by far.

I agree. It would be boring. I am sick of the Grand class design - it went on way too long. All of these ships look a like.

Too bad they didn't make more Coral class ships. Or taken that and added some of the new features in this ship to that design. Oh well.

You might say that is what Princess did. True, there is no wrap around covered Promenade deck but:

• Those ships have no Skywalkers
  • There is no aft pool unless you pay for the Sanctuary
  • There is only one outdoor pool area
  • They have public areas such Explorers Lounge on the Fiesta Deck to reduce crowding on the Promenade deck while the Royal has public area such as Club 6, Alfredo's, Bellini's and Sabatini's on the Fiesta and Plaza decks to accomplish the same.

The Coral/Island have some nice features but they do not have some of the newer features and due to their design probably never will. The Royal will be much larger but have a number of new features that may (or may not) become new favorites. The Grand class design was probably at the end of it's life. This may be a good move or not but we will need to wait for the final product.

That does not mean all people rate the solstice class ship highly. Been on the Eclipse and Equinox. I did a week on the Eclipse and a week on the Ruby, back to back. We are elite on both Princess and Celebrity. Comparing the two back to back, enjoyed the Ruby more. At lot of hype on Celebrity - even in Aqua class, with Blu.

For those who love solstice good for them. Not our cup of tea .

To each his own....

I would never pick a grand class ship over a Solstice class ship for any reason other than itinerary.

700 more people and a smaller ship, yep sounds fun to me. We used to be big Princess cheerleaders, then the product started to go downhill, and Princess really (for a lack of a better term) screwed us out of two FCC's and we will be very hard pressed to go back. IMO overall for the value we love the Aqua class and the blu better than anything that Princess can provide to date.

The only reason we will go back is we have a $500 credit from our credit card points and its not something we want to go to waste. But, to be honest I am not looking forward to the rock hard beds.

To each his own....

I would never pick a grand class ship over a Solstice class ship for any reason other than itinerary.

700 more people and a smaller ship, yep sounds fun to me. We used to be big Princess cheerleaders, then the product started to go downhill, and Princess really (for a lack of a better term) screwed us out of two FCC's and we will be very hard pressed to go back. IMO overall for the value we love the Aqua class and the blu better than anything that Princess can provide to date.

The only reason we will go back is we have a $500 credit from our credit card points and its not something we want to go to waste. But, to be honest I am not looking forward to the rock hard beds.

But then... this thread is about the Royal Princess, which will hold 800 more passengers than the Solstice-class ships and will be about 20,000 GT bigger. :rolleyes:

To each his own....

Agree 100%

I hate to hear this. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I want a cruise ship to look and feel like a cruise ship.

I sailed on the Celebrity Solstice one time and found it akin to sailing in an Ikea store. The overall design was cold and unwelcoming. We had a stateroom on the stern and awoke to a fine layer of soot on our balcony every morning. The lawn was a lot of wasted space and it was roped off and "resting" most of our voyage. I was glad when the cruise was over.

I also sailed on the NCL's Prison Ship Epic one time as well and will not repeat that mistake. Worst designed cabins and ship I've ever had the misfortune to sail on. To tell you how bad it is, NCL has scrapped the design of the prison-cell cabins on their next ships. Another cruise I was glad when it was over.

It's what happens when the artsy fartsy designers get to sit at the big table and everyone else is afraid to shout out that the emperor has no clothes.

We learned to take a better look at the ship design and try to visualize life on board. Now we don't book ships like Solstice, The Epic, The Oasis, the Allure etc. They may work for some, but for me I want a ship that looks like a ship, a promenade where I can stroll all the way around the ship and smell the ocean and maybe even see some sea life, a shady deck where I can read a good book, fresh brewed coffee, venues where I don't have to wear earplugs because some twenty-something has cranked the volume up to 10, an MDR where people dress like they are going out for fine dining and not a truck stop, a comfortable/functional/clean cabin, and stairs forward, mid-ship, and aft.

I love the way you think!

We have sailed on the Island and Coral and like them, but like the Sapphire and Diamond even more. The Sapphire with its new upgrades is definitely my favorite Princess ship up to now. I am anxious to see if my preference changes after sailing on the Royal next year.

I hate to hear this. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I want a cruise ship to look and feel like a cruise ship.

I sailed on the Celebrity Solstice one time and found it akin to sailing in an Ikea store. The overall design was cold and unwelcoming. We had a stateroom on the stern and awoke to a fine layer of soot on our balcony every morning. The lawn was a lot of wasted space and it was roped off and "resting" most of our voyage. I was glad when the cruise was over.

