RCCL-If you are reading please stop giving me a gift of a silly basket of nothing

To quote Dr. Suess:

I do not like the hats,

I do not like the frames,

I do not like the nuts or fruit or some of their silly games

But I do like the sun,

I do like the sea,

And I do like the way RCI answers it royally

The ships are luscious,

The food delicious,

So don’t be a hater,

Let RCI cater

The sea is calling,

So quit your balling

Enjoy your cruise,

Each and every one of you!

:p:D

Too cute..

On our last Med. cruise, a fellow CC'r suggested we bring along granola bars for the long port days. It seemed like a good idea, so we made room for 2 boxes in our luggage. We ate 1 bar the entire 14 days! Would you believe that we brought all the leftover bars back home? lol So, we will welcome a package of dried fruit and nuts, plus a bag of cookies to take along to a port where we know we will be gone all day. Will save toting those bars again. :D

We will be sailing on our first Diamond cruise out of Barcelona this fall. So, as Diamonds, what will we have to look forward to in our gift basket?

Edited by Iamthesea

Maybe RCI should have the option to sign up for this gift rather than have someone like the OP waste it.

I happen to like it. We fly to and from many of our ports of embarkation and those snacks come in handy on some flights that don't offer anything substantial to eat. The fruit and nuts come in handy to throw into a backpack for the hikes we like to do in some ports.

I bet OP is in the minority on this. The food basket comes in handier than another hat or fanny pack - although I liked those type of gifts, too, if they would change them more often and be a bit more creative. We sort of had that at the D+ level until they started removing options in favor of more wine.

To throw it in the bin is RUDE and thoughtless IMO. There are plenty of people around the ship who would appreciate it. Give it away.

Gina

We love getting the little basket. We eat pretty much everything in there. Plus since we are D+, we also get 2 free beers. I would much rather have this than another baseball hat!:o

I love the little blue bin it comes in. While on the ship I put it next to my bed to hold the little things I keep by my bed. The last cruise we were on I brought it home with me and now use it to hold reading glasses, pens, stickies by my reading chair. Wish it came with 2 bags of cookies and 2 bags of trail mix so we each could enjoy them. But we give the little gift a thumbs up.

• 1 year later...
We appreciate the gesture (although yes, it is a small one). What I do find wasteful is the packaging. The box and confetti paper inside are tossed and not reused (recycled maybe but not reused). Perhaps they can come up with packaging that is less wasteful.

My favorite all time C&A gift was the tote bag. We bring it on every cruise as our beach bag. Love it!

We agree - love our beach bags! We have enjoyed many Royal gifts, but the beach bags are the best. Our first one is still in such good shape, we have the other one put away for the future.

We're only Diamond, so we just get the cookies and the candies in our Welcome Aboard gift, but it is the kind of small but special touch that starts a cruise off with a smile. The chocolate plate with the strawberries later in the week also brings us a smile and feeling of being welcomed.

On my recent cruise, Navigator of the Sea, the diamond members had a good laugh about the silly gift that is delivered to our state room as a gift.

The concensus was please do not give it to us we simply all placed it in the bin!!!

Next time ask your cabin attendant if they want it. That is what we do and they always take it off our hands.

After all; waste not, want not.

I love the little snacks! I wake up in the middle of the night hungry, and look for things to nibble on without having to call room service or wander out somewhere.

Sometimes a sweet biscuit or some nuts or dried fruit is perfectly satisfying. I for one (or two) absolutely appreciate them!

Yet another old resurrected thread.

Edited by Coralc

WOW... It is a gift... just a small token -- but a gift. You don't pay for it... you don't even have to like what is given. But someone decided it was a nice gift. In kind, all you really have to do is say thank you. Isn't it the thought that counts?

Most people probably don't have a lot of trouble responding to gifts because all it really takes is a smile and a "thank you." Here's a suggestion for the ones you don't like:

Like it or not, we all receive a gift once and a while that we don't like, doesn't fit our personality, or that we already own. Psychology Today has a simple solution: respond to the "spirit of the gift" instead of the gift itself.

And... what is it like at your house on your birthday? Would you just toss an unwanted or un-liked gift in the bin, in front of the giver? Or would you smile and say thank you? I hope you have better manners... and I hope on future cruises the gift does not cause you such anguish.

Edited by LindaO

Tonight while packing for my next cruise I checked the content of my handy trifold toiletry bag given to me on Explorer of the Seas in 2003 or 2004. I realized it has been my standard travel toiletry bag for every trip I've taken anywhere for the past decade.

Sure beats a 2oz bag of chemical cookies. (though I admit to finding them way after a cruise in some pocket of a bag, and then enjoying them)

Perhaps there is a practical limit to the amount of toiletry bags I need, one good quality one seems fine, but I do find a useful quality gift more appealing than a snack. I also find the amount of waste from those baskets excessive. Perhaps rci could give two bottle coozies, one with the dried fruit, one w the cookies. A much more useful wrapper.

I'm downright shocked a notepad and pen has not become a Diamond gift amenity instead of the cookies. Pen prices must be way up. Lol.

I would not care if they gave me no small gift honestly. I'd prefer the token cost be reinvested in higher quality experiences for everyone.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

WOW... It is a gift... just a small token -- but a gift. You don't pay for it... you don't even have to like what is given. But someone decided it was a nice gift. In kind, all you really have to do is say thank you. Isn't it the thought that counts?

Beautiful, thank you. You speak for me as well.

This is a 2 year old thread and people are still complaining about something that was taken away 2 years ago! :eek:

Agreed. Someone bumped it today and now we're posting on it again. This thread is 2 years old and 10 pages long and most of those are complaints. Very sad.

What's wrong with bumping a thread; a topic is a topic is a topic. If a topic gets repeated people are told to search. If they search and revive a topic they are told to leave it dead:confused:

Mine certainly wasn't a complaint, just a notation and what my preference would be. Why does RCI give cheap cookies instead of toiletry bags, umbrellas, tote / beach bags? Because people are plenty happy with cookies. No need to give more.

The value of a quality long term durable item is far greater than a single use snack, IMO. It's one of those things people who have started cruising in the last 5 years or so may not realize the difference on at all.

Seriously? This is what someone has time to grouse about? Seriously, I am actually wasting my time replying to the post? What the heck.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

No doubt people really are scraping the bottom of the barrel for things to complain about. Woe is me I've been on so many cruises all these gifts are just piling up. :p

Hu must suck to get to many gift basket and trinkets , that's like complaining that the suite I'm in is to big , and I won a cruise at the bingo game but it's only 7 nights.........can u believe it #firstworldproblems

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app