Silver Spirit Spring Crossing April 3-April 16th (Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon)

WesW

Awoke to very overcast grey skies with some fog as we sailed into the port of horta, located on faial island in the azores. Wind whistling by the door. Temp in the mid 60s.

This is a volcanic island with an eruption in 1957 which created a huge caldera. You can google the pictures of that. They are pretty impressive. Only 15,000 people on the island of 67 square miles.

Then all of a sudden, the wind whipped up more and we pulled away from the dock. Apparently the captain decided it is too windy to dock. We are now out at sea, lots of wind and movement.

George and I are very disappointed to miss horta as it was one of the main reasons we took this cruise. Not sure what we are going to do today, but it will be on the ship.

How disappointing to miss your first stop after so many sea days! We've missed St. John's in Newfoundland after 2 sea days coming over from Greenland, and sitting outside the harbor watching the port - so close, but so far away - is no fun at all! Hope that you make the best of your extra sea day... :(

NancyGP, Keith1010, Rally, Herman, Sweetpear711415, gf, Bramcruiser, all; thanks

again for your too kind words.

Nancy—you’re very welcome.

Keith, Your welcome—believe similarly to why Anne Marie and you post on board, it’s a way to give back to cruise critic, as well as keep friends and family informed. Highlighting the crew is tremendous fun as we get to know them better and they sincerely appreciate our efforts.

Rally—will ask Ricardo this morning.

Herman—Ida loves dancing, at lunch yesterday, one of the dance hosts Joe sat with us in La Terraza and told me what an outstanding dancer Ida is. Alas, due to the wind conditions our deck BBQ is canceled so showcasing their line dancing will have to wait. Speaking of our Cruise Director as Rachel mentioned above he does an exceptional daily Trivia—pls see Don dining with us last night in La Terraza below:

Kathy, thanks for the Atlanta weather updated. Our 3 b’s (bella, bailee, brandee) will definitely need good baths when we arrive home next Wednesday.

David, You’re more than welcome. Just told TxLadycruiser/Karen and Wayne yesterday on Facebook how excited we are for our mid July, Cloud/London Tower to Iceland and back voyage even tho we are on board the Spirit now.

Ida and I also look forward to meeting you David and sailing with you in Northern Europe enroute to Reykjavik.

We enjoyed another fabulous evening on board the Spirit, beginning with pre dinner drinks in the Panorama lounge, toasting our good fortune to be cruising. Pls see this pix:

003_zps10950b01.jpg

We met Cruise Director, Don Fluke and enjoyed a brief conversation before we all headed to La Terraza for dinner. Please enjoy these pictures of us dining.

004_zps66871694.jpg

006_zps8662927d.jpg

This osso bucco was outstanding:

008_zpsa55f34a0.jpg

Finally, we headed back to the Panorama Lounge for Karaoke where we enjoyed Cashipman/Craig wow the crowd with a wonderful rendition of New York, New York. Craig worked the crowd just like a pro. Before we started, told Madeline (SS artist leading Karaoke) she should have Craig go first, after he was done—she told me Craig was incredible.

031_zpsab518999.jpg

Was finishing this morning’s work out swimming laps in a calm/flat surface pook, when within a minute was swimming in a turbulent washing machine. I decided to end the swim early for safety. Went up to the Panorama, immediately was met by Bagyo who made cappuccino’s (togo cup for Ida, as she is still in the suite after dancing/hanging out with Craig/Wil’s friends Jodi and Mary in the Panorama last night until close to 2a.m). Then Rachel entered the Panorama and the Captain made the due to the wind (up to 45 mph) and sea conditions we could not safely dock in Horta. Alas, no port visit today, Rachel and George had a private tour arranged. Don Fluke immediately passed out a new daily activities schedule including two enrichment lectures (George Burns—by our TV/Comedy expert, and the Musical Life of Edith Piat, by broadway producer Steven Rivellino). Entertainment tonight will be Showtime Silversea Rebecca Franz and Gabriel St. Paul in In and Out of love.

Silversea Cruise Profile (SCP)

Today meet the ship’s entertainment technician, Edwin Cervantes:

lineedwinlilia009_zps05faa529.jpg

Edwin has worked with Silversea for over three years, he has two children at home in the Philipines. What Edwin enjoys most about SS is working here is like being in one large family, the atmosphere is cohesive and very friendly

Rachel and Wes thanks for the continued postings.

