Two people, 3 airline seats?????

heatescapee

Unless the flight is less than two hours he's going to eventually need to use the bathroom so that is kind of an unrealistic expectation, unless he is hooked up to a catheter ;)

One reason I like the aisle is that each time someone needs to get up, I get to walk up and down the plane as well which makes my knee feel better. I am supposed to get up every hour since my surgery but that isn't always doable.

I recall going from Detroit to LA in 2006 for a cruise. We had exit row seats. I sat down at 230pm Detroit time as one of the first on the plane, and because of deicing and then strong headwinds, it was 630pm LA time when I finally got up out of my window seat. That's 7 hours. Sure, when I got inside, I had to do the proverbial race horse thing lol. Read a little, listened to music, napped a bit. I know lots of people that would be content to prop themselves up against the window/wall and not be bothered or bother anyone for almost any continental flight. And if the window isn't available, the middle is the next best bet.

I recall going from Detroit to LA in 2006 for a cruise. We had exit row seats. I sat down at 230pm Detroit time as one of the first on the plane, and because of deicing and then strong headwinds, it was 630pm LA time when I finally got up out of my window seat. That's 7 hours. Sure, when I got inside, I had to do the proverbial race horse thing lol. Read a little, listened to music, napped a bit. I know lots of people that would be content to prop themselves up against the window/wall and not be bothered or bother anyone for almost any continental flight. And if the window isn't available, the middle is the next best bet.

People who maintain a proper level of hydration need to urinate every two hours. It is bad for your bladder and kidneys to "hold it."

Either way you were not respecting your body. It is not a contest.

People who maintain a proper level of hydration need to urinate every two hours. It is bad for your bladder and kidneys to "hold it."

Not to mention the dreaded UTI.... of course, men may not have that worry ;)

Well, anyway, now that the thread has gone even more off kilter, I'll just say not everything is as cut and dried as some like to make it. I didn't say it was a majority of people who would choose middle over aisle, or even a lot of people. I'm just disputing the idea that no one in their right mind would choose a middle over an aisle and gave but one example why someone would. No need to argue that.

I will say though, back to sort of the topic that was started seemingly a half decade ago, that if people are looking for 3 seats for 2 people, and one happens to be a larger person, like me, give Southwest a look if they happen to work in to your travel plans.

And you know a new bottle was opened how?

Thinking you're just a little over the top now?

Yep....it's so they don't have to think and actually consider circumstances. Which is why kids get suspended from school for violating drug policy because they gave a friend a Midol.

I work in a school and medication is required to be prescribed by a doctor (whether OTC or prescription) so that the nurse is aware of what students are taking. I personally have had a bad reaction to Midol and no longer take it. If an ambulance needs to be called the nurse needs to let the EMTs know what meds have been taken. Parents may come into the school to give their children meds without a scrip but no one from school may do so. Rules are generally there for a reason but that doesn't mean we will get to know that reason. And yes, ambulances come to our building at least every 2 weeks.

So I just booked seats on Transavia from RAK to AMS for DH and me. When I went to select seats I tried to book him on an aisle as he likely will need to visit the facilities and me the window because I like looking out the window -- not because I think there is a chance the middle seat will remain empty. Anyway, online it would ONLY let me book seats next to one another. I suppose I could have booked each of our flights separately and then we could have had the aisle and window but for a short flight I decided one of us would compromise (DH[emoji4]) and booked us together. I usually book Star Alliance seats on United's website and have never experienced seat selection restriction there.

I wish more airlines would do this.

As long as the party doesn't mind a stranger sitting in between them, who is anyone to say they must sit together?

There may be legitimate reasons two in a party need to sit this way.....for example I have to have a left-side aisle for my knee. If there are no seat configurations allowing us to sit together, we simply don't.

Besides, if there are no consecutive seats, then what? Should the couple not be allowed to fly on the same plane ;)

That would be so easy to get around. Two people flying together would simply make two separate bookings.

Exactly. I would book separately. Or choose a different carrier. Most likely the latter. Of course now we are back to the concept that most have difficulty with, best is not synonymous with lowest cost.

FWIW, unless there is some overriding reason, Mrs FT is always on her own ticket/PNR. Exceptions are when we use the AS companion fare and on some foreign carriers where it's so tough to book one ticket online, we just just put two names on one reservation.

