Ensenada Bus to San Diego - Your Experiences

MAXII

Would you Bus it from Ensenada to San Diego?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Would you Bus it from Ensenada to San Diego?

• Yes - I Have Done This Trip Before
    • Yes - Though I Have Never Done This Trip
    • No - I Have Done This Trip Before
    • No - Though I have not Done This Trip Before

For our Century Hawaii to Ensenada cruise Eddie had to get off in Ensenada because X decided to end the cruise there. IMO X didnt want to provide a San Diego disembarkation the same day for the few paxs who embarked in Australia as they had to disembark most passengers in Ensenada. It was a timing issue for X and not a PVSA issue for anyone who embarked in Sydney or before.

Not quite...although we embarked in New Zealand, that leg was from NZ to Perth AU. The next (back to back) was Perth to Sydney. Followed by the next (back to back) Sydney to Honolulu (where all passengers entered the US and cleared US Cusoms and Immigration. And then finally, the next and last (back to back) was from Honolulu to Ensenada. As far a US law is concerned, we had entered the US in Honolulu as did everyone-guests and crew. Therefor, the last leg embarked in Honolulu and could not disembark in another US port...San Diego. Disembarking in Ensenada Mexico was a measure to comply with US regulations, not for the cruise line's convenience.

Eddie M

Eddie,then why is the reverse not possible according to PVSA regulations. One is not allowed to take a coastal cruise from LA to Vancouver, BC, Canada followed by doing an immediate on the same ship one way to and re-entering the US on an Alaska cruise that ends in Anchorage. Technically the second cruise is transporting you from Vancouver and you are re-entering in the first Alaskan port.

Yes, you did enter the US in Honolulu but according to the PVSA one on the previous cruise was transported by Princess from Sydney not Honolulu. Why didn't the crew have to get off in Ensenada? It's because they have embarked in and visited distant foreign ports. It's considered one long cruise for them according to the PSVA.

The same PVSA regulations applies to air trip and foreign airlines can drop off foreign embarking passengers to two different US location on the same flight but can't transport a new passenger directly between the two US location.

Eddie,then why is the reverse not possible according to PVSA regulations. One is not allowed to take a coastal cruise from LA to Vancouver, BC, Canada followed by doing an immediate on the same ship one way to and re-entering the US on an Alaska cruise that ends in Anchorage. Technically the second cruise is transporting you from Vancouver and you are re-entering in the first Alaskan port.

Yes, you did enter the US in Honolulu but according to the PVSA one on the previous cruise was transported by Princess from Sydney not Honolulu. Why didn't the crew have to get off in Ensenada? It's because they have embarked in and visited distant foreign ports. It's considered one long cruise for them according to the PSVA.

The same PVSA regulations applies to air trip and foreign airlines can drop off foreign embarking passengers to two different US location on the same flight but can't transport a new passenger directly between the two US location.

I believe the Passenger Vessel Services Act only applies to PASSENGERS, not crew. I think the crew is covered under the Jones Act. Also, the ship must visit a "distant foreign port" if it is to embark in one US city and disembark in another. If I remember correctly, this is defined as a port over 2000 miles away from US. This is the exact law: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trade/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/pvsa_icp.ctt/pvsa_icp.pdf. Also, according to reading it, it only applies to ships, not planes.

• 1 month later...

Whoa am I confused.!!! A travel agent in Australia is marketing a B2B2B Solstice cruise from Honolulu to Alaska- ending in Seattle. The cruise would go Honolulu, Ensenada/ Ensenada. Seattel/ Seattle- Alaska return. I am really interested in this cruise but am afraid it will not be possible under the Jones PVSA Act. I am Australian and would like to use a US agent rather than the Australian one. What happens if you break the Jones Act and does it apply to non US citizens. We have nothing remotely like it in Australia. Jennie

Mexico is awful.....and often dangerous. I have many friends who have done the Ensenada to San Diego transfer.. ......and regretted it. Everyone missed their flights. It took hours to clear the border. Unless you plan to stay in San Diego after the cruise, you should make other plans. Mexico is a place that I will not go. Look at the United States government advisory for travel in Mexico.

