Just back from Seabourn Sojourn. Silversea devotees beware!!!

philipb

Just back from a great cruise aboard Seabourn Sojourn. Great that is except for the MDR food! I have posted a full ship review in case you are interested, but for the 'foodies' out there on the Silversea website there is no just cause or reason to 'jump ship' at this time!

Here is the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112268

Thanks for letting us know about your review. It is clear you put a lot of time into it and made a great effort to be very thoughtful. Much appreciated!

Sounds like you had a lovely time, albeit the miscues in dining and poor complimentary wine pour choices certainly left small tarnish on what was otherwise two good voyages.

We enjoyed our voyage aboard the Silver Whisper during the US Thanksgiving holiday. In general, the food in the MDR was good. But, keep in mind we were only a party of three. So, I don't know how performance would be for a larger group. Finally, you might enjoy this wine topic as it shows over 30 wines available on the Whisper's Connoisseur Wine List from November.

Have a wonderful time back aboard the Whisper when she sets sail from LA on Jan. 5th!

Interesting reading. Haven't sailed on seabourn, primarily because of their smoking policy, but would have expected better.

Although, I was told by the chef himself on our silversea cruise this past summer that all silversea ships have the same menu rotation set by corporate office to optimize provisioning. So I hope you won't be disappointed to find the same thing going on with silversea now apparently.

Hi Philip

Luved your review. I will never cruise on Seabourn (because of their too-high single supplement) but do enjoy reading about them. Glad u had a good time with all the CC people.

Like RachelG, I was told that SS does the same thing with food across the fleet but each chef puts his particular stamp on things. This became obvious to me after my B2B trips on the Spirit and Cloud in 2010.

I'm really looking forward to seeing u when u get to Sydney in February.:)

Cheers

Jennifer

Comprehensive review philipb. We have from time to time considered SB and generally rejected it because of the lack of balconies on the triplets.

This is very disappointing because the new ships are as you described, better designed.

I am sure you will love your cruise on Whisper. We did Valpo-BA on her but were not as lucky as you, missed Ushuaia, the Cape and Tierra del Fuego due to a hurricane.

• 1 month later...
Stumblefoot, thank you for your wine list/review. do you know if the Wind offers the same wines? Do they not serve Riesling? Another question, as we've never sailed SS-can you literally order any drink you want? Thank you
Hi Mirrored_Images. Love the handle! And, welcome to Cruise Critic. I think you'll find interesting and passionate people here in the Silversea forum.

To answer your questions:

1. Unfortunately, I don't know if Silversea maintains wine list consistency between the ships. You might try and call the corporate office as I had luck procuring a wine list from the Silver Wind that the Ft. Lauderdale office scanned and emailed to me prior to our voyage on the Silver Whisper.
  2. Yes, Silversea offers a few different bottles of Riesling as I remember.
  3. In general and within reason, yes, you can order virtually any drink that you like and they will have it for you. However, if you were to order a bottle of Petrus, I promise that while Silversea will have it onboard, it will not be complimentary.

I would encourage you to speak with the Head Sommelier after you get settled in, or during your first dinner, and share with him/her the wines you enjoy. I think you will find that if there is a complimentary wine pour that you do not care for, they will make every effort to find a different type of wine and producer that better suits your palate.

The same holds true of the food as well. If you order a particular dish and find that you don't care for it, let your server know. They will happily replace it with something entirely different so that you may enjoy your meal more thoroughly.

I think you'll find the Silversea crew really does go out of their way to offer you the best service possible. Have a fantastic voyage!

Archived