Sorry you missed your port but it looks like you are having such a great time on this crossing ports become less material.

All the food looks wonderful.

Wes, thanks for the great photos. Rachel, sorry about your shore excursion but at least you are on board a great ship. I am sitting here looking out the window at my big tree that is totally covered in ice. More winter. Keep the reports coming. I feel as though I am there with you. Elsie

Today meet the ship’s entertainment technician, Edwin Cervantes:

lineedwinlilia009_zps05faa529.jpg

Edwin has worked with Silversea for over three years, he has two children at home in the Philipines. What Edwin enjoys most about SS is working here is like

being in one large family, the atmosphere is cohesive and very friendly

Wes,can't thank you enough for hi lighting all the people who really make the ship what it is!...don't forget ,if you can,all the people in the laundry room,who keep all our clothes and towels fresh and fluffy! We will be on the Spirit in November and cannot wait.!

Emdee, Ducttape, Threechicks, Billcrooz, all..thanks for your kind words.

Bill, tried to set up Laundry crew members interviews but Paolo said the crew is brand new. So besides Lilia (Ukraine receptionist) am working with F&B mgr, Stephan to do the Provision folks tonight, then crew galley crew members Sunday.

We had a delightful lunch with Rachel, George, and OrgangeCountyMurphy/Colleen and Paul. Offered George our condolences for missing Rachel and his private tour and he said, I just wanted to get off the boat for some land time. We both have private excursions planned for tomorrow in Ponte Delgada--we're also hoping for good weather. Have arranged for four of us to have box lunches (if no quarantine for bringing food ashore is in place) Sun is out now--good jogging/swimming weather.

Wes,another great series of reviews.

Nice picture of you and Ida nursing a couple of cocktails.

Is limoncello still being poured in LT after dinner.I very nearly remember getting through a whole bottle one evening after dinner with the Chef.

Wes,are there Nespresso coffee machines in any of the suites aboard,I use them at home and am now seeing them in many top Hotels around the world.

Mr. Luxury/John; thank you--glad you're enjoying our posts..when dining now in La Terraza, after dinner u just need to request for Limoncello (will check if they have creamy Limoncello (our preference), believe the Silver suites come with a coffee machine..will ck the brand for you.

Stumblefoot--would have preferred the 04 or 07 vintage, but the 09 was still very good. Having another go with Shafer's Relentless tonight, looking forward.

Just did the Spirit's provision man crew member interview--fascinating...guess how many food & beverage items his team of three manages?

Stumblefoot--would have preferred the 04 or 07 vintage, but the 09 was still very good. Having another go with Shafer's Relentless tonight, looking forward.
Oh man... the '04 was a killer! Velvety and rich. Enjoy the Relentless tonight. I'm really hoping we'll find it aboard the Cloud in June.
Just did the Spirit's provision man crew member interview--fascinating...guess how many food & beverage items his team of three manages?
Boy, I have absolutely no idea. I'll guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 500. Looking forward to seeing the big reveal tomorrow after everyone chimes in with their vote.

After our leisurely lunch with Wes, Ida, Colleen, and Paul, I went to the gym. Not crowded at all, so 50 min on the elliptical was in order. Read a bit, listened to George pout about missing our port, then went to trivia where we missed only 2 and came in 2nd.

During trivia, the captain announced that we would be able to dock in ponta Delgada*at 7:45 this evening.

After trivia, I noticed something shining in the sky. Sure enough, the sun had appeared, so I joined George and Wes for a run around the top deck as the seas and wind have calmed to a more reasonable level. It was actually quite enjoyable. And land was in view.

We took a turn and were soon at ponta delgada. Dinner at la terraza with the trivia team. Lots of questions reviewed and debated. I had a delicious grouper while George again gravitated to his duck ragu pappardelle.

And yes, there is limoncello aboard. Just have to ask.

Stumblefoot. We will be on the Cloud for the 12 day Transatlantic on the 22nd. There are six of us all fans of the Relentless, can't promise any will be left for you. Make us an offer we can't refuse.
Ohhh palamoh... you are just down right ornery!

I hope you can find it in your heart to save me at least one bottle of Relentless (maybe two if it's the '08) and have the Maître D’ and Sommelier hide it under lock and key.

