How did you find out about Holland America???

Northshorecruisers

HAL seems to have a very loyal following. We all enjoy a better level of service than cruisers on other lines. So, my questions are:

What prompted you to pick HAL in the first place?

Have you tried other cruise lines and come back to HAL?

What is the one thing (only 1 allowed) that keeps you coming back?

If HAL wasn't available, which line would you choose?

After seeing beautiful HAL ships at ports of call in Alaska, I decided I would cruise on a HAL ship one day.

Then I saw HAL's Amsterdam at OPT, Sydney on its World Cruise. I decided I would cruise on HAL's Amsterdam one day on segments of its World Cruise.

I have yet to cruise on HAL!

Our very first cruise was Princess. We liked it well enough to know we liked cruising but thought there had to be a better fit for us than that cruise line.

Our second cruise was RCCL (as RCI was known then) because friends wanted to sail with us and they were very experienced. Told us we'd love it. We didn't.

Third choice was HAL. My parents only sailed once, when Rotterdam V was relatively new and they raved about it. As a third try, we figured why not sail HAL. We were aboard a very short times when we knew we had found our 'cruising home'. :)

Yes, we sailed other cruise lines while cruising HAL in our early years of cruising but at a given point, we knew we were happiest on HAL and have sailed them exclusively for many years.

What keeps us coming back to HAL is the people....... for us, HAL is all about the people. We love HAL crews above all others we have encountered.

HAL seems to have a very loyal following. We all enjoy a better level of service than cruisers on other lines. So, my questions are:

What prompted you to pick HAL in the first place? Combination of TA & desire for a change---we were loyal RCCL/Celebrity fans

Have you tried other cruise lines and come back to HAL? No. Since first trying HAL in 2008, we haven't sailed with another line. Our upcoming trip at the end of March marks our 6th cruise with them.

What is the one thing (only 1 allowed) that keeps you coming back? Other passengers & understated elegance. (Oops. Sorry, that's 2, but I could list dozens.)

Hard one, because the line I'd choose I can't afford. Radisson 7 Seas.

Great question!

We picked HAL because my parents sailed on their ships in the early 80's and loved it so when we decided to try a cruise to Alaska we tried HAL-guess what-we loved it!

We have yet to try a different cruise line and keep coming back to HAL because of their wonderful, friendly staff.

If HAL wasn't available-we would probably try Princess.

Advice from some VERY wise friends.

We tried Carnival this year for the itinerary and to sail with

already-booked friends. We come back to HAL in just 8 months when we

board Noordam for our first TA.:)

We know it will feel like home.

QM2 or another Luxury line if we could ever afford it.

Like Canadianbear, we chose HAL because my parents had sailed it once or twice in the early 80s. We knew nothing about cruising, in fact I never thought I would want to take a cruise. But within the first 5 minutes onboard I was hooked.

We have sailed Celebrity (once) and liked it a lot, but there are things about HAL that we like better, like the itineraries, wine policy (while it lasts :() and wrap-around promenade deck. If the right cruise comes along we will sail Celebrity again, but HAL remains our favorite line.

The itineraries are what keeps us coming back.

We would sail Celebrity if HAL was not available.

Hi there, my hubby and I are into fishing and had booked a trip in Cordova, Alaska, salmon fishing, so instead of flying straight there I suggested we get a cruise from Vancouver. I love researching holidays and found that HAL had smaller boats, as it was going to be our first cruise we were worried about crowds. What a great time we had.

Now managed to get hubby to agree to do another cruise while in UK so did not even look at another line as we are happy with HAL.

Happy sailing, Julie:)

My parents sailed HAL twice (Alaska cruisetour & Panama Canal) on Ryndam & Veedam. They had nothing but good to say about their trips. When it came time to book our Alaska cruise, HAL was an early front-runner, and the decision was clinched when I saw that they were the only line I could afford, that would get us to Sitka. Now looking at a 10-14 day cruise on Noordam for March 2014.

I have a good friend who sailed on the Maasdam. I helped her scrapbook her voyage and by the time we finished I felt like I had been on the ship. When I started to look for a cruise line for a world voyage I was very interested in going on HAL. That was not to be because HAL charges 200% for solos for verandah cabins which put them out of my price range. I am so enjoying reading all the blogs from this year's world voyage. Hopefully, someday I will get to go on a HAL cruise when I am not travelling solo.

What prompted you to pick HAL in the first place? A friend sailed from Civitavecchia and came home with tales of fun, total relaxation and a great time in the Piano Bar :D It piqued my interest and a cruise on Statendam came up at a price too good to resist.

Have you tried other cruise lines and come back to HAL? No, only cruised HAL.

What is the one thing (only 1 allowed) that keeps you coming back? I leave the ship having had a terrific time. Why go elsewhere if HAL go where I want to go?

If HAL wasn't available, which line would you choose? Celebrity.

What prompted you to pick HAL in the first place? -- A friend who was a travel agent and knew we wanted to do a Canada/New England cruise. She told us the lines that did that itinerary and told us flat out that we would not like Carnival. On her strong suggestion, we booked the cruise on the Veendam

Have you tried other cruise lines and come back to HAL? -- I've only cruised with HAL and the now defunct Commodore Cruise Line.

What is the one thing (only 1 allowed) that keeps you coming back? -- I would have to say quiet ships, though there are several factors that HAL has that keep me from choosing another line.

If HAL wasn't available, which line would you choose? -- I would not cruise; I would take luxury land vacations.