I believe that if you call the Celebrity website, they will indicate that you cannot take this cruise. If I remember correctly the penalty for violating the PSVA (it is not the Jones Act) is $350 per passenger. I would not take the chance on booking without talking to the Celebrity website, since who knows if they would accept you even if you wanted to pay the penalty....maybe you would be turned away at the port and not allowed to board????

I don't see why that cruise schedule would be a problem. Don't look at just the starting and ending points. Hawaii to Mexico, one way is ok. Mexico to Seattle is ok. Do you mean that the final cruise is round-trip in and out of Seattle? That's ok. The three combined should work, ninasmum.

The cruise would be in violation of the PSVA act, which basically says they can't transport you from one US port to anothe runless they went to a foreign distant port and Ensenada is not one of them. Aruba and Curacao are but they are in the Atlantic. Even though the cruises are booked separately it is still considered going from one US port to another as you are embarking in Honolulu and disembarking in Seattle.

There was discussion about this on the Roll Calls for those cruises a few months ago.

If you look on these boards, many people have been turned away by Celebrity for this same b2b. The PSVA states that a ship cannot leave one US port (in this case Hawaii) and disembark people in another US port without visiting a DISTANT foreign port in between. Ensenada does not qualify as a distant foreign port.

Thanks for your replies I am not impressed- but not surprised that this combination of cruises is being marketed in Australia. Looking for othe options. Can I take the Millenium cruise to Alaksa out of Vancouver and then go on to San Diego. I could then hop on the Hawaii cruise the next day. . Jennie

I did some investigation into taking the exact same route. Embarking in Honolulu, and taking a B2B, and then ending in Seattle. The issues are complicated. Even though the initial cruise debarks in Ensenada, the passengers would have to take the bus BACK to San Diego, and then back again to Ensenada to embark for the cruise to Seattle. Now here's the unknown. Immigration could "possibly" deny passage back into Mexico, due the Jones Act and/or Passengers Vessel Act. I couldn't get a clear cut answer from Celebrity, and my TA tried to research it also, and came up with some concrete.

So we decided to NOT take the the cruises.

Until new legislation is introduced to favor passengers wanting to travel these routes, all of us that would enjoy traveling, are at the mercy of the present antiquated laws.

Thanks for your replies I am not impressed- but not surprised that this combination of cruises is being marketed in Australia. Looking for othe options. Can I take the Millenium cruise to Alaksa out of Vancouver and then go on to San Diego. I could then hop on the Hawaii cruise the next day. . Jennie

Now this COULD be an option...if Vancouver is considered a "distant port".

That would be ok if you since you are embarking in Vancouver, which is a non US port.

On the orgininal cruise you were looking at if you embarked in Sydney and then did all the other legs of the b2b's that would be ok. There are quite a few folks doing that.

Hi. I rang Celebrity Australia re the Hawaii/Ensenada Ensenada/Seattle back to back and they say there system is allowing them to book it and that it would block it if it wasn't allowed. I asked them to email me confirmation in writing that it would be OK. They said they would get it form the US. I wait.... Jennie

Hi. I rang Celebrity Australia re the Hawaii/Ensenada Ensenada/Seattle back to back and they say there system is allowing them to book it and that it would block it if it wasn't allowed. I asked them to email me confirmation in writing that it would be OK. They said they would get it form the US. I wait.... Jennie

I hope that the information is correct, but be prepared to be asked to disembark in Ensenada, and POSSIBLY take the bus ride to San Diego. It's really up to the immigration people to decide. As I previously mentioned in a post, I did some checking, and Celebrity couldn't give me a clear answer to the same question. I wish you luck.

I would be really careful. That's a completely illegal cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

when I was finishing an Alaska Cruise Tour I talked to the future cruise agent.

You can take the Millenium down to San Diego (be careful, it may well be disembarking in Ensenada) and board the Solstice the next day for Hawaii.

The reasoning is thus: you are not violating any portion of the original Jones Act which was instituted to prevent Foreign Carriers from competing with US carriers in transporting goods between US ports. With the PSVA extension to cover all passenger traffic it explains why you can't take a B2B (foreign carrier between two US ports - Seattle-Hono since effectively Ensenada is San Diego) but you can travel Vancouver to Ensenada (foreign to foreign) on one ship followed by Foreign to US on a different ship (and on a different day).

