Royal Princess design: badly solsticized

cruisetrail

Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.

• I do NOT like this.
    • I like this.

It's the difference between seeing the glass half empty, or seeing the glass half full. You are obviously a 'glass half empty' sort of person.

And I'll make you a deal. I don't sail until December, final payment due just after mid-September. If the first month or two of actual reviews from revenue passengers sailing on Royal Princess come back as negative as you have been about the entire ship, I'll be the very first person on the phone to Princess Cruises to cancel my cruise. I'll even come back to this very thread and publicly admit that you were right. How's that?

And no, I'm not in the Royal Princess promotional department. Just a guy who sees the 'glass half full'. ;)

I seldom agree with that other poster, but in this case, I'm gonna take her side. This thread is the place where those of us loyal to Princess (unlike you, who've stated you don't care for the line overall) are indicating our concern with what little we know to date about one new ship, and perhaps what it portends for the future. We are entitled to do so unmolested, just as you are entitled to have a thread about your anticipation. Why you feel the need to come over here and chastise us for our views, when we've exercised self-restraint on your thread, is a mystery to me.

You said in your other thread you were taking the weekend off. Good; perhaps by Tuesday, you'll have forgotten this thread exists and we can be left alone to continue our happy nitpicking of the new ship. Buh-bye.

Point taken. And thanks for being civilized about it as well. I'll take leave all of you good folks so that you can continue to express your concerns on the future new-builds of Priness Cruises without further commentary from me. I do hope that these two new ships won't deter anyone from giving up on the rest of the fleet, which I hope will be sailing well into 2020 and beyond.

Fair winds and following seas :D

Have been looking at the other cruise lines newer ships on the web.

The only line having wrap around promenade decks seems to be Cunard.

Think it is a question with the other lines including Princess is getting more passengers on board to keep pricing at an even level and in turn making more finacial gains which is good for the shareholders.

It appears to me that one has to either go right to the top of the house and bare the elements hot sun or high winds in a exposed area to either jog or walk.

Gone are the days when one went to sea for a relaxing few mile walk/jog on the wonderful promenade deck....The real feeling of being out on the ocean...

I am fortunate that I live by the Ocean and in the good weather I do my few miles walking along the ocean paths .

At sea one also visits different Ports of Call which is an added enjoyment.

In a review of the Oasis, someone mentioned that unless you have an outside cabin, or go on the top deck, you'd never know you were on water. Good description of a ship without Promenade or public outside viewing decks.

That's a very good description. We were on the Allure a year ago and while our balcony was overlooking the Aqua Theatre, I felt like I was staying at some shopping mall/ condo project. It was the only cruise that we've been on that didn't feel like a cruise.

The promenade is where the jogging track is. It has solid steel ceiling, floor and one wall while the other wall is covered by lifeboats so it feels like a steel wind tunnel.

Interesting thread.

I booked the Celebrity Solstice for her maiden Alaska sailing in May. Once I took a really good look at the deck plans, I realized there wasn't much of a promenade deck, which for Alaska is a must. Sure, you can stand outside on the upper decks, but for wildlife viewing, being close to the water is imperative. Needless to say, I canceled that one and booked the Golden. Can't wait to stand at the bow of the Emerald Deck as we cruise Tracy Arm Fjord.

Even though we always book balconies, we spend a lot of time on the promenade deck on all of our cruises. Sad to think they're becoming a thing of the past...

Interesting thread.

I booked the Celebrity Solstice for her maiden Alaska sailing in May. Once I took a really good look at the deck plans, I realized there wasn't much of a promenade deck, which for Alaska is a must. Sure, you can stand outside on the upper decks, but for wildlife viewing, being close to the water is imperative. Needless to say, I canceled that one and booked the Golden. Can't wait to stand at the bow of the Emerald Deck as we cruise Tracy Arm Fjord.

Even though we always book balconies, we spend a lot of time on the promenade deck on all of our cruises. Sad to think they're becoming a thing of the past...

The older ships with their lovely promenade deck will be around for several more years to come.

After cruising several times with HAL, Celebrity, RCI and a few others we tried Princess. Got on the Star.. didn't like the big ship, didn't like Anytime dining.......but after a few days kinda got it figured out and loved the Cruise and Anytime dining Went on Princess 12 more times staight and loved them all. Ended up on the Solstice and before we got on it I thought the Lawn Club was the dumbest thing that I had ever heard of. Now I love it. We fell in love and pretty much stayed with that class of ship. That being said we cant wait to try the Royal and see what it has to offer. We now book inside cabins on these ships because there are so many great places to hang out that we found out we wasted money on balconys that we hardly ever used. Spend our money on Specialty Dining and other nice things on board. Try things first and then tell us if you like it or not!

