When was the last time the menu changed?

When was the last time the menu of the ships got an overall and totally re-done?

I realize the expense and time consumption of changing out menus, I am not complaining about the food or selections but just wondering how often they change.

Hmmmmm....been cruising since 1999 and I don't recall any major menu changes.

However, that does not bother me. When at home I go to Chili's, Applebees, etc. and they don't change their entire menu. I'm a creature of habit. I love knowing what I like on the ships and the consistency in which it comes.

My first cruise was 6 years ago and I don't recall anything changing too much. Theme nights were definitely the same.

My first cruise, a 7 day was also 6 years ago. Back then there was a Caribbean night and I only got to try one dish, but it was removed from the menu before my next 7 day cruise in 2008.

Also all of my cruises have been Caribbean ones, have the Med or Alaska menues change? I did have two new (to me) items on my Jewel menu last April.

When was the last time the menu of the ships got an overall and totally re-done?

I realize the expense and time consumption of changing out menus, I am not complaining about the food or selections but just wondering how often they change.

I cruise 2-3 times a year since 2000. I've notice changes starting few years ago. Now I hear there is a escargo shortage so that's not on the menu

Here is the latest menu for a 7-day cruise: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31678265&postcount=4

Actual nights might vary, especially nights 3-6. There are also "everyday" items like steak and chicken.

Hmmmm...Day 1 is "Slow-Roasted Prime Rib." Day 6 is "Slow-Roasted Aged Prime Rib". I wonder -- Is it aged for 5 days? ;)

One change I did not like: On a 7-day cruise lamb is only served one night now. They dropped the lamb chops.

Another change is lunch -- I miss the BBQ ribs they used to serve several years ago.

This was a question asked on a galley tour we did, the executive chef said one of the reasons it is difficult to make major changes is due to the high numbers of repeat customers who, while very loyal, are appalled when changes occur. For example, he said he couldn't imagine the uproar if honey stung chicken or vidalia onion tart were dropped!:D

Sherri:)

We have started going to the Windjammer as well as the speciality restaurants on board. The MDR food has dropped in quality as well as the menus not changing. I would love for them to put some dishes on the menu to have something to look forward to.

Thanks Jimnbigd for the link to a 7-night menu. We are going on Explorer in October for 7-night Bermuda trip and I couldn't remember the specific items on our last 7-night cruise. Is it pretty safe to say that formal nights will remain the second and sixth night?

This was a question asked on a galley tour we did, the executive chef said one of the reasons it is difficult to make major changes is due to the high numbers of repeat customers who, while very loyal, are appalled when changes occur. For example, he said he couldn't imagine the uproar if honey stung chicken or vidalia onion tart were dropped!:D

Sherri:)

I liked the onion tart when it had the fried onions on top. now it's different and I think it taste different

I can only hope RCCL doesn't follow CCL in the redesign of their menu. I recently looked at RCCL 7 day menus and they are vastly superior to CCL. CCL has comfort food, garbage in my opinion, I mean who goes on a cruise to eat meatloaf, fried chicken and mac & cheese. I just returned from the Carnival Dream and was completely displeased with the slop that was served in both the MDR and buffet.

Haven't cruised RCCL since 2004, but we are booked on the EOS to Bermuda in OCT. I don't think the food could be any worse than what we just experienced.

Do they give menu info ahead of time or do we just find out what night is what the night of the cruise? It has been nice to find out they offer steak & chicken alternatives nightly. What about other appetizers and/or plain salads? Are different than the daily appetizers available?

Off dinner topic but I'm interested because of dinner--how soon do we find out about entertainment? I'm curious because our dinner is set for 8:30 p.m. so I'm wondering if each show is still available at a earlier/later time.

They offer the same show twice every night. For early dinner, the show is after dinner. For late dinner, the show is before dinner.

The exception to that can be the Welcome Aboard show on the first night. One two cruises I've been on its only held once and its right after the first dining and if your in the 2nd seating its a rush to get to dinner afterward.

Archived