Silver Spirit Spring Crossing April 3-April 16th (Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon)

WesW

Yes Jeff,was that lemon big or the Dover sole small?

The chef surely would not be at the pass during every service.

Sous vide is always the way to go in any busy kitchen that wants to turn out consistently good food.

As Peter Kay would have said ... "how far away is that sole"!

As you well know, you devil's advocate peace-maker you ... it isn't just a matter of being at the pass. Staff would know exactly where the bar is set and I'm not clear that there is much standards control evidence. A half grilled tomato doesn't require a rosemary tree planted in it. It's normally knocked out of people during their first year at catering school. It takes no skill to cut a lemon proportionately, squarely and cleanly. The antipasti tray seemed a bit barren -where were the white anchovies, mortadella, marinaded mushrooms, etc etc? So much of this is so easily sorted and easily upgraded at negligible cost.

I really wanted to cut thought that fillet steak to see if that had been sou'ed It looked a little crusty but if they aren't using it for steaks then one wonders why.

That picture of the beef raised my hopes a bit. They simply need someone "in" with big boots.:D

Jeff, John, as I recall (almost two weeks ago) this beef was melt in your mouth and paired well with Amarone. As an aside, Sat & Sun nite we ate in the main dining room and Sat the filet mignon with bernaise sauce was the best prepared steak we've had at sea, we liked it so much we had it again Sunday. Paired best with the Shafer Relentless as the Caymus sp select now served on board (2010) is much too young.

p.s., just noted the Silversea blog's latest post offers you the chance to win a cruise if u book in April

http://blog.silversea.com/

p.s., just noted the Silversea blog's latest post offers you the chance to win a cruise if u book in April

http://blog.silversea.com/

I am not giving my TA the chance to win a Mercedes whilst he gives me a 12% discount on a cruise.:D

Good thought Wes,I need to be sure that there will be enough trivia gurus on the Spirit April 2014 cruise so that I can add value to the team.;)

The problem with on;y coming on to these boards once a day is that so much happens between viewings. Wes, I guess it's too late for me to ask you to say hello to Paul and Colleen. Anyway, glad you had such a great crossing. Enjoy Lisbon.

Wes, by now Ida and you are in the throws of going home and the usual minor let down, but I know you both carry fond memories along with you. I'll drop you a note before we leave this weekend to join the Cloud in Barbados.

You were so gracious to Jorge, I do know he will appreciate SS guests even more as your the result of your kind Hospitality. We have him booked for the three days following our May 4th debarkation in Lisbon. Looking forward to meeting him and of course using his services.

We are looking forward to our trip and plan to avoid the usual Cruise Tours, instead we will play Golf in all of the ports of call except Lisbon.

Safe Journey home.

We are looking forward to our trip and plan to avoid the usual Cruise Tours, instead we will play Golf in all of the ports of call except Lisbon.
A wine lover and a golfer too? Life doesn't get much better than that! Looking forward to hearing about the courses you're able to play on your upcoming trip.
Stumblefoot, of course I was just pulling your leg about the Relentless, of course we will leave you a bottle or two, but it has long been one of my favorites. One of my favorite Whites has long been a House Wine on all SS ships. CONUNDRUM, one doesn't always have to pay a heavy price to get a fine Wine and this Wine is a good example of this. Belive it is bottled by Caymas. Give me your thoughts on some other of your favorites.
You are right! Caymus, the maker of the wonderful "Special Selection" Wes knows all to well, produces Conundrum. It's amazing how steady this wine is year-in/year-out considering they produce nearly 100,000 cases/annually. I've always liked the refreshing acidity of the wine coupled with the fact it adds Viognier, Muscat Canelli and Sémillon to its unique blend of Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc all for just $20/bottle.

My absolute favorites at the moment include Kistler and Aubert (Chard & Pinot), Lewis (Cab), Tenimenti Luigi d'Alessandro (Syrah), Petrolo (Merlot), Vietti (Barolo), and just about any of the '06 Brunello di Montalcino Riservas.

I heard once that wine is best when it's a shared experience. What a wonderful thought! I hope to enjoy a glass (or two) with you during a future voyage aboard Silversea. Best Wishes!