We first started to cruise on Cunard. Then we sailed on Princess, NCL and RCI. We were standing out at Canada Place in Vancouver and saw a HAL ship. Yelled across to the people out on their balcony and asked how they liked the ship. We thought the ship from the outside looked nice. Made a reservation for the following summer to cruise on HAL. That was in 1996. Until the last few years we still cruised on other cruise lines.

We may still try Celebrity.

Google! I wanted to take my sister on a cruise to Alaska and after looking at almost every cruise line I chose the 14-day Alaskan Explorer on the Amsterdam in 2011.

Not yet. I was persuaded by the price point and "free" upgrade to a balcony to try NCL for a Med cruise in 2014. I'm back on the Amsterdam before that for the 2014 world cruise.

The number one reason I chose the 2014 Grand World Voyage on the Amsterdam was the itinerary. It was just better than the other world cruises I looked at, and I even looked at European lines. If I could have 2 reasons, I love the Amsterdam.

I'm not sure. I might be line-hopping for awhile.

What prompted you to pick HAL in the first place? Research. It had what we wanted and didn't have what we were trying to avoid!

Have you tried other cruise lines and come back to HAL? Princess (Golden Princess to be exact)

What is the one thing (only 1 allowed) that keeps you coming back? Quiet and space. We have enough noise and schedules in our everyday lives, we don't want that on vacation.

If HAL wasn't available, which line would you choose? I would have to go back to do more research!

Good questions! Thanks for asking.

The highlighted statement invalidates your question. I have received excellent service on every line I have sailed with Holland America being no better or worse than the others.

My TA recommended HAL for Alaska. It was such a great cruise/tour that we wanted to try them again. I think the service was the one thing that stood out as being superior. If I couldn't sail HAL I guess I could try Celebrity, but I really wouldn't want to. I like the size of HAL's ships, smaller with less people. I'm done with Carnival and RCI....ships too large and too many people onboard.

saw an ad with a good price for a cruise to Alaska from Seattle. Thought we would give it a try. Liked the crew, food and itinerary and said "what the heck, lets stay with HAL!" Turned out to be a great choice for us. We are happy.

Found out about HAL from my friend Chris after he just completed sailing across the Atlantic on the Pintodam :D !

Actually when we started sailing so many years ago there were not many options out of Florida; so HAL was by default.

My first HAL cruise was on Noordam collectors cruise in the Med last summer . The price and itinerary were perfect for my son and I I even convinced my sisters to joinus on the second leg of the cruise.I chose this cruise because it went to many places I had either never been or was there a long time ago. The visiting was hectic but I loved it although the heat in some places was truly unbelievable ...like an open oven door ....very strange feeling

Food was very good entertainment was sparce for us because our dinners took so long ...iI do not remember ever attending a show and after a day of touring in the heat ...dinner and bed was fine

My last cruise on Noordam I was very bothered by cigar smokers on balconies ...so I will not go back with HALUntil they changethat policy . I do travel with Princess and they are great too plus no smoking in cabins andbalconies

I enjoyed all the lines ...NCland Cunard have the best entertaiment ....RCI has great ice shows and dance shows on the new big ships

Carnival has great shows and super comedy clubs

Princess has great food and shows

I love Costa ships ...great daytime activities and their ships are beautiful

I love to cruise ...i just hope more lines become more smoke restrictive

Whatever you choose do enjoy

An ex-girlfriend of mine and her family, including an elderly grandmother, had booked a two week holiday cruise aboard the Noordam in 1995. Grandma got sick shortly before departure, so they had an empty berth and the girlfriend offered it to me free of charge:D. I've been cruising aboard HAL, as well as NCL and Princess ever since with my lovely bride, who is not the old girlfriend:eek: We just love the crews aboard HAL's ships, and in fact I acted as the Best Man at the wedding of one of our Filipino bartenders from the old Nieuw Amsterdam a number of years ago. :)

I talked my ex into taking a "try it, you'll like it" 4-day cruise on Carnival back in 1994. She was afraid of getting seasick and had resisted the notion of cruising for years and years. We enjoyed it and based on our experience our TA booked us on the then new Ryndam in early 1995. Unfortunately our relationship went south so to speak and I didn't cruise again until the then new Mrs. K and I honeymooned on the Ryndam in 1998. Since then we've taken many cruises on HAL, one Celebrity cruise, and most recently cruised with Silversea. I guess you might say we've "graduated" and most probably, though I hesitate to say never, will not be back to HAL anytime soon. We have great memories from our HAL cruises and certainly no regrets but for us for reasons that have probably been discussed too much on this board we're looking elsewhere for our near-future cruise adventures.

My reason is different from those posted already.

My husband heard about the dental program that HAL had and was interested in combining a vacation while offering dental care to the crew.It was a great experience because the crew were so very grateful.

There was an organization(forget the name) that supplied the dentists. He had to pay dues to join the organization and then a reduced rate to sail, but in the end it was pretty much equal to what we would have paid for an OV. He saw patients on sea days and was off when we were in port unless there was a passenger emergency. Passengers were very grateful to have a dentist on board who had access to a fully supplied dental clinic. The dental organization supplied everything that was needed.

We got hooked on cruising and continued with HAL after HAL stopped the program.

Not sure what line I will try instead.

We had sailed on many lines when we boarded our first HAL ship, the Noordam. We picked it because it was sailing out of our home port (NY) and was a perfect winter getaway. Needless to say, we fell in love. We have since sailed with Princess and RCI but still prefer HAL even though there was much better entertainment on both Princess and RCI.

Looking forward to boarding Nieuw Amsterdam on Sunday! :D

Marge

Archived