Have a great crossing! As you can tell, I'm just a bit excited about my first voyage aboard the Cloud.

Enjoy pix from last night, have to run to do tour of Ponte Delgada

004-4_zps615f77a6.jpg

Today meet the ship’s provision man Romeo Borlongan

001-8_zps4b9b4892.jpg

Romeo has worked with Silversea for over six years, he has two children at home in the Philippines. Romeo is responsible to ensure all 5000 provisions are stocked on board. Romeo and his two Provision crew members carefully monitor the stockage levels of such food and beverage items as mile, eggs and tomotatoes. What he enjoys most about SS is working in Provsions is the daily challenge of managing 5000 items. He feels his work is like going to the gym daily since provision work is hands on and so demanding. Romeo also likes the benefits Silversea provides.

Wes,another great series of reviews.

Nice picture of you and Ida nursing a couple of cocktails.

Is limoncello still being poured in LT after dinner.I very nearly remember getting through a whole bottle one evening after dinner with the Chef.

Wes,are there Nespresso coffee machines in any of the suites aboard,I use them at home and am now seeing them in many top Hotels around the world.

Mr. Luxury, if you cannot get Nespresso on board, the Pixie model, in it's carrying case (sold separately), can be easily packed in your luggage. Two weeks of capsules fit in the water reservoir.

We awoke this morning to very overcast skies, spitting rain, and WIND. Wind so hard even George was almost blown over. Temps in the high 50's.

We had a private excursion scheduled with Ricardo of amazing tours. He was right there at 8:15 to pick us up in his spotlessly clean van. He can take up to 8, but I had scheduled just for the two of us. He had told me ahead of time that what we would do depended on the weather, that he had a contingency plan for any weather.

Since the weather was really poor, he took us across the island to the north coast to some very beautiful views on the way the the tea fields and factory. Yes, they grow tea in the azores. This used to be big business, but now there are only 2 operations left. We got to tour the entire factory and see how both green and black tea are processed. And I bought some to take home.

Then we went to Furnas which is a town built around a bunch of hot springs, sort of like at Yellowstone or in Iceland. They have these ovens built into the ground that anyone can use. They are hollow cement cylinders. You bring your pot of meat and veggies with no water at all. You placed the covered pot in the oven and cover with dirt, leave for 6 hrs, comes back and the dinner is cooked, nice and tender.

THere is also a hot spring where they cook corn on the cob in the summer. We saw a fishing village, a bakery, a lake with huge fish, and lots of milk cows. Ricardo was an excellent driver and guide. He has taught himself English and speaks it well. I talked to some friends who did the ship's tours and was really glad we did ours with Ricardo. We got to see a lot more. The people who went to sete cidades ( the big volcano) could not see anything due to the fog and bad weather.

As we made it back to the ship, it started raining pretty hard, so we had lunch onboard then a good workout in the gym as we sailed away.

Forgot to let you know who we were having pre-dinner drinks (in above pix) and dinner in the main restaurant last nite. We invited the classical pianist, Halida Dinvova to have dinner with us. Pls see additional picture below:

005_zps0ee6bca4.jpg

Another cruise critic asked for a video of Halida hands playing, pls see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivVMUCehYrA&list=PL73D1C53F7D479085&index=2

This morning we enjoyed an outstanding private tour with Antonio of Festitours here in Ponte Delgada with Zqtchas/Charles and Elaine. Despite being cold, overcast, rainy and fog in the mountains we learned to appreciate the unique beauty “the Green island” Ponte Delgada offers. Ponte Delgada is one of nine islands of Portugal, population is near 140,000 with Dairy then Tourism comprising its major industry. We left the port and immediately asked Antonio to stop so we could snap some pix of the four hundred year old fort adjacent the pier.

pd003_zpsf14a8fb5.jpg

pd004_zpsdd7c6c2d.jpg

We drove about a minute later and parked in front of a major square in PD and snapped this picture of the square surrounded by the unique Plane trees found throughout this island. Next month during the first week of May, the square hosts the major annual festival for PD, centerpiece of this festival is the Catholic church in the square. We also snapped a pix of the Spirit. We then headed to the PD city market followed by a nice drive to fogged in Sete Cidades. Pls a few pix below and the next post.

pd005_zps54cb2e70.jpg

pd010_zps551d88eb.jpg

Archived