Silver Spirit Spring Crossing April 3-April 16th (Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon)

WesW

Emtbsam, ededmd, Newlondon, Tothesunset, Dusababy; Thank y'all for your kind words.

Victoria--thank you. We also adore Ismael.

Bill...u made a funny :)

Tothesunset--glad you are enjoying our thread--Rachel, George, Ida, and the other CCrs on board are having a blast. Last night had pre dinner drinks

with Craig and Will, and their friends Joni and Mary. Wil and I loved our Gin martini's with blue cheese stuffed olives. (alas, was to busy drinking and gabbing and did not get a pix).

Mary Ann, your welcome...did gave Don Fluke your kind regards, he was tickled and will email you soon..he felt bad he did not get to LA for a visit w/u recently.

Also, believe Herman asked who the Spirit leadership will be later this year. Paolo believes Captain Arno or Pontillo will be aboard, along with Paolo, Ricardo will be executive chef.

Picture showing Ricardo, Executive Chef on board the Spirit, explaining how to make Pasta to bsrkent/Steve and Barb, Ida is beside Ricardo to his left. The cooking demonstration this morning included how to make pasta, how to prepare walnut sauce, and how to make spinach and ricotta filling.

ss3004_zps4db365ce.jpg

Next we were off to the Main Bar, deck 5, for the cocktail mixing class and learned from the Pool Manager, Mrya about Cosmo’s, Sangria, Caparina, and Mojitos. We were each given a mini glass to taste. Rommel and Chester demonstrated some bartender tricks as well. Pls enjoy some pix from the cocktail class:

ss3008_zpsd55ec4e5.jpg

ss3013_zpse47aebff.jpg

Chester (12 colors of the World bar trick) first lined up shot glasses in different colors on top of large glasses, then tipped the first one over that acted like a domino knowking them all over into the large glass

ss3015_zpsf2d12628.jpg

Pix of Ida with Paolo (Hotel Director) Steve and Barb;

ss3017_zpsdd0cb079.jpg

Don't try this at home folks. :eek:

Looks amazing Wes! Will have to see this one live and in-person someday.

Chester (12 colors of the World bar trick) first lined up shot glasses in different colors on top of large glasses, then tipped the first one over that acted like a domino knowking them all over into the large glass

ss3015_zpsf2d12628.jpg

Hi Wes... when I got off the Spirit a couple of weeks ago... a "help yourself" coffee station was the only suggestion I could come up with. I hope they do it fleetwide. What an easy way to take a little bit of pressure off room service for those of us out for an early, quiet stroll.

Wes thanks for allowing us to follow along with your crossing. Loving Rachael's posts too.

One of the things I have found to be positive about SS and that is the entertainment staff really go out of their way to engage the guests. I would have been right up there dancing the night away, along with Ida. Their shows are fresh and terrific.

You also have my favorite bar manager on board, Myra. Such a great smile and personality.

I can't wait until December when we do a B2B on Spirit. Can you elaborate a bit on the two restaurants that are exclusive to Spirit? I would appreciate that.

Enjoy!

Fizzy, absolutely agree and will suggest to Paolo and in writing/email to Ellen Bettridge (President of Silversea).

Karaoke Queen, Dougburns, NewLondon, thanks for your kind words.

Bill, the suites are not real guest friendly (too narrow) due to built in TV/mirror complex directly in front of your bed in a normal veranda suite. So if your wife (or Dieter) is doing their make up you have to crawl over your bed or politely ask your bride to move (bribing with a champagne refill works best). Rachel already mentioned the bathroom sinks are problematic due to non user friendly faucet that easily splashes you once or twice a day due to its fancy design. However the rain shower is huge and wonderful as a counterweight to the poor sink design.

More on the restaurants (Seishin and Supper club later)

We enjoyed another outstanding evening on board the Spirit. We began by attending the Captain’s welcome in the main bar. Captain Pontillo made brief remarks then Ida and I headed to the Panorama lounge where we had pre dinner drinks with Cashipman/Craig, Muse Cruiser/Wil, Joni and Mary. Please, see pix below of us in the Panorama Lounge.

ss3001_zpscfe579ba.jpg

The Panorama lounge was full (service continued to be intuitive) of fellow pax dressed to the nines (would guess over 80% of fellow pax were in formal wear (now we are at 70% full (380 out of 540 Pax) tho we will probably gain some pax here in Hamilton, Bermuda (we docked about 8 a.m) . We left the lounge about 8:10 to head to the Main Restaurant for the Captain’s Gala Dinner (and hopefully to miss the crowd). Marcelo (Restaurant Mgr) greeted us with a smile, used his magic and found us a marvelous table for six instantly. Pls see pix of most of us at our table below:

ss3003_zpsa2346c97.jpg

Craig, Wil, Ida and I had the outstanding Beef Wellington, Wil also included lobster thereby making a wonderful surf & turf plate. Joni and Mary had the Lobster. Wil shared his exceptional wine knowledge with us (along with Covin our sommelier) and ordered for our table (pls see first pix below) to start a iced bottle of Krug Grande Cuvee. To pair with the Lobster, Wil choose a wonderful French Sauvignon Blanc (that Wil personally experienced in the cellar at the winery in France), Domaine de Chevallier, Blanc de Chateau. Best SB Ida and I’ve tasted. To pair with the Beef Wellington I ordered for us a bottle of Shafer’s Relentless (marvelous full bodied Syrah) and Wil ordered us a delightful French Bordeaux (Chateau Pichon-Lalonde, Deuxieme Grand. By the end of our meal, Joni and I excused our self (the wine helped) and headed to our suites respectively. Ida, Mary, Craig and Will headed to the Connissuer’s Corner to have an after dinner cognac and cigars.

