Why are European cruises always more expensive than caribbean cruises?

JensJ

Part of the reason is supply versus demand, as well as it depends what time of year you are looking at. With that said, I have to tell you that in the Mediterranean the past few years with a lot of supply there have been some very attractive prices.

Keith

In the Caribbean, you pay us in US Dollars and then we pay all our bills in US Dollars.

In Europe, you pay us in US Dollars. Then we have to convert those US Dollars into Euros to pay all our bills there. With a weak US Dollar, the exchange rate is terrible. We lose big money on the exchange. That loss is passed on to you.

Also, EU cruises are VERY port intensive: frequently 5 ports in 7 days whereas Carribean cruises are often only 3 ports in 7 days.

More ports = more port charges

Also, it might be that EU ports already have higher port charges. They do not depend as much on cruise ships for tourist business. Plenty of cheap air & train service for ground visitors and semi-locals.

You might look at the beginning or end of the European cruising season for cruises that are transatlantics. The fares are are great, and you still get to visit European ports either upon arriving in Europe or prior to departing.

This past October I did a 19 day TA from Venice to FLL. We visited ports for Naples, Rome, Florence, Cannes, Barcelona, Casablanca, and then made a stop on the island of Madeira before sailing to FLL. I won't say what my fare was, but will say it was really good as compared to flying to and from Europe and taking a cruise in between! Plus I only needed a flight one way across the Atlantic!

Of course, you need to enjoy sea days, as it was 7 days across the Atlantic to FLL. I do, so this was an ideal cruise for me.

We have found great deals on European cruises, you just have to spend some time looking and be flexible.

As for low prices in the Caribbean, that's gonna happen anywhere when you put roughly 1,899 ships sailing the same waters at the same time.;)

I have only been on cruises in the caribbean, but I'am consider to take e cruise in Europe....

What part of Europe interests you? I've found some very attractive prices for Mediterranean itineraries in the shoulder seasons (Spring/Fall) - better deals on a per diem basis than Winter cruises in Caribbean. The cruises to northern Europe (Baltic Sea) tend to be more expensive.

As others mentioned, investigate airfares before booking any European cruises.

As for low prices in the Caribbean, that's gonna happen anywhere when you put roughly 1,899 ships sailing the same waters at the same time.;)

I thought it was 1897 ships?? But what's a ship or two in the great big sea !! :D

Oh Wow - I just got it !! - "Great Big Sea"... That's a Canadian band !! :)

i think part of the reason may also be that for most European cruises, the total miles traveled are more than most Caribbean cruises. Fuel is a BIG cost of a cruise. Another is that they are more port intensive and folks are off of the ship more and not spending as much discretionary on board spending as they do on a Caribbean cruise, so they have to make up some that revenue in the upfront ticket cost.

Alaska and Bermuda itineraries also generally have higher per diems than the typical Caribbean cruise. In their case the value of the dollar obviously has absolutely nothing to do with it. As with other itineraries, marketplace demand is the primary force that drives the prices.

Alaska and Bermuda itineraries also generally have higher per diems than the typical Caribbean cruise. In their case the value of the dollar obviously has absolutely nothing to do with it. As with other itineraries, marketplace demand is the primary force that drives the prices.

Absolutely correct.

In Alaska, you pay us with US Dollars and we pay our bills with US Dollars.

Bermuda - same story.

In Alaska and Bermuda, we can control capacity = controlling fares.

In most parts of the world, we can control capacity by moving ships around, thereby controlling supply and demand.

But in the Caribbean, many Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships are stuck there. Over-capacity drives down fares in that area.

Absolutely correct.

In Alaska, you pay us with US Dollars and we pay our bills with US Dollars.

Bermuda - same story.

In Alaska and Bermuda, we can control capacity = controlling fares.

In most parts of the world, we can control capacity by moving ships around, thereby controlling supply and demand.

But in the Caribbean, many Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships are stuck there. Over-capacity drives down fares in that area.

What you say may be true for original pricing. But prices for Europe are down this summer because of demand and not because of lower costs to do business.

I have seen some great prices too for cruises. The airfare is what gets you on this one.

Europe is just an expensive place any way you look at it.

This so right on it is not the cruise fare it the airfare and the excursions in Europe. It is never going to be cheap but it is worth it . Many times better than the Caribbean.

I had checked the price of a Med cruise a year or so ago and the cost wasn't much higher than a Caribbean cruise, about $2500-3000. However the stumbling block was the airfare, $4000 from the Left Coast to Spain and back.

Archived