Captains Circle Status, should there be a time limit?

GHDPeter

I keep reading on this discussion forum that people are platinum or elite but have not cruised with Princess within the past year or 2 or even 5 or 6.

With most other frequent traveler/guest programs there is a requirement that to retain a particular level the member needs to do something each year to maintain their status.

Should the captains circle program have a similar requirement? It might reduce the issue that some have with the high number of platinum/elite on certain cruises as well as making sure that people continue to "earn" their status.

Your thought?

I would say no limit. The top people in the airline programs are mostly people who do it for work and travel many or even most weeks. With cruising, many people can't take multiple cruises because of other responibilities. The cruise lines still want them returning.

Can I ask when replying that you include you cc level and how many cruises you took in the past 2 years with princess?

I keep seeing people post complaining at the potential dropping of perks or that there are too many elites or platinums on a cruise and that it somehow detracts from their level.

I am currently platinum, had 4 cruises in the past year, I have another 5 booked for 2013 and plan to be elite by the time my NYE 2013/2014 cruise comes around. Yes I cruise solo so I get 2 credits per cruise.

It appears that people expect Princess to maintain benefits at the status quo infornitum but they are unwilling to make the same commitment to maintaining a cruise history.

They only get the benefits of their status if they cruise so what's the problem of keeping the status if they are not using it?

No. It can take many years to achieve loyalty levels, and that should not be taken away because for one or two years you decided not to take a cruise vacation on Princess. You can't compare airlines with cruise lines, they are totally different. Cruise lines offer vacations to those wishing to get away from it all. Airlines offer transportation mostly to those traveling on business.

But it does not stop them complaining about the increased number of other High levels.

They want Princess to provide the same benefits or products and services yet are unwilling to support the company.

There is another post that triggered this discussion for me, the OP states they are Elite but have not cruised with Princess for 6 yrs, should they deserve to retain their status even though they are threatening to be disloyal by cruising on another line?

For some people, cruising is not easily come by , financially, geographically, or. with time constraints, so I fail to see how someone not on a cruise could annoy those on a cruise by their mere non presence. More power to those that can take many cruises a year but I wonder if some of those dont owe their elite-dom to a bunch of short repositioning cruises and now want to shut the door behind them. It might be more difficult for someone in the midwest or another country to do the same. I think most folks that enjoy cruising would love to do it more often should work or other responsibilities allow, in the meantime, we all like to read the oft cruisers trip reports and dream of our next cruise, whenever it may be.

GHDPeter, I have thought long and had over taking another cruise line. So anyone giving up the benefits of their rewards plan to cruise with someone else has to have considered the same things I have. Our last cruise on Princess was around the UK. Another cruise line offered the same cruise. I decided to price out the cruise paying for all the benefits and cruise credits I received with Princess. The other cruise would have cost us another t$7000.00 to get the same things. The penalty for not taking Princess is high and plenty punitive, so don't take my rewards away because I try another line.:mad:

No.

Europeans get far more vacations compared to those in the US. I don't know how Australians fare but most working Americans get only 2 weeks. Due to graduations, weddings, family events and those who have to use their vacation time for other items (when day care isn't provided, when school is out or when kids are sick), we can't easily travel as much as those across the pond can.

Also, it is not easy for some of us to get to the port. I live in the center of the country and must travel 2 days before the trip due to airline issues and the fact that we don't have direct flights to any cruise port and we often have to deal with severe weather when traveling at both home and our connecting flight connections (Denver and Chicago).

If most Americans received 4-6 weeks per year, that would be another story. But since the majority of Princess cruisers are still from the US, I don't think they should put a time limit on their benefits.

Besides, I probably have spent $75,000 (plus) with Princess alone and am only in my early 40's (and only started cruising in my late 20's). To take that away if I don't cruise a year or two would be stupid on Princess's part.

While an interesting thought and I think there is a cruise line that does have some kind of time limit on their program, my vote would be for "NO". Unlike airline line and hotel loyalty programs, cruises are vacations and not everyone can cruise 3 times a year or more, let alone once a year and the cruise lines want their share of that vacation dollar.

Coral brings up some excellent points. If you live 1,000-3,000 miles from a port (and that's just in the US), getting there is time-consuming and expensive. The vast majority of Americans can't drive to a port. Plus, here in the US, we have a lot of other cruise line options.

I cruise a lot with Princess but I also cruise other lines, take other types of trips. There have been years when I haven't cruised Princess. What the OP is saying is that I should be penalized for that.

So, my response is: No. It doesn't make any sense and would antagonize a lot of Platinum/Elite. Sorry but I think it's an awful suggestion.

No, I don't think there should be a time limit. For younger cruisers who are still working there is a limit as to how much vacation time they get. For those of us older cruisers who are retired health issues sometimes preclude travel. We couldn't travel for a couple of years due to family illness, and I would have been very unhappy to lose my platinum status.

Can I ask when replying that you include you cc level and how many cruises you took in the past 2 years with princess?

I keep seeing people post complaining at the potential dropping of perks or that there are too many elites or platinums on a cruise and that it somehow detracts from their level.

I am currently platinum, had 4 cruises in the past year, I have another 5 booked for 2013 and plan to be elite by the time my NYE 2013/2014 cruise comes around. Yes I cruise solo so I get 2 credits per cruise.

Being retired would love to be able to cruise all the time like some of you do.

It is a question of finances.

Are you saying that those few of you you are wealthy should get all the perks?.

While the rest of us that have managed to get to the elite staus slowly and cannot afford to travel very frequently should loose our elite status?

While an interesting thought and I think there is a cruise line that does have some kind of time limit on their program, my vote would be for "NO". Unlike airline line and hotel loyalty programs, cruises are vacations and not everyone can cruise 3 times a year or more, let alone once a year and the cruise lines want their share of that vacation dollar.

Apparently P&O does, but it is primarily for UK passengers who have more vacation time.

I don't understand how Elites and Platinums who are not on the cruise get in the way?

I think the OP's mode of reasoning is that if there were a time constraint on elite/platinum levels, then the number of elites/platinums onboard any given cruise would be curtailed. For instance, if you needed to cruise at least once every two years to maintain your status or lose it, then those folks who skip multiple years without taking a Princess cruise wouldn't have their previous status on their next cruise. A bit confusing I might admit, but I think you get my drift.

As for my opinion, I say keep it as is. I'm currently platinum with ten physical cruises, but twelve credits overall. Elite is just around the corner for me, but I've got a Carnival and Celebrity cruise booked for next year, but no Princess. Maybe in 2014....

Tony

Archived