I also sailed on the NCL's Prison Ship Epic one time as well and will not repeat that mistake. Worst designed cabins and ship I've ever had the misfortune to sail on. To tell you how bad it is, NCL has scrapped the design of the prison-cell cabins on their next ships. Another cruise I was glad when it was over.

It's what happens when the artsy fartsy designers get to sit at the big table and everyone else is afraid to shout out that the emperor has no clothes.

We learned to take a better look at the ship design and try to visualize life on board. Now we don't book ships like Solstice, The Epic, The Oasis, the Allure etc. They may work for some, but for me I want a ship that looks like a ship, a promenade where I can stroll all the way around the ship and smell the ocean and maybe even see some sea life, a shady deck where I can read a good book, fresh brewed coffee, venues where I don't have to wear earplugs because some twenty-something has cranked the volume up to 10, an MDR where people dress like they are going out for fine dining and not a truck stop, a comfortable/functional/clean cabin, and stairs forward, mid-ship, and aft.

There is currently a rich guy out there somewhere who's having the Chinese build a replica of the Titantic... this might please you. It could be a wonderful throwback to the golden age of sailing... sailing not cruising. Big difference. But, will people dress any better on the replica than they do on Solstice or the Epic? I don't think so. Will the music be loud? Probably. Why? Because it is what the people want. Even the older generation, which I am a part of, grew up with noisy music and less structured manners and lives.

This whole business about liking or not liking a ship is the same as liking or not liking what is on prime time TV. TV is big money and the networks aren't going to put anything on TV that the public hasn't demanded. Give the public what they demand and they will watch, their advertisers will get a great big audience and the networks can charge exorbitant fees for the advertising.

I think we are fooling ourselves if we think that at some table, somewhere in the bowels of the Princess Think Tank, designers are just designing what they want for the heck of it. Nope, I believe they are designing what the cruising public has asked for and demanded in an effort to fill the ever growing fleet with paying customers.

My wife and I will be on the Royal's First Transatlantic cruise. I will like it. It would have to be really, really bad for me not to like it. I will find some things I prefer and others that they can keep. Everything we deal with we deal with subjectively. What some say is the greatest meal they ever had, others will say it isn't fit for a pig sty. But, isn't it wonderful... we have a choice, sail on her or don't sail on her.

I will like the cruise because I just love to cruise. To paraphrase, "the worst day cruising is better than the best day at work." I guess I just don't understand why some folks get so worked up over what the ship has or hasn't got, how it's shaped, etc. I would have got all worked up if I hadn't got a ticket to ride.

Cheers,

Dave and The Swamp Princess

No, you are not old-fashioned.

You just have a taste of class.

I want a ship that looks like a ship, a promenade where I can stroll all the way around the ship and smell the ocean and maybe even see some sea life

This is never old-fashioned. This is natural like a smile or morning hello.

This is what cruising is.

I am looking at the new Princess flagship design.

Aft pool with terraces has gone.

Wrap-around promenade has been ruined.

Kyphotic stern with exposed balconies appeared.

Lack of pool deck space.

Cabanas for rent grow like poison mushrooms.

Still not clear what has happened to the forward observation deck.

It appears that a beautiful Princess ship has been solsticized.

Crudely solsticized.

At this time the Royal Princess does not look much better than Celebrity Solstice class ships (less grass lawns).

Too pessimistic?

Royal Princess renderings

Royal Princess deck plans

My DW and I both are not happy with the new design, but some people might like. We think we will stay with some of the older ships, that we are use to and like. Who knows in the future though.

There is currently a rich guy out there somewhere who's having the Chinese build a replica of the Titantic... this might please you. It could be a wonderful throwback to the golden age of sailing... sailing not cruising. Big difference. But, will people dress any better on the replica than they do on Solstice or the Epic? I don't think so. Will the music be loud? Probably. Why? Because it is what the people want. Even the older generation, which I am a part of, grew up with noisy music and less structured manners and lives.

This whole business about liking or not liking a ship is the same as liking or not liking what is on prime time TV. TV is big money and the networks aren't going to put anything on TV that the public hasn't demanded. Give the public what they demand and they will watch, their advertisers will get a great big audience and the networks can charge exorbitant fees for the advertising.

I think we are fooling ourselves if we think that at some table, somewhere in the bowels of the Princess Think Tank, designers are just designing what they want for the heck of it. Nope, I believe they are designing what the cruising public has asked for and demanded in an effort to fill the ever growing fleet with paying customers.