Besides, if there is only one upgrade that clears, and you have two names on the reservation, they will skip you by rather than just give one.

That would be so easy to get around. Two people flying together would simply make two separate bookings.

Some might. I bet most wouldn't.

Besides, if there are no consecutive seats, then what? Should the couple not be allowed to fly on the same plane ;)

Of course they should be allowed to fly. This would only be to prevent leaving an empty middle seat between them.

Apparently, no one else agrees with me on this, but I just find it very frustrating when you go to choose seats, and all that's left is a bunch of middle seats. I wonder how many of them are because of couples who were hoping for an empty seat?

Besides, if there is only one upgrade that clears, and you have two names on the reservation, they will skip you by rather than just give one.

And exactly how does such a traveling party decide who gets to stay in coach and who moves up front? :o

... I just find it very frustrating when you go to choose seats, and all that's left is a bunch of middle seats.
That's part and parcel of travelling with airlines that allow everyone to choose their seats for free at the time of booking!

< ducks >

Of course they should be allowed to fly. This would only be to prevent leaving an empty middle seat between them.

Apparently, no one else agrees with me on this, but I just find it very frustrating when you go to choose seats, and all that's left is a bunch of middle seats. I wonder how many of them are because of couples who were hoping for an empty seat?

Very few, would be my guess. DH and I prefer aisles across from one another, and I would be extremely annoyed if one of use were forced into a middle seat instead.

Very few, would be my guess. DH and I prefer aisles across from one another, and I would be extremely annoyed if one of use were forced into a middle seat instead.

I think adjoining aisle seats should be allowed. It's the aisle/window with empty seat in the middle that I have a problem with. Honestly, it's selfish when people book that way.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I just find it very frustrating when you go to choose seats, and all that's left is a bunch of middle seats. I wonder how many of them are because of couples who were hoping for an empty seat?

So they should be penalized because they booked early and you waited til the last minute? Or because they chose to spend money (in some cases) to choose preferred seats in advance and you didn't want to do that? :rolleyes:

You want a window or an aisle, or a window/middle or aisle/middle combo, book earlier, pay the preferred seat fees, or whatever. I really don't get why others should have to adjust their preferences based on what YOU happen to prefer.

It's the aisle/window with empty seat in the middle that I have a problem with. Honestly, it's selfish when people book that way.

I really don't see the difference between Mr and Ms Couple booking the aisle and window, and the next two random people individually booking an aisle and then a window. There could be a matter of minutes between the two random bookings as opposed to the couple booking simultaneously.

Aisles and windows book faster, whether by couples or individuals. Would it make you feel better if the couple pretended they were single, booked individually five minutes apart as if they weren't traveling together? What the heck is the difference? :confused:

I'm guessing that the majority are solo flyers who prefer an aisle or window. My husband and I fly more alone than with each other by at least 4:1. I know many other couples who do as well. I am still not seeing the problem. You have the option of booking the seats you prefer just like anyone else. Either book your flights earlier or if applicable, pay to,pre-select seats.

I think adjoining aisle seats should be allowed. It's the aisle/window with empty seat in the middle that I have a problem with. Honestly, it's selfish when people book that way.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

No more so than hogging aisle seats or any other things that people do because they want to sit where they prefer to sit.

I flew with a relative on a long-distance flight. She wanted a window and I definitely did not want a middle seat so I booked an aisle in the same row. The person in the middle offered to change with one of us, but neither of us wanted to. It was not with the intention of possibly having an extra seat, though I do that sometimes.

When traveling alone, I often try to find a row of three seats where the aisle is already taken and the window/middle are still available. I book the window. Sometimes the middle seat stays free, sometimes not. The early booker gets the choice of seats, especially if not an elite flyer where some seats are blocked.

It's the aisle/window with empty seat in the middle that I have a problem with. Honestly, it's selfish when people book that way.
Leave aside the question of whether we could possibly know how many of these people are couples travelling together, and how many are simply solo passengers who don't book the middle seat because it's less desirable.

The other part of your problem is why you only see middle seats when you're looking. What is it about the way you book air travel that leads to that? And is there something you can change to avoid that?

The worst part of the window/aisle book comes when you are trying to find seats on a last-minute business trip. I was the victim of this last month. Nothing left but a couple of middles, literally under 5 seats left on a 739! Company wouldn't even pay for Comfort + Ugh...