Ida then headed to the Panorama lounge to listen to the DJ Phraim spin his tunes (DJ at night and remarkably our room steward during the day) She danced some but tonight was not as. lively as the night before. (pls see SCP (Silversea Crew Profile of Phraim below)

We plan to see Bermuda on our own (am doing a personal jogging 5 mile tour—have invited Paolo/Hotel Director to join me. (If I can find him :)) Ida plans to shop (hopefully browse along broad street (we are docked at the Pier on Broad street. Ida and I plan to go to Fort Hamilton tomorrow afternoon. Ida is doing the Yoga class with Nenad this afternoon.

Tonight we are having dinner with EnglishUsa/David, bsrkent/Steve & Barb at Hot Rocks. Entertainment in the Show Lounge is Rebecca Franz doing “Legends Through the Ages.”

For Mr. Luxury who asked about wine on the Connisseur's list. Some New World US selections along with Italian selections from Piedmont and Veneto:

US New World:

Cardinale, Shafer Hillside Select, Opus 1, Robert Phelps Insignia, Caymus Special Select

Piedmont offersings include: Angelo Gaja Barolo, Pellissero Barberesco, Parrusso Barolo, Parusso Barber di Alba.

Veneto selections (2 Amarone's) Allegrini and Massi

Silversea Crewmember Profile, Room Steward and DJ in Panorama Loune: Phraim

Phraim has been with Silversea for a year. He is from the Phillipines, he is married and has two sons. What he likes most about working for Silversea is the Silversea Standard. He told me making guests happy, makes him happy.

p001_zps3d6c2f5e.jpg

Wes, dinner sounded divine including those wines.

Great photos.

Have a wonderful time in Bermuda; one of our most memorable Islands as this is where we went for our Honeymoon.

Continue to enjoy and thanks for allowing us to follow your voyage.

Keith

Looks like Ida dressed Wes with that blue tie to match her top. What do you think, Dieter? Oh well, that's the Army! On the Fall crossing I'm not bringing my medals, Wes, so don't even bother suggesting it. Have a great time in Bermuda all! Hope the weather holds for the crossing.

doug, You still haven't answered my query about Wes with his arm around Myra. Since I don't know whether you are giving him an Army pass I'll back off. I don't know Dieter or his CC name; but any chance to rag on our buddy Wes should be jumped on by all of us. He certainly uses his ops to the max:D

Awoke to very overcast skies and humid! We are docked right on front street in the middle of the action. Forecast called for temps in the high 60s and 80% chance of rain. It looked like it could pour at any moment, but no rain so far. We lucked out.

Before I forget, Abba show was just ok. The singers are very good, but the theater is not to my liking. It feels cramped and claustrophobic. Seats are close together, and stage is small. But the singers did well with what they had to work with as far as space.

Also, lobster last evening was quite delicious. We ate with Barb and Steve. Had a wonderful time.

Anyway, back to today. We walked through the cruise terminal, turned left and went down to the ferry terminal where we bought 2 day ferry and bus passes for $25pp. A good deal if one is wanting to do their own thing. We had a bit of time till the ferry to the dockyards, so took a good walk around town and found the grocery store. Steep prices since pretty much everything is shipped in.

30 min ferry ride to the dockyards was scenic and fun. We explored the fort there which has been turned into the national museum with exhibits about almost everything you can imagine regarding the history of Bermuda. George enjoyed the military history portions especially regarding WWII. The place was almost deserted since ours is the only ship in port. That was really nice as we could just take our time. Views from the fort are great.

They also have a dolphin quest place there, and you can view the dolphin training as part of your admission price. Actually I think the dolphins alone were worth the complete $10 pp entry fee. If you want to swim with them, that is pretty pricey, but it was too cold to do that anyway today.

Lunch at the frog and onion pub was just ok. The Fish and chips were good, but my veggie pastie was pretty bland. I would have been better off just getting a salad.

There are some local craft shops next door, so we picked up some local pepper jelly and sauces. They had some beautiful hand painted caps and t shirts as well.

Local bus 7 back to Hamilton was like Mr Toad's wild ride at Disney. Curvy road with cars and motor cycles pulling out, sudden stops, lots of honking and beeping. All in all great fun. And lots of locals to talk to. Very friendly people who love George's cowboy hat.

We are supposed to eat at Hot Rocks tonight, so I hope rain holds off.

