CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

There is always bending of the law and special treatment to benefit corporations... Happens a lot. Takes some money

Any special handling of people returning from the Dream is for the benefit of the passengers. I am confident that CBP would not break a law in any accomodation it made for these special cases.

Because they didn't check anyone's ID on the way out, and they are not coming into the point of departure. This is not a closed loop cruise. Those without passports should be subjected to additional screening, just like those landing in the US with a passport that was lost or stolen in transit. A birth certificate is a lot easier to forge than a passport.

So what you are saying is the government should put people through an extra wringer even though they departed with the documentation allowed by law? CBP isn't all that concerned about birth certificates being forged, they are presented only to show citizenship. It is your ID that is important. Every passenger's information is put through a number of government databases and CBP has time to do this while the passengers are on the cruise (as opposed to doing this check at a border crossing or in the airport). That is one of the reasons that the closed loop exception exists.

(And the DHS regulations do recognize that there are times when for humanitarian reasons or other good reason that waivers to the procedures need to be made.)

Oops my bad MM/

You know us Hm's we were too busy taking naps in sick bay to know exactly what you guys did

All I know we didnt have to worry about getting somewhere;)

Unlike CCL MM's:rolleyes:

Doc, you do realize that most people think you are talking about candy, right?:D

I didn't say that. I said that they should undergo the same additional screening as anyone coming in on a plane from another country without a passport would. That's hardly "throwing the book at them." I just want our country to enforce it's laws equally for anyone flying in instead of giving special preferences because it's convenient to a corporation.

It should be a problem. There should be no bending of the law or special treatment that benefits a corporation. Why bother to have laws to begin with if they aren't going to be followed?

That's where your thinking is off- CBP isn't bending any rules to benefit a corporation. They are accomodating US citizens who left the country with the documentation legally required for their travel who now have to come back via a different means through no fault of their own.

Omg CNN is now saying there is a second ship having problems.

Yes, the Legend. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1807578

The cruise line has now confirmed to CNN that the Legend is having technical difficulties that are affecting its sailing speed. Because of the problems, Carnival said it had canceled a scheduled stop in Grand Cayman and the ship will make its trek back to it's scheduled ending destination in Tampa, Florida. Passengers say the Captain has said he can not guarantee they will arrive in Tampa on schedule.

Omg CNN is now saying there is a second ship having problems.

Another day, another bunch of posts probably designated to blame CNN for Carnivals problems. Wonder why they are singling CCL out.

I see the story is also on NBC. Shame, NBC!

These are not emergency conditions.

You are something! I never said anything about it being an emergency. I said "unusual".

You are so hung up on this passport thing and following the rule of the kaw (as only you see fit). Waivers are possible, get over it.

You are a little over the top with your CCL support.............. almost SGT or JH level :eek:

No kidding. Somehow it's ok for a non CNN watcher to criticize CNN but it's not ok for a non CCL cruiser to criticize CCL.

Objectophilia at its best. :D Got a cure for that, Doc? ;)

I have traveled on several carnival cruises (the most out of all the lines I have cruised with). I will tell you my next one will NOT be on carnival.

The carnival fan boys really need to start being quiet. (its comical to watch your defenses at this point).. clearly carnival (as I saw another passenger comment), is lacking maintenance to save a buck, or not training their staff properly to service the ships.

This is actually quite sad that now 2 boats are experiencing problems AT THE SAME TIME.

Carnival is going to be hurting within 1 year from now because of these issues and people not feeling safe cruising with them.

I also travelled on many Carnival ships and the past few years due to its cutbacks taken many RC cruises. We are booked on the Fascination for this May (I been on 48 cruises so far at the age of 49) and never took insurance, but this time we did. We are trying NCL in June and this next carnival cruise will be our last one.

I backed up Carnival during the Triumph ordeal, but now two more ships in just a few weeks apart, something not right to me.

So what you are saying is the government should put people through an extra wringer even though they departed with the documentation allowed by law? CBP isn't all that concerned about birth certificates being forged, they are presented only to show citizenship. It is your ID that is important. Every passenger's information is put through a number of government databases and CBP has time to do this while the passengers are on the cruise (as opposed to doing this check at a border crossing or in the airport). That is one of the reasons that the closed loop exception exists.

(And the DHS regulations do recognize that there are times when for humanitarian reasons or other good reason that waivers to the procedures need to be made.)

I don't see this as a humanitarian problem. Those passengers are in no distress. This is not a poop cruise. They might have left "legally" but they are flying back, which requires different documentation, and the lack of should be treated as a lack of.

I don't see this as a humanitarian problem. Those passengers are in no distress. This is not a poop cruise. They might have left "legally" but they are flying back, which requires different documentation, and the lack of should be treated as a lack of.

As I said before they are having to fly back through no fault of their own. This isn't a case of someone being over served at Senor Frogs and losing track of time. Both the law and the regulations are being observed in this case because both the law and the regulations allow for these types of contingencies.

I'm not sure why the passport issue is STILL being brought up when the carrier has already stated it's a non issue and they are taking care of it.

No kidding. Somehow it's ok for a non CNN watcher to criticize CNN but it's not ok for a non CCL cruiser to criticize CCL.

Objectophilia at its best. :D Got a cure for that, Doc? ;)

In my opinion, the criticism of CCL in this thread has been fair and quite warranted.

I'm not a CCL cheerleader and I've actually stuck up for them on several points--including the compensation, which I think is reasonable and fair--a point that I felt was grossly unfair with the Triumph situation.

I really don't think you can blame CCL for this one, although I do think it's becoming quite clear that they've got a system-wide issue with their electrical redundancies that needs to be addressed, which most likely means removing some ships from service until it is.

I'm not sure why the passport issue is STILL being brought up when the carrier has already stated it's a non issue and they are taking care of it.

Because I don't see how "the carrier" has the authority to change the laws and I don't think our government should change them to make accommodations for people entering the country without proper documentation when there are no emergent circumstances.

Hmmm... 'multiple' passengers (from a ship capable of holding 5,000) have reported .....? No record from Coast Guard ....

Why am I a little suspicious of the credibility of this actually happening?

Because you don't want to know? The more it happens the easier it is for me to believe. At some point even the cheerleaders have not notice when their team isn't putting out it's best effort.

Because I don't see how "the carrier" has the authority to change the laws and I don't think our government should change them to make accommodations for people entering the country without proper documentation when there are no emergent circumstances.

Accommodations are made all the time for folks who lose their passports while traveling abroad. Not sure why this situation should be any different.

So you're just posting what you think. You make it sound as if they are just parading their passengers back in an "in your face" fashion, as opposed to having the right beards contact the right people to expedite repatriation. A DL will he more weight this time than normal, or a BC.

If I were in that ship, I would not be too concerned in trying to get back into the states. I wold expect the same questions I am asked when I come in from Europ with a passport.

Again, with all the passport purveyor of doom posts you made about the Triumph incident, I never read anyone having one problem, even after this cruise was no longer closed looped.

Archived