After cruising several times with HAL, Celebrity, RCI and a few others we tried Princess. Got on the Star.. didn't like the big ship, didn't like Anytime dining.......but after a few days kinda got it figured out and loved the Cruise and Anytime dining Went on Princess 12 more times staight and loved them all. Ended up on the Solstice and before we got on it I thought the Lawn Club was the dumbest thing that I had ever heard of. Now I love it. We fell in love and pretty much stayed with that class of ship. That being said we cant wait to try the Royal and see what it has to offer. We now book inside cabins on these ships because there are so many great places to hang out that we found out we wasted money on balconys that we hardly ever used. Spend our money on Specialty Dining and other nice things on board. Try things first and then tell us if you like it or not!

It depends on a perons own preference.

On this thread we have been talking about the lack of a promenade deck.

What is your personal view about this?

Royal Princess design: badly solsticized

I am looking at the new Princess flagship design.

Aft pool with terraces has gone.

Wrap-around promenade has been ruined.

Kyphotic stern with exposed balconies appeared.

Lack of pool deck space.

Cabanas for rent grow like poison mushrooms.

Still not clear what has happened to the forward observation deck.

It appears that a beautiful Princess ship has been solsticized.

Crudely solsticized.

At this time the Royal Princess does not look much better than Celebrity Solstice class ships (less grass lawns).

Too pessimistic?

This how the Thread Started (Above)

depends on a perons own preference.

On this thread we have been talking about the lack of a promenade deck.

What is your personal view about this?

I guess it doesn't really matter to me. Untill i really see the ship I really would not know if I liked it or not.

I guess what I am trying to say is try it first then we would know.

The best Princess ships for Alaska cruising are the Island Princess and the Coral Princess. They don't pollute the air as much as other ships and cruise way back into Glacier Bay.

Been to GB many times. You haven't lived 'til you've been in there in a small boat! We chose the Golden because we're in the Seattle area.

I find it humorous that this entire thread is about being solsticized as a bad thing. The Solstice Class is one of the most successful modern ship designs ever created, and no doubt Royal Caribbean/Celebrity are flattered that other lines are trying to copy them. NCL's new Breakaway Class also has many Solstice Class traits, and frankly looking at the deck plans I would say a superior layout compared to RP. Having sailed on the Solstice Class, I can say without hesitation they are pretty awesome ships and I would not hesitate to sail on any of them again.

The problem with RP is that the design seems to have included the worst aspects of the Solstice Class ships, but very few of the positives.

The main negatives with the Solstice Class are a lack of a proper promenade deck and also that deck space can be at a premium. I fully suspect RP will have these same negatives, but perhaps on an even greater scale.

The positives of the Solstice Class (and there are many) that the RP seems to lack include:

- beautiful forward facing observation lounge

- incredible eclectic decor that is truly stunning at every turn

- small intimate spaces for relaxing, reading, people watching

- having the gym and spa adjacent to each other and in a prominent location with great views

- a thermal suite with floor to ceiling windows and gorgeous views

- a stunning multi-level atrium with glass ceiling spanning the entire height of the ship

- outdoor dining options like the Lawn Grill and The Porch

- a glass covered spa pool perfect in good and bad weather

- three pools (RP really only has two as one is only a splash pool)

- Aqua Class staterooms that include entry to the spa and their own unique restaurant

- varied dining options that are truly evening dining events

Anyway I plan to sail on RP because I like to try out all new ship designs when possible. For me personally, the two biggest drawbacks of RP are the lack of pools and deck space (2 pools for 3700 pax), and the fact that the fitness center and spa are located many decks apart. After a work-out I enjoy using the spa (thermal suite or sauna/steam) and I prefer not having to trek several decks from one to the other. Also I like having the thermal suite and sauna/steam with windows to the sea which RP will not have. In addition on RP the fitness center is directly next to the kids center. Not sure if this is very smart planning as the kids may end up in the fitness center playing on the equipment. I've seen this before on ships where the fitness center is no where near the kids center, so I don't know how that will play out being so close.

We may find in reality that there really will be no deck space or pool crowding issues with RP, as we won't know for certain until the ship is in service. Right now we can only speculate based on the deck plans, what we know about her passenger capacity, and past cruise experience. Based on that I would say deck space will be at a premium and the two pools will be crowded but time will tell.

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...
Have been looking at the other cruise lines newer ships on the web.

The only line having wrap around promenade decks seems to be Cunard.

Not only Cunard.

All best cruise ships currently in operation feature wrap-around promenades, front observation decks, separate open pools for adults, etc.

HAL Signature class ships, Princess Grand Class, Royal Caribbean (Freedom Class and higher).

Some ships offer a sort of significant promenades (like U-shape).

Just a few designes from MSC, NCL and Celebrity have no promenade at all.

I find it humorous that this entire thread is about being solsticized as a bad thing. The Solstice Class is one of the most successful modern ship designs ever created, and no doubt Royal Caribbean/Celebrity are flattered that other lines are trying to copy them. NCL's new Breakaway Class also has many Solstice Class traits, and frankly looking at the deck plans I would say a superior layout compared to RP. Having sailed on the Solstice Class, I can say without hesitation they are pretty awesome ships and I would not hesitate to sail on any of them again.