Wil shared his exceptional wine knowledge with us (along with Covin our sommelier) and ordered for our table an iced bottle of Krug Grande Cuvee. To pair with the Lobster, Wil choose a wonderful French Sauvignon Blanc (that Wil personally experienced in the cellar at the winery in France), Domaine de Chevallier, Blanc de Chateau. Best SB Ida and I’ve tasted. To pair with the Beef Wellington I ordered for us a bottle of Shafer’s Relentless (marvelous full bodied Syrah) and Wil ordered us a delightful French Bordeaux (Chateau Pichon-Lalonde, Deuxieme Grand.
Your friend Wil sounds like a keeper! It amazes me how good the non-vintage Krug Grande Cuvées can be. And, the White Domaine de Chevalier is about as good as it gets anywhere in the world. A blend of 80 percent Sauvignon Blanc and 20 percent Sémillon from the Pessac-Leognan of Bordeaux, Chevalier's whites are legendary and readily available as they usually produce about 1,500 cases annually. I particularly like it's typical racy start that is coupled to a backbone of acidity that produces a long, long finish. I didn't see it available on our Nov. Whisper voyage, so I'll be sure to seek it out on the Cloud this summer.

BTW, fantastic call on the Shafer Relentless Wes! The last three vintages ('07-'09) have been very, very good. In fact, the '08 was the Wine Spectator wine of the year in 2012. Other than the '04, this bottling has been exceptionally consistent for the past decade.

Really enjoying reading your experiences! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Local bus 7 back to Hamilton was like Mr Toad's wild ride at Disney. Curvy road with cars and motor cycles pulling out, sudden stops, lots of honking and beeping. All in all great fun. And lots of locals to talk to. Very friendly people who love George's cowboy hat.

We are supposed to eat at Hot Rocks tonight, so I hope rain holds off.

I love this description! Sounds like quite the fun ride.

Your genuine positive attitude "all in all great fun" serves as a model for the rest of us. Hopefully, the rains will remain at bay so that you can enjoy a nice dinner outside this evening.

So sorry the weather wasn't the greatest while you were here - it could have been a lot worse with a biting wind from the north - this is the warmest (if not gloomiest) day we've had for a long time.

While you were all enjoying the Island we were enjoying a tour of your lovely ship and it is certainly now on our list (in fact I'm trying to drop hints about January 2014!).

Glad you enjoyed the bus journey! A long time ago there was a driver who knew everyone and which stop they got off at and she would shout at you if you rang the bell! At Christmas she would have a cassette tape of carols which she would sing at the top of her lungs and everyone was encouraged to follow along.

Mary

Mitch, good catch, tho pls remember dieter only checks CC and his email monthly :)

Stumblefoot, Wil is a true oenophile...tho tonight at Hot Rocks, went with the Head Sommelier's recommendation of Don Melchor (chilean) Cab to share with EnglishUsa and bsrkent, was mediocre at best...lesson learned trust your own palate. Tho we finished our wine package, will buy another tomorrow and will absolutely include another bottle, maybe two of Shafer's Relentless Syrah. Conversely speaking to the Don Melcher Cab, the Relentless Syrah belongs in everyone's wine collection--remarkable vintage.

Please enjoy some pix from tonight's dinner at Hot rocks with Englishusa/David, bsrkent/Barb and Steve. First pix includes Stephan F &B mgr, talk about intuitive service, spoke to our Butler Welesley about arranging a special Indian Dinner for Monday nite at 6 pm. Stephan was at our table at 7 pm to set up a morning meeting with me to discuss our prefrences...amazing. Also, arranged for Rangpur Gin (Tanqueray) to be on board our Cloud voyage in July and Spirit voyage in November w/Stephan.

btw, first time ever noted the Silversea logo stamped into the toilet paper in common area restrooms..have to post a pix of this..truly amazing.

SS4001_zpscd99ce05.jpg

All of us getting ready to enjoy our Hot rocks meals (outstanding..even in a pouring rain in Hamilton, Bermuda)

SS4004_zps52b8669c.jpg

Pouring rain here in Bermuda, perfect evening for a movie night...Ida is enjoying Zero Dark Thirty now on in our suite...I went to the main bar and had Rommel prepare two large helpings of Dark Chocolate Grappa...we are in heaven :)

Stumblefoot, Wil is a true oenophile...tho tonight at Hot Rocks, went with the Head Sommelier's recommendation of Don Melchor (chilean) Cab to share with EnglishUsa and bsrkent, was mediocre at best...lesson learned trust your own palate. Tho we finished our wine package, will buy another tomorrow and will absolutely include another bottle, maybe two of Shafer's Relentless Syrah. Conversely speaking to the Don Melcher Cab, the Relentless Syrah belongs in everyone's wine collection--remarkable vintage.
Love how your gang makes the best of a wet situation! Looks like a good time was being had by all.

Sorry to hear about the Don Melchor Cab. Not tasted it myself, but know the producer, Concha y Toro, has received really good marks on it over the years. It's one of those Chilean wines that's really moved up in price, doubling in the last decade to nearly $100. I appreciate the feedback on it and won't seek it out. But, like you, I agree completely that folks should seek out the Relentless for their personal cellars. At $60, it's priced the same as it was in '01.

Looking forward to hearing about you next wine package, and the next, and the next too!

Archived