Will I make my 8:20am,flight?

Oh my goodness - are you flying to Canada? Vancouver, maybe?

Personally, I would never book a flight from my disembarkation port city before, say 11:30 or noon. There are way too many things beyond your control that could go wrong. Any delays concerning the port area itself, customs/immigration officers, fog (weather in general), etc. You know what I'm saying. I would never do it.

You can make the 8:20 flight the next day.

Nothing personal, but booking the 8:20 the day you arrive is crazy. Even without some reading here, where you would see the Immigration process at San Diego can be extremely slow, you got to know docking at 6am doesn't mean getting off anywhere near 6am.

You are nervous? No kidding!!!

You can make the 8:20 flight the next day.

Nothing personal, but booking the 8:20 the day you arrive is crazy. Even without some reading here, where you would see the Immigration process at San Diego can be extremely slow, you got to know docking at 6am doesn't mean getting off anywhere near 6am.

You are nervous? No kidding!!!

2nd option is 9:55 am

We will be flying back to Montreal, Canada

Out of San Diego you will be lucky to make a 14:00 (2:00pm) flight. We spent over 3 hours waiting for the immg. and cust. officicals to board the ship. There were two ship in the harbour that day. The first pax were called at 10:00. No one could leave the ship until all pax and cleared immg. and cust. Because the airport is so close we made it to the airport shortly after 12:00. Good luck.

If those are your only options, stay overnight in San Diego and fly home the next day. Chances are you won't make the 9:55 flight either.

I don't think I would book that flight no matter which airport, no matter which port. As others have said, that docking time isn't guaranteed. And then there's the customs/immigration process, which the ship/cruiseline has no control over.

If there are no other flights available for that day, the next best thing is to stay overnight in San Diego. Then you can make either flight, or even earlier ones, without problem.

I live about an hour's drive from San Diego and have taken 2 cruises there. Simply put, you will not make an 820am flight. On my first cruise I was not on the street until 1130am. On a more recent cruise it was 1045am. A Canadian that I met on the cruise missed her noon flight to Vancouver and I had to run to the Amtrak depot to get on the 1030 train, which was delayed.

The problem in SD is no passengers can disembark until everyone is cleared by US Immigration on board ship. It never fails that a non-US citizen fails to show up, and "all-ship" PA pages calling them by name don't produce the passengers either. Also disembarkation in SD gets really slow when there is more than 1 ship arriving.

I'd give less than 50% odds of making the 0955 flight. As another person commented, 1400 is the earliest I'd book.

I think he's pulling our leg;)

Errr.... why would you say that? OP has been a member here for almost 3 years and has several hundred posts. I feel your comment is unfair.

OP, you will not make the 9:55 flight either. Canada is considered International and you should be at the airport and checked in at least 2 hours prior to your flight so you're talking about 8 am. You'll never make it.

Time for Plan C. :)

Nervous about booking an 8:20am flight out of San Diego

Ship docks at 6am, is the airport very far?

will I make it?, big savings if I make it..

Info appreciated

Arrival time and what time the ship is cleared and all luggage is off, etc are two different things.

You are best to not book a flight before Noon and 8:20 AM or 9:55 AM are both too early.

Keith

Thanks to all that replied, my wishful thinking got the best of me

I will be taking a 1:30 flight

Not sure why my question was deemed insincere?

I was looking at a better deal on an earlier flight and questioned more experienced cruisers from that port what they suggested..

Thanks again to all that answered, That's what this forum is all about.

I was looking at a better deal on an earlier flight and questioned more experienced cruisers from that port what they suggested..

You were wise to ask the question and you were equally wise for taking the advise to get a later flight.

Enjoy the cruise.

Keith

Nervous about booking an 8:20am flight out of San Diego

Ship docks at 6am, is the airport very far?

will I make it?, big savings if I make it..

Info appreciated

I checked Expedia. There are 2 flights leaving at 12:30pm and 1 leaving at 2:15pm. Choice of Delta, US Air, or American. My thinking is that any savings you would make on an early flight would be eaten by having to book a new one. I don't think there's a chance you'll make anything before noon. Have fun!:D

I checked Expedia. There are 2 flights leaving at 12:30pm and 1 leaving at 2:15pm. Choice of Delta, US Air, or American. My thinking is that any savings you would make on an early flight would be eaten by having to book a new one. I don't think there's a chance you'll make anything before noon. Have fun!:D

^ OP has already posted they are now taking a 1:30 flight.

I like numbers, so I'll give you a 25% chance of making your flight as a best case. But this is going to assume:

1. You don't have any bags to check.

2. You check in and print your boarding pass before hand.

3. You're arriving on a weekend (less rush-hour traffic).

4. You're flying domestic.

There are so many variables and things that could go wrong. Let us know the result.

I like numbers, so I'll give you a 25% chance of making your flight as a best case. But this is going to assume:

1. You don't have any bags to check.

2. You check in and print your boarding pass before hand.

3. You're arriving on a weekend (less rush-hour traffic).

4. You're flying domestic.

There are so many variables and things that could go wrong. Let us know the result.

On the previous page, the OP posted the post I quoted above. He/she should be okay with an afternoon flight whether traveling during the week or weekend, with or without checked luggage.

Archived