The problem with RP is that the design seems to have included the worst aspects of the Solstice Class ships, but very few of the positives.

The main negatives with the Solstice Class are a lack of a proper promenade deck and also that deck space can be at a premium. I fully suspect RP will have these same negatives, but perhaps on an even greater scale.

The positives of the Solstice Class (and there are many) that the RP seems to lack include:

- having the gym and spa adjacent to each other and in a prominent location with great views

- a stunning multi-level atrium with glass ceiling spanning the entire height of the ship

- Aqua Class staterooms that include entry to the spa and their own unique restaurant

Anyway I plan to sail on RP because I like to try out all new ship designs when possible. For me personally, the two biggest drawbacks of RP are the lack of pools and deck space (2 pools for 3700 pax), and the fact that the fitness center and spa are located many decks apart. After a work-out I enjoy using the spa (thermal suite or sauna/steam) and I prefer not having to trek several decks from one to the other. Also I like having the thermal suite and sauna/steam with windows to the sea which RP will not have. In addition on RP the fitness center is directly next to the kids center. Not sure if this is very smart planning as the kids may end up in the fitness center playing on the equipment. I've seen this before on ships where the fitness center is no where near the kids center, so I don't know how that will play out being so close.

We may find in reality that there really will be no deck space or pool crowding issues with RP, as we won't know for certain until the ship is in service. Right now we can only speculate based on the deck plans, what we know about her passenger capacity, and past cruise experience. Based on that I would say deck space will be at a premium and the two pools will be crowded but time will tell.

Ernie

Well said Ernie.

We love the solstice class and are also looking forward to getting on royal or regal.

All best cruise ships currently in operation feature wrap-around promenades, front observation decks, separate open pools for adults, etc.

HAL Signature class ships, Princess Grand Class, Royal Caribbean (Freedom Class and higher).

Some ships offer a sort of significant promenades (like U-shape).

Just a few designes from MSC, NCL and Celebrity have no promenade at all.

Shouldn't this be prefaced with "in my opinion"?

The main negatives with the Solstice Class are a lack of a proper promenade deck and also that deck space can be at a premium. I fully suspect RP will have these same negatives, but perhaps on an

Ernie

agree 100%. I'm sure Princess has their fingers crossed that Royal is as successful as any of the solstice class ships

We love the solstice class and are also looking forward to getting on royal or regal.

I would love the Solstice class too but these ships are lacking key features that classy ships must have and that I prefer the most.

The Solstice class has

- no promenade deck

- no separate open pool for adults

- no spacious serene sun decks

- no hydropool in spa

- The Reflection has been "improved" to the point of a loss of an open front observation deck:eek:

- Service wise - no proper afternoon tea

Needless to remind that many balconies are awkwardly located: lifeboats, struts, overhangs.

Many of more expensive cabines are placed under public decks, kitchens, buffet.

Where Soltice class shines: stunning (although not functional) atrium & Grand Foyer, and Specialty Restaurants.

Good for upscale "cruise and booze", but not enough for a true cruise ship experience.

Interesting thread.

I have been on the Equinox (Mediterranean) and Eclipse (Carribbean), I can tell you - you made the right decision. We tried the Eclipse, after the Equinox because I wanted to try BLU, the speciality restaurant on X. Cruised the Eclipse one week and the Ruby the next. Ruby won out. It is like being in a tunnel on these new X ships on the promenade deck, very disappointing. I don't think I will cruise the new Royal. I'm with you, we enjoy our balcony and the promenade deck on most ships. I guess we will stay on the older ships.

agree 100%. I'm sure Princess has their fingers crossed that Royal is as successful as any of the solstice class ships

How do you define success though? are they pretty? Sure. But Celebrity is blowing out the prices, offering Free Drink Packages, Free Gratuities, Free OBC. Last month was buying gift certificates and matching the price. That doesn't sound very successful to me. I think they're hurting to fill them.

How do you define success though? are they pretty? Sure. But Celebrity is blowing out the prices, offering Free Drink Packages, Free Gratuities, Free OBC. Last month was buying gift certificates and matching the price. That doesn't sound very successful to me. I think they're hurting to fill them.

Youare incorrect, my sailing for an AQ cabin is 1999pp, for 10 nights. I just booked a friend the same week on Crown Princess for significantly less in a comparable balcony (per diem) The 123 program on Celebrity also carries with it some high cruise fares. Sadly princess needs to offer rock bottom pricing to fill their existing ships. I hope princess finds some identity with the regal, princess has become a bland line lost in the crowd of mid tier cruise lines.

Last year sailed the Grand followed by Eclipse, you couldn't pay me to sail the grand again. Sail the Eclipse again? In a heartbeat

Archived