It also explains why I can't take Lufthansa between San Francisco and New York, instead having to take a United leg prior to heading home to Germany on a flight plan with two legs.

The real concern is dealing with Ensenada two days running. Leaving the Millenium one day and returning to the Solstice the next. I am considering doing it anyway.....

The Millenium embarks in Vancouver and disembarks in San Diego. Has no need to go to Ensenada.

But the trip to Ensenada would have nothing to do with the Millennium.

Proseknitic would need to go to Ensenada to board the Solstice a day later.

The net result should be gaining a nice extra port day in San Diego, most likely with Celebrity comping the cost of a San Diego hotel room for the night between the 2 segments of the B2B.

X picks up the cost of the ride from San Diego down to Ensenada also.

If I were in that situation, I would certainly go for it if I wanted the extra cruise down the west coast and the overnight in San Diego.

Otherwise, I would just look for a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii.

But the trip to Ensenada would have nothing to do with the Millennium.

Proseknitic would need to go to Ensenada to board the Solstice a day later.

The net result should be gaining a nice extra port day in San Diego, most likely with Celebrity comping the cost of a San Diego hotel room for the night between the 2 segments of the B2B.

X picks up the cost of the ride from San Diego down to Ensenada also.

If I were in that situation, I would certainly go for it if I wanted the extra cruise down the west coast and the overnight in San Diego.

Otherwise, I would just look for a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii.

yes, exactly. my apologies for not being clearer - blame on 9 hours time zone changes and reading/writing way too many posts.

Since my dates are fixed by when the Solstice leaves Ensenada, I don't think the Century cruise is an option for me. Right now the Millennium 9 day is more expensive than the last of my B2B but that could change. (or I could find a traveling partner to bring the costs down. Traveling solo is fine, but it does cost)

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for clarifying...makes good sense to avoid Ensenada if a there's a better choice.

Talk about repealing 'the law' has appeal until one realizes that 'the law' was meant to protect American jobs. Perhaps our greatest loss if repealed, would be the fierce competion from foreign carriers carrying cargo and passengers (including air) from US port/airport to another US PORT. Can't imagine China allowing western world carriers to fly freely between Chinese cities.

You raise an excellent point. Not to get into political details that would spawn inappropriate discussion, but many laws/bills being discussed as a part of our upcoming US elections sound one way on their face, but may actually have very, very different ramifications than one would expect. Important thing to consider when deciding who/which to support.

A few years ago, our 2nd cruise was from Honolulu to Ensenada on the Infinity, with transport to San Diego.

Hawaii was simply great, but exhausting, the trans-Pacific sea days let us rest. Then, the fun started

We had to be up at 5am in Ensenada, and off the ship by 7am. The buses were OK nothing special, When we got to the border, we could see a lot of folks lugging all of their luggage going toward customs. Fortunately, by the time we got off, they were sealing the luggage compartments, so we just had our carry-ons to deal with

So, off the bus, and stand in the rain for 2.5 hours as the line inched forward. We finally got though customs, walked about 1/2 mile to the bus

So, we get back on the bus for transport to the airport, and, as we were approaching, tied up at the pier was the Infinity. I don't think I was ever so mad in my life, and swore I would never do any cruise like this again. I didn't care about the reason for it, It just ruined a great cruise, and this episode, and not the actual cruise, is what I will always remember

If I see a question abotu this on the boards, I always reply "Don't do it". Things may have improved, but, I wouldn't count on it

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Our cruise is not until sept 2013, But I just began reading posts of similar cruises. Now I am very concerned regarding our departure in Mexico and whether we are going to have problems/issues getting to the airport to fly back home. We are not doing a B2B and I travel via wheelchair. Any help or suggestions at where I can find more information would be appreciated. Thank you Bob and Jackie

Read the posts by Eddies Toys, he used to drive buses through the border & he knows whats what.

On our transfer, we had 3 people in wheel chairs, they were allowed to stay on the bus as it went through the border, with their helper. An agent got on to the bus to look at their documentation.

Archived