heritage wharf in bermuda

crabbyjack

I so agree here... Tendering is a pain in the tush :D

I did it in Grand Cayman and it was fine (via Princess Cruise) and it was ONLY one day - not 3!

It's gonna be a pain to get on and off each time. Waiting in a line..

My final payment is due this month and I'm a tad concerned.. not a worry wart, but just that it going to be an inconvenience.. Yes, being on the Breakaway I could stay on the ship.. but if I'd like to get off at my leisure, I can't.

Compensation maybe?

If they change the itinerary, I'll freak! :) hehe

I am scheduled on the Dawn in June and I was initially more worried than I am now. The main reason being that if we do tender, it will be directly to Hamilton (most likely). That is where most cruisers will want to end up anyway. What is the difference if you get off the boat in King's Wharf and take a ferry to Hamilton or if you get tendered directly from the boat to Hamilton. I'm thinking it may actually be a pretty good deal if we get tendered. The beaches are all in Hamilton.

I am scheduled on the Dawn in June and I was initially more worried than I am now. The main reason being that if we do tender, it will be directly to Hamilton (most likely). That is where most cruisers will want to end up anyway. What is the difference if you get off the boat in King's Wharf and take a ferry to Hamilton or if you get tendered directly from the boat to Hamilton. I'm thinking it may actually be a pretty good deal if we get tendered. The beaches are all in Hamilton.

Hmm...

You think they will tender us right to Hamilton?

I'm still thinking of our plans for 3 days --- originally was thinking the Helmet Dive - but my 9yo - will be 10 at next month - is unsure of her dive, which is costing a small fortune per person - I'm in the mood for the ship and the beaches anyways - I enjoyed Horseshoe Bay on our last trip ... we did St George's another day - not doing it this time I don't think --- I want the beach - so maybe... just maybe you're right :D :D :D

I'm looking up beaches for this trip besides Horseshoe -- we did that last time and then walked and walked and walked LOL seemed like forever and found a great beach with pink sand.. one of the locals sent us on this wild trail LOLLL

I am scheduled on the Dawn in June ................................. The beaches are all in Hamilton.

The beaches are not in Hamilton; they are in many places but none in the City of Hamilton

I'm looking up beaches for this trip besides Horseshoe -- we did that last time and then walked and walked and walked LOL seemed like forever and found a great beach with pink sand.. one of the locals sent us on this wild trail LOLLL

If you walk northeast from Horseshoe Bay, you can walk to these beaches: Chaplin Bay, Stonehole Bay, Jobson's Cove , and Warwick Long Bay, respectively. The distance from the first beach (HSB) to the last beach (WLB) is about .6 mile. There is a satellite photo here which clearly shows the paths.

SBtS

The beaches are not in Hamilton; they are in many places but none in the City of Hamilton

If you walk northeast from Horseshoe Bay, you can walk to these beaches: Chaplin Bay, Stonehole Bay, Jobson's Cove , and Warwick Long Bay, respectively. The distance from the first beach (HSB) to the last beach (WLB) is about .6 mile. There is a satellite photo here which clearly shows the paths.

SBtS

SBtS - thank you for the correction. How far are the beaches from the Hamilton area compared to the same beaches from King's Wharf?

SBtS - thank you for the correction. How far are the beaches from the Hamilton area compared to the same beaches from King's Wharf?

For example -

• Horseshoe Bay: about 30 minutes from Hamilton; 35 from the Dockyard, by bus
  • Elbow Beach: about 15 minutes from Hamilton; 48 from the Dockyard, by bus

SBtS

...was thinking - why Hamilton? Wouldn't they just tender us in to the Dockyard?

Because most passengers leave to go elsewhere when their ship is berthed at Dockyard. On a three day stay I'd estimate the typical visitor spends at most a half day at Dockyard, and the remaining time elsewhere.

Hamilton is centrally located, and is the transportation hub of Bermuda, with the main bus and ferry terminals being located there. It's faster to get to almost everywhere from Hamilton than it is from Dockyard.

For ships that are in Bermuda on Sunday only shops at the Dockyard are open. Going into Hamilton then on a Sunday would be only to grab a taxi or bus to go somewhere else. I also believe that they will work around Heritage Wharf and let ships dock there as the Government repeatedly has stated.

Because most passengers leave to go elsewhere when their ship is berthed at Dockyard. On a three day stay I'd estimate the typical visitor spends at most a half day at Dockyard, and the remaining time elsewhere.

Hamilton is centrally located, and is the transportation hub of Bermuda, with the main bus and ferry terminals being located there. It's faster to get to almost everywhere from Hamilton than it is from Dockyard.

True, when we were there 2 years ago - we docked at the Dockyard and left for most of the day - St. George, beaches, etc..

But if we are tendered, I would think they would just drive us over to Dockyard and not Hamilton ...

Hopefully it won't come to that as I see you posted that the supplies have arrived, hopefully that means they are working on it soon :)

True, when we were there 2 years ago - we docked at the Dockyard and left for most of the day - St. George, beaches, etc..

But if we are tendered, I would think they would just drive us over to Dockyard and not Hamilton ...

Hopefully it won't come to that as I see you posted that the supplies have arrived, hopefully that means they are working on it soon :)

Last year when the Dawn had to tender passengers on one cruise, it was done to Hamilton, not Dockyard.

In their latest press release, the Public Works Ministry is still saying work on Heritage Wharf will be completed in time for the NCL Breakaway's May 15 arrival.

http://bernews.com/2013/03/ministry-updates-on-heritage-wharf-project/

http://bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Government--Heritage-Wharf-project-off-to-a-good-start/24/270/64289

Last year when the Dawn had to tender passengers on one cruise, it was done to Hamilton, not Dockyard.

njhorseman are you refering to the ship, Star I believe, that broke away from the mooring at Heritage Wharf? If it was the Dawn why would they have to tender if they are supposed to be berthed at the Heritage Wharf.

njhorseman are you refering to the ship, Star I believe, that broke away from the mooring at Heritage Wharf? If it was the Dawn why would they have to tender if they are supposed to be berthed at the Heritage Wharf.

No, I was referring to the Dawn. On one of its cruises last year, the Dawn had to avoid sailing through a tropical storm or hurricane and arrived in Bermuda late as a result. NCL decided to keep the ship in Bermuda an extra day (it was scheduled to use two sea days on the return trip but really only needs one) to make up for the lost time in port. However, the Star was scheduled to arrive and dock at Heritage Wharf that day, so the Dawn anchored in Great Sound and tendered its passengers ashore on that day.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. By the way when is hurricane season in the Atlantic?

Hope it doesn't include May!

Official hurricane season in the North Atlantic runs from June 1 through November 30, but that doesn't mean you can't have a storm forming outside of that time frame. As you can see from this chart, hurricanes and tropical storms have occurred in every month of the year :

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E17.html

In their latest press release, the Public Works Ministry is still saying work on Heritage Wharf will be completed in time for the NCL Breakaway's May 15 arrival.

http://bernews.com/2013/03/ministry-updates-on-heritage-wharf-project/

http://bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Government--Heritage-Wharf-project-off-to-a-good-start/24/270/64289

But not ready in time for the ships that arrive before it: http://bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/Ne...a/24/270/64212

It's probably going to affect four to six trips with tenders.

islegroove, is this just a guess or do you have insider Bermuda information? :) We are going on the Dawn June 7th, so you would think that we have a shot at being okay?

Archived