My wife and I will be on the Royal's First Transatlantic cruise. I will like it. It would have to be really, really bad for me not to like it. I will find some things I prefer and others that they can keep. Everything we deal with we deal with subjectively. What some say is the greatest meal they ever had, others will say it isn't fit for a pig sty. But, isn't it wonderful... we have a choice, sail on her or don't sail on her.

I will like the cruise because I just love to cruise. To paraphrase, "the worst day cruising is better than the best day at work." I guess I just don't understand why some folks get so worked up over what the ship has or hasn't got, how it's shaped, etc. I would have got all worked up if I hadn't got a ticket to ride.

Cheers,

Dave and The Swamp Princess

Amen.

So since everyone here is so worried about the royal being a solstice class, the solstice class is actually far nicer than the Royal:

Solstice has a huge forward facing observation lounge

Solstice has two forward outdoor viewing decks

Solstice has an indoor glass enclosed pool

Solstice does not have for fee cabanas by the pool (silhouette has some on the grass area)

Solstice has blu

Solstice has "solstice deck" which is no fee

Soltice carries less passengers

So maybe don't compare to Solstice when solstice actually has many of the things you are all complaining about

So since everyone here is so worried about the royal being a solstice class, the solstice class is actually far nicer than the Royal:

Solstice does not have for fee cabanas by the pool (silhouette has some on the grass area)

Solstice has blu

So maybe don't compare to Solstice when solstice actually has many of the things you are all complaining about

I believe that this is the OP's point...:rolleyes:

The point is Pricness would be so happy if they created a series of ships as successful as solstice, solstice is a far nicer ship

Successful? define Successful? Is that why Reflection has just had a massive price reduction for her inaugral sailing and Royal has been sold out for months? we must have a different definition of "Success" :rolleyes:

Successful? define Successful? Is that why Reflection has just had a massive price reduction for her inaugral sailing and Royal has been sold out for months? we must have a different definition of "Success" :rolleyes:

Measurement of Success.

Success for a passenger is a memorable cruise; for a cruise line, success is the bottom line. A cruise passenger measures personal success for a cruise based on getting a good fare, cabin quality and maintenance, food quality, entertainment options, and the list goes on. I think we all know that. In terms of cruise line success, you can build the "best" ship in the world, but if it is not profitable it is something less than a success.

Uhm, there are 5 solstice class ships that have consistently won many awards and one royal princess. I define success with all the awards and high per diems these ships get. Sorry, your feedback does not hold water

Uhm, there are 5 solstice class ships that have consistently won many awards and one royal princess. I define success with all the awards and high per diems these ships get. Sorry, your feedback does not hold water

She's not even built yet for heavens sake

The point is Pricness would be so happy if they created a series of ships as successful as solstice, solstice is a far nicer ship

She's not even built yet for heavens sake

Exactly... talk about comparing apples to oranges that haven't even blossomed yet. :rolleyes::p

Solstice has blu

So I should first reiterate that I'm not a big fan of Royal Princess 3 (or is this 4?) - while I think Princess has done some nice things with the interiors, the exterior of the ship is lacking in my opinion.

But to say the Solstice ships are better than any Princess ship is to express one's opinion, not fact. I've never sailed Celebrity and while I'll not say I never will, I really don't plan on trying it or its Solstice ships. That's my preference and Princess is designing Royal with a nod to what it's customers like about Princess. Not what they like about Celebrity.

The fact that Royal Princess has a Solstice profile is what makes it disappointing.

So I should first reiterate that I'm not a big fan of Royal Princess 3 (or is this 4?) - while I think Princess has done some nice things with the interiors, the exterior of the ship is lacking in my opinion.

But to say the Solstice ships are better than any Princess ship is to express one's opinion, not fact. I've never sailed Celebrity and while I'll not say I never will, I really don't plan on trying it or its Solstice ships. That's my preference and Princess is designing Royal with a nod to what it's customers like about Princess. Not what they like about Celebrity.

The fact that Royal Princess has a Solstice profile is what makes it disappointing.

It is interesting to read this tread... it is amazing to me how many folks are fans of the Celebrity solstice style ships, I have cruised on them more than once, so that is why I am so amazed. Twice was enough for me. A lot of hype.

I just got a brochure from Celebrity, with sales on all of them, so they are not filling that easily.

Now for the new Royal, I do feel it is more than the exterior that is lacking.. will wait for reviews. I hope the Royal offers more than hype.

Archived