TSA locks

Those of you that have TSA locks, do you have the ones where you set the combination to open them, or the ones with the key? I am wondering which type is best...
I use the combination lock. My friend uses TSA locks with keys and she's always looking for them. They're tiny and can get lost very easily. I always carry an extra TSA lock for "just in case." I've had locks opened by the TSA and lost; I use one on my carry-on when I put it above my seat for a long flight, etc.

Just remember they are only to be used in North America and I'm not even sure if they are approved here in Canada. In Australia, one was cut off one of our bags but the shop where we bought it replaced it free of charge.

Just remember they are only to be used in North America and I'm not even sure if they are approved here in Canada. In Australia, one was cut off one of our bags but the shop where we bought it replaced it free of charge.

We have used them in Canada. They are "approved" as much there as all other locks are.

In the USA, the locks are "TSA approved" just because TSA has keys to open them instead of cutting your lock off to look inside.

If other countries do not have the keys, they will cut off your lock (TSA or not) if they need to look inside just as TSA will do if you use a non-TSA lock.

Thanks for the info.....going to Alaska, so we won't have to worry about that....

Wow.....almost $7 for one combination one at our Walmart.....I'm wanting 4 of these.....is there a better place to get them, perhaps in a multi-pack? I'm going to check amazon.

That's a good price. They were $10 when they first came out.

Those locks are worthless IMHO I use a large 10" colored ziptie. Sure it can be cut off just like the TSA locks. If someone wants it they'll take it anyway, lock or not. Locks have never worked with crooks. Zipties cost pennies to use and will slow someone down about as long as a TSA lock would. You will know when you see your bag if someone been in it.

framer

And to put the confusion even more upfront. I like the Lewis N. Clark TSA Lock with the keycard. (size of a credit card or your sign and sail card.) Swipe the card and the lock opens. Actually has a couple of holes in a specific area that makes the lock open. The holes are on both sides and can be attached to a lanyard.

I have the same TSA combination locks that came with my suitcases, have been using them for several years now, probably the last 10 or more cruises. We have not had one cut or tampered with. Perhaps luck?

The keyed locks stay home, too much trouble keeping track of the keys. I tried the same key on 2 different locks, same brand, they didn't work. You have to have the right key for the lock. They were Lewis & Clark locks.

If you look on your TSA lock there is a number on it for the key they should use.

Our son just returned from an extended stay in Atlanta (work) and had to buy another piece of luggage for his return. Since it was a hard sided case, he took brightly colored tape to use as a name tag and also did the zip tie thing. A twist he did was to put a note on the outside of the bag asking TSA to "Please replace the ziptie with ones on the inside". He then taped a few, different colored, zipties inside the lid of the bag. Sure enough the bag came off the luggage carousel with a different color zipte and a note.

The TSA locks are avaliable lots of places including Walmart, Target, Walgreens drug store, Lowes, Home Depot. I have found them to be $6-$7 each although they were more expensive when they first were introduced.

It's not a law that you HAVE to use TSA locks....any lock will be fine. Personally, I don't want anyone to be able to open my things....with my own lock, they will either need to call me, or cut the lock off....either way, I'll know if someone has gone thru my things!

We just buy Master keyed locks....you can get packs with multiple locks and the same key opens all of the locks in that pack!

I've stopped using locks of any description.

But I have started to use tags which seal the zip so that it can't be opened or closed by any means -fair or foul without you noticing they have been tampered with.

Has worked out as had cases opened ( possibly by TSA but no note) indicators showed they had been opened as I got them off carousel. The padlocks that I had used as well were intact.

Able to report to airport staff prior to leaving that bags had been tampered with. They checked with me that nothing had been removed or added.

There are ways that a thief can get into your luggage with out touching

your locks. I seen a video on it. They simply use a pen! You would never know after they were done that it had been tampered with. The invasions happen after your luggage leaves your sight on check in. What are we to do? When yocomplain to the Airlines they tell you that it is not their fault but the airport baggage handlers. My thought on this is: The whole time your luggage is travelling through the "under world" of the airport there needs to be cameras on those employees who come in contact with your luggage! Luggage theft is bigger than you know. We have had no problem now that we use the TSA locks, but we are heading

off to the South Pacific and Australia and by all reports they will be cut off it needed! Guess we will be using the ties that you suggets.

There are ways that a thief can get into your luggage with out touching

your locks. I seen a video on it. They simply use a pen! You would never know after they were done that it had been tampered with. The invasions happen after your luggage leaves your sight on check in. What are we to do? When yocomplain to the Airlines they tell you that it is not their fault but the airport baggage handlers. My thought on this is: The whole time your luggage is travelling through the "under world" of the airport there needs to be cameras on those employees who come in contact with your luggage! Luggage theft is bigger than you know. We have had no problem now that we use the TSA locks, but we are heading

off to the South Pacific and Australia and by all reports they will be cut off it needed! Guess we will be using the ties that you suggets.

Yes but they have to slide the zipper to close it afterwards - with the tags I use the zipper can't be moved without interfering with the tag - so you know that they have opened the case.

Archived