Drinking water

GuelphGal

Dh and I are avid water drinkers. We don't need it to be bottled water, so we don't want to pay the cost for bottled water on board.

Can we bring our own water bottles and fill them up when we go for breakfast, lunch, etc? Or go up to the bar and ask them to fill it with water? Or is this tacky?

Thank you!

Yes, we refill our water bottles all the time. When we do it at the buffet, we take a clean glass, fill that, and then pour it into our water bottle. Helps prevent the spread of illnesses.

Water in cabin is often room temperature, so either add ice or put into mini-frig to cool it

Dh and I are avid water drinkers. We don't need it to be bottled water, so we don't want to pay the cost for bottled water on board.

Can we bring our own water bottles and fill them up when we go for breakfast, lunch, etc? Or go up to the bar and ask them to fill it with water? Or is this tacky?

Thank you!

yes and no. you can fill up in the privacy of your cabin from the sink or tub directly. however in public areas, you need to use a provided cup and pour there first then transfer.

Thank you!

Why go through all that trouble. The water that comes out of the faucet in your bathroom is the same as the water in the bar. Just fill your bottles in your cabin.

Thanks for all of your replies. Here I was stressing over where to get water when the solution is very simple! We have no problem drinking water from the bathroom faucet, so it is good to know we can do that in addition to filling up from glasses in the restaurant.

One week to go. Now on to the next thing I decide to stress about ;) .

I was toldnot to drink the water in the cabinonly in lido or restaurants .so i fill mine up there and take it to the cabin

Apparently it is not the same

michele

I was told by crew members

many people have said the same thing, but I always drink from the tap and have never had issues.. and we do it straight, no filter.. although you can get a water bottle with the built in filter if you are concerned or just want the taste to change.

I am also a water drinker. I did find that the water in the room was not nice. The water I got with meals was tolerable but had a bit of a stale taste. I do drink ice water occasionally when it comes that way but mostly I drink it at room tempeture. I drink a combination of tap and brita filtered water at home and keep my refilable water bottle with me most of the time, so I tend to trust myself when I think water tastes funny. Ship water tasted funny. As a rule I think you are better off going to the bar and having them use the nozzle to fill you a glass of water. They tend to be filtered while tap water is not. That's my usual travel suggestion to water drinkers. Look for any water that comes through a fountain, bar nozzle or from a drinking fountain. When all else fails a slice of lemon or any fruit really, will fix most tap water problems.

I was toldnot to drink the water in the cabinonly in lido or restaurants .so i fill mine up there and take it to the cabin

michele

Really? You are on a ship in the middle of the ocean. Do you really think there are two different sources of water for the ship?

The US Public Health Service requires that all potable water on the ship is from the same source and of the same quality.

The bar staff on many ships is famous for telling people they need to buy bottles of water rather than drinking free water from the taps in the cabins.

It is truly amazing that passengers can be dumb enough to believe stories like that.

It is even more surprising that Americans spent more money on trendy bottled water last year than they spent on gasoline.

OK - You cannot make gasoline at home. You really need to buy it from somebody else.

But tap water in most American homes is far better quality than the dreck from taps in Dallas and Atlanta, sold as expensive trendy drinking water. How dumb can people get?

The US Public Health Service requires that all potable water on the ship is from the same source and of the same quality.

The bar staff on many ships is famous for telling people they need to buy bottles of water rather than drinking free water from the taps in the cabins.

It is truly amazing that passengers can be dumb enough to believe stories like that.

It is even more surprising that Americans spent more money on trendy bottled water last year than they spent on gasoline.

OK - You cannot make gasoline at home. You really need to buy it from somebody else.

But tap water in most American homes is far better quality than the dreck from taps in Dallas and Atlanta, sold as expensive trendy drinking water. How dumb can people get?

Hopefully dumber....where else would you get all this free fodder from which to draw your endless stories, and endless tales of the mindless, clueless unwashed masses who frequent your ships and help pay your salary? I find your posts most informative and amusing....but the constant slaps and shaming does become tiresome.....

As if Americans are the only people in the world who drink bottled water. Why is it always about Americans with you? You just don't stop.

Thank you!

Hi GuelphGal,

I am not sure where people are getting the info regarding water quality on the ships, but from one Canadian to another you can take your own water bottle anywhere you want on the ship with you and fill it yourself.

Prior to one of my previous cruises I was going thru the threads on here and found that there is a water tap beside the juice/pop machine where you can fill your bottles......you can get ice there as well.

My wife and I did this all throughout our last cruise (as did many others on the ship) with no issues at all.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hubby and I are also avid water drinkers and our well water from the mountains can't be beat. However, on the ship the water was ok, I found the water in the dining room and lido tasted different from the cabin tap water. It may be that it was colder, but even with the brita filtered water bottles, the tap water was not as good.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm a big water drinker too, and I just bring several water bottles with me and refill as needed. I fill in the bathroom sink, but use ice or the fridge to cool it.

You used to be able to fill your water bottles at the taps in the Lido buffet, for instance, but that is no longer allowed on most ships we have been on recently, due to germ worries, I'm sure. So just fill and clean glass and then pour it into your bottle.

I'd buy water on the ship if it was any reasonable price, but it's not.

I'm not saying that it tastes as good as our pure and cold well water, but it's not too bad, when cold. I don't like most city (chlorinated) water either.

i was told cabin water is filtered only .wheras restaurant water is both filtered and purified

I do fill up with a glass and throw ice in my water bottles which I use every day .I try to leave a full bottle in my cabin ...ice that is holllowedout is purified as well ..that is how you can tell if it is

This is what I was told ?..and i will continue to fill up at Lido deck .anyone can choose to do the same or not

Michele

I never believed in bottled water until I moved somewhere for 6 months that had awful tasting water! For 6 months, I gladly bought water. I would buy grocery store branded gallons as opposed to the 12 oz bottled water.

I have had no problems with ship water.

michele

That is very interesting but makes little sense. Here is why. Modern cruise ships use 3 types of water onboard,,,,potable or white, grey, and black. The white is perfectly safe to drink, tested several times a day, and is what comes out of all the faucets, used as drinking water in the dining rooms and lido, comes out of the shower, etc. Grey water is used in the toilets and for washing down decks, fire fighting etc. The grey is treated but not drinkable. Black....well that is basically sewer water and on most ships it is treated and turned into grey water. The solids extracted from the black water can be disposed in various ways or is stored for disposal in ports.

So, the bottom line is that the water you get out of the lido is the same water that is coming out of your cabin faucet. I should add that this is all regulated by law and enforced by various health inspections including the US Coast Guard and various EU authorities.

Hank

Archived