Odds of upsell offer?

VT Hokie Cruiser

Does having a third person in a cabin improve the odds of getting an upsell offer to an SY category?

We have three people in our VC cabin for a Panama Canal partial transit March 8. Occurs to me that if they price the upsell offers at X dollars per head, wouldn't a triple or quad cabin have better odds at an upsell than a double?

Thanks.

Does having a third person in a cabin improve the odds of getting an upsell offer to an SY category?

We have three people in our VC cabin for a Panama Canal partial transit March 8. Occurs to me that if they price the upsell offers at X dollars per head, wouldn't a triple or quad cabin have better odds at an upsell than a double?

Thanks.

Since the odds for getting any upsell offer are already slim, like probably less than one in twenty, I'd not think adding or having a third person helps and may even hurt your chances. What you've scratched the surface of here is the whole mystery surrounding how HAL, and probably any other cruise line I can think of, processes upgrades and upsells. Over the years there have been more threads here than I can count that have tried to figure out how the cruise line(s) make these decisions and I don't know of one that has landed absolutely for sure on the exact methodology. The only consistency seems to be inconsistency. :)

We have done 3 Hal cruises in last 2 years, we booked smaller suite each time and last 2 we got upsells to full suites with all the perks. I like booking directly with Hal so there is no middle person between me and the upsell offer. ( need to act quick for most upsells)

I can't imagine having 3 passengers would make much difference. I do believe booking through HAL makes your odds better, watching for sales after booking. If you see a better price within your booking category..VF for instance but VB goes on sale...call your PCC (even after final Payment) who can work miracles in upgrade and up sale. I went from a VF to a VA aft at no cost and was offered a SY for $75 but stayed with the aft because of the larger verandah. All of this was because the VB was on sale. It's all a game of chance and vigilance. Good Luck! Goooo Hokies!!

I would say that having a 3rd person would decrease your chances of an upsell because there's fewer choices of where you can be placed. This is why you can't book guarantees for 3 or 4 people.

None of us really KNOW but I tend to agree with you. :)

I wonder if an increased chance of an upsell would be a little opposite to your scenario.

A couple could be booked in a triple or quad and HAL upsell them to have that room for a family.

Our family which has had from 3 -5 does not get offers and I think it is because so few cabins accomodate more than 2. The suites might be different but then they might want to keep kids and the possible wear and tear out of them.

VT Hokie, it sounds like you will be sailing on the Zuiderdam in March.fortunately the Vista Class have a better chance of an upsell over Signature Class ships for some reason but in recent times those SY/SS /SZ cabins have actually become over sold and the offer for that category just do not come thru. Here is a hint after Final payment watch for the ZA category to go into a Flash Sale and see if you can pay the difference to upgrade. If you are receiving in benefits from a Travel Agent that has a group you may lose the amenities but it will assure you getting that Superior Verandah category. You may want to watch the prices but I would jump in and buy no later than 4 weeks prior and actually more like 8 weeks because I have see the SZ guarantees get over sold and the category closed early.

LAFFNVEGAS, when you say category ZA, do you mean SA?

And are you saying to check this 4 to 8 weeks prior to cruise, but after final payment?

Thanks.

No sorry I meant SZ which is the Superior Verandah Suite Rate code that HAL uses for their Flash sale because there is only two of these cabins.

We used to wonder about Upsell offers (and were jealous of others who got good upsells) until a recent Prinsendam cruise. We had paid a little over $20,000 for a long Grand Cruise which got us a Porthole cabin (we knew this particular cabin and picked it). About 6 weeks before the cruise we were offered an upsell to a large suite....for the "reasonable" price of $9,998! After calmly choking on that price info both we and our TA had a nice laugh. By the way, that particular suite was never sold for any of the segments of our cruise (they used it a few times for entertainers) so I guess nobody else was interested :)

Hank

We used to wonder about Upsell offers (and were jealous of others who got good upsells) until a recent Prinsendam cruise. We had paid a little over $20,000 for a long Grand Cruise which got us a Porthole cabin (we knew this particular cabin and picked it). About 6 weeks before the cruise we were offered an upsell to a large suite....for the "reasonable" price of $9,998! After calmly choking on that price info both we and our TA had a nice laugh. By the way, that particular suite was never sold for any of the segments of our cruise (they used it a few times for entertainers) so I guess nobody else was interested :)

Hank

Gee, hard to believe at such a reasonable price:D;).

• 3 weeks later...
We have done 3 Hal cruises in last 2 years, we booked smaller suite each time and last 2 we got upsells to full suites with all the perks. I like booking directly with Hal so there is no middle person between me and the upsell offer. ( need to act quick for most upsells)

If you don't mind me asking, how were you notified of the upsell offer? We just booked a cruise directly with HAL in hopes of getting closer to the offers.

Bill

If you don't mind me asking, how were you notified of the upsell offer? We just booked a cruise directly with HAL in hopes of getting closer to the offers.

Bill

You'll be contacted directly by HAL either by phone or email or maybe both. Booking directly with HAL seems to have little if any impact on whether or not you'll get an offer or the quality of the offer.

Booking directly with HAL seems to have little if any impact on whether or not you'll get an offer or the quality of the offer.

On the last HAL cruise I was on people that booked directly with HAL rec'd upsell offers. I almost always book with a TA and got nothing even though my TA called and asked about offers.

Hank

Well,on our cruise - the suites are completely sold out already:eek: so no one has to worry about an upsell call unless there is an unexpected cancellation:D

Archived