Cruises to Cuba

jamessemaj

Up to a year or tow ago anyway, Fred.Olsen Line (a UK line) sailed out of Barbados with regular calls at Havana. Don't know if US citizens could get off if they were on the ship. I think the ship the regularly called at Havana was the "Blackwatch"

Up to a year or tow ago anyway, Fred.Olsen Line (a UK line) sailed out of Barbados with regular calls at Havana. Don't know if US citizens could get off if they were on the ship. I think the ship the regularly called at Havana was the "Blackwatch"

Yes, and Thomson and Voyages of Discovery, and possibly other non-US niche lines, though I don't know of any recently.

This is because the US govt imposes sanctions on ships that call at Cuba - they're not permitted to then port in any US territory for a long period of time (6months? 12 months?)

Certainly US citizens go there. I think they're still not permitted to travel direct, but there's no ban on them entering Cuba. They usually go via Mexico or Jamaica.

If this thread turns into a political debate, I think I'd best keep out of it :D

JB :)

Certainly US citizens go there. I think they're still not permitted to travel direct, but there's no ban on them entering Cuba. They usually go via Mexico or Jamaica.

If this thread turns into a political debate, I think I'd best keep out of it :D

I'm not an expert - but I believe that no matter how they enter, US citizens are not legally allowed to. Just because you bypass the system doesn't mean it's okay. The people that enter through Mexico and Jamaica are doing it that way because they know that they can't legally do it otherwise. Just because the 15 YO got someone else to buy the alcohol doesn't mean they were allowed to have it kind of thing.

There are of course exceptions like a film crew or church groups that have prior government approval.

I'm not an expert - but I believe that no matter how they enter, US citizens are not legally allowed to. Just because you bypass the system doesn't mean it's okay. The people that enter through Mexico and Jamaica are doing it that way because they know that they can't legally do it otherwise. Just because the 15 YO got someone else to buy the alcohol doesn't mean they were allowed to have it kind of thing.

There are of course exceptions like a film crew or church groups that have prior government approval.

Yep, I stand corrected.:o

Though from ferretting around the 'net it is done quite openly & no-one has been prosecuted by the US govt.

As far as I know nothing prohibits U.S. citizens to visit Cuba, except treasury department edicts than ban American from spending any money there. That can be circumvented if you get a waiver by joining an authorized do-gooder group. A friend and his wife, both retired, recently visited as members of an "education" celegation. You may also circumvent the rules by going through Canada or the various Caribbean area gateways. (Cubans know not to stamp the passports of Americans; their credit cards also are not accepted so there is no paper trail).

Rules are different for Cuban refugees living in the U.S. They are entitled, under rules Obama relaxed, to send dollars to relatives and visit. There are several nonstop charter flights -- from Miami and even Baltimore's BWI.

Years ago, I decided to invest in Sherritt International, a Canadian company that plays a major role in oil exploration, mining and operating power stations in Cuba. I did so, even though I worried that IRS would hunt me down for violating the embargo. At the time, Sherritt's top executives, Canadians, were barred from visiting the U.S.

Nothing happened and I subsequently sold my stock.

Cuba may be accessed by sea on European cruiselines. At times, it is said, Havana's Hemingway Marina is full of U.S.-registered sailboats and small craft.

Many of the European lines are now owned / partially owned by American companies (Costa, Cunard, P&O, Aida, Tui Cruises) which subjects them to the American embargo on Cuba.

Here's an article on some of the German / European lines that still go:

http://www.cruisetricks.de/kuba-kreuzfahrten-deutscher-markt/

It's in German, but Google Translate will help.

Our Havana tour guide told us that a lot of Americans do visit Cuba. Nobody has their passport stamped. They slip a stamped form in the passport which must be turned in on departure.

There are direct flights to Cuba from many Canadian airports. Our local small airport has seasonal flights to Cuba but not a single one to the US without going through Montreal or Toronto. Go figure.

Canadian cash can be turned in at the resort banks for tourist pesos and changed back at the end. However you must have saved enough cash to pay the exit tax at the airport. If my memory serves me correctly it was around thirty dollars pp. That was a few years ago so who knows what it is now.

US dollar use is discouraged by the banks charging a high premium on top of the regular exchange rate.

Should congress change the rules about US citizens and Cuba and ships -- which I doubt I will see in my life time -- you can bet we would book a cruise that stops there.

So would we but, like you, not until Congress lifts its sanction against Cuba.

Thought I'd chime I with my $0.02: we were in Cuba in 2010 and there were many Americans at our resort, all of whom had flown through a Canadian gateway, usually Montreal or Toronto. There were also many Europeans.

Cayo Coco is the most beautiful beach I've ever seen, it's absolutely amazing.

Our Havana tour guide told us that a lot of Americans do visit Cuba. Nobody has their passport stamped. They slip a stamped form in the passport which must be turned in on departure.

There are direct flights to Cuba from many Canadian airports. Our local small airport has seasonal flights to Cuba but not a single one to the US without going through Montreal or Toronto. Go figure.

Canadian cash can be turned in at the resort banks for tourist pesos and changed back at the end. However you must have saved enough cash to pay the exit tax at the airport. If my memory serves me correctly it was around thirty dollars pp. That was a few years ago so who knows what it is now.

US dollar use is discouraged by the banks charging a high premium on top of the regular exchange rate.

Many US citizens have family in Cuba. Blood is pretty thick they say. Hard for me to blame them for wanting to spend time with their family as family is so important to me.

There seems to be a lot of "organized, legal trips to Cuba" lately for US citizens. I have seen them listed in TravelZoo and have received many other emails advertising as such.

In the past, I have several colleagues who have gone to Cuba for educational reasons and research for a year at at ime and have really enjoyed it.

Archived