Stumblefoot

Thanks for the Wine tips, I have made notes and will give them all a try. I have Long been a fan of Brunellos. I travel to Argentina about 3 - 5 times a year and have also developed a following of their Malbec's.

Yes, I'll let you know the Courses we will play. Portugal and Spain are a bit pricey, but with due deligence, one can find some of their Private Clubs to be in the ballpark of reasonable. For my wife and I, they are no more expensive than most of the Cruise Tours. I promise not to drink all the Relentless.

Just had to say thanks so much Wes (and Ida) for sharing your fantastic journey. I've been checking in each day and have thoroughly enjoyed catching up with you and appreciate you taking time to allow us to 'join' you.

You may be home already, but I hope you had (have) a safe trip.

Karin

Thanks all,

Henry...Jorge looks fwd to seeing u again and Paul and Colleen spoke favorably of your trivia skill set.

Mitch, fair winds and following seas for Sheila and your upcoming cloud crossing.

Emdee, you're very welcome

V8babe, thanks for your safe travel well wishes

we are now safely ensconced in the warm embrace of the Concorde Lounge in Heathrow. Lunch in the CL (included) was as delightful as being on board with a very nice Bollinger Brut Rose to pair with a light panini. We go wheels up in 3 hours and should be back in Atlanta by 7pm to squealing & barking b's (bailee, bella, brandee)...tho we miss the pax (our special cruise critic spring cross friends) and spirit crew already. Now, already doing mental preparation for our July Cloud cruise (London Tower to Reykjavik and back) another CC couple (TxLadycruiser and her DH) visit us in Atlanta this Tuesday (ida is making a very spicy Shrimp/Scallop fra diavolo) and then with Karen & Wayne, we'll get to share our pre cruise excitement and excursion plans (single malt anyone?). Ida is having our complimentary Elemis Spa (paired with British Airways) facial, I leave in a few minutes for mine.

Wes - many thanks for such a full account, and for the excellent photos, too. Hope our paths cross again before too long.

'Mr Luxury' - I wonder whether you might e-mail me to refer your travel agent who gives you 12% - it's a better rate than I get at the moment and I am currently planning my 2014 travels!!!

Great photo Wes and nice to see that Marcelo's beard is still going strong. I think it was new when he got on in LA at the begining of Feb.

Dear Wes.Fantastic to see the photos of Marcello and my 2 Brothers Joe and Brian also Isobel Joe,s wife..it was wonderful to meet you /speak to you and your lovely wife Ida..as usual we had yet another 1st.Class cruise on the Silver Spirit...loved every minute.....great Ship...great Crew...great Passengers and fantastic atmosphere..until next year around the Med....back home in Blantyre, Scotland..with so many many wonderful memories....safe cruising to you and Ida...until we meet again..best wishes always John Reynolds....(Scottish Family)

Threechicks/Elsie, Philipb/Philib; flyer2802/John, Joe, Brian, and Isobel; you're very welcome.

John, Joe, Brain, Isobel; Also, thanks to Marcelo's kindness for introducing us and absolutely concur with your outstanding spirit spring crossing comments--a magical crossing indeed. Ida and I will be in Scotland (Edinburgh, Lerwick, Stornoway Isle) in July as we sail on the Silver Cloud from London Tower Bridge on July 18th--we can't wait to visit your country.

We made it back to tulsa, but without luggage, as we were caught up in the craziness of the AA computer breakdown. Got to DFW and the departure screen showed solid cancelled flights. Fortunately they were able to get two flights off to tulsa about midnight, and we were on one, though exhausted since we had been up over 24 hrs by that time.

Luggage arrived yesterday by truck.

AA. Has already deposited 5000 miles in each of our accounts for the mess. Would have rather been home on time, but 5000 miles is better than nothing.

We made it back to tulsa, but without luggage, as we were caught up in the craziness of the AA computer breakdown. Got to DFW and the departure screen showed solid cancelled flights. Fortunately they were able to get two flights off to tulsa about midnight, and we were on one, though exhausted since we had been up over 24 hrs by that time. AA. Has already deposited 5000 miles in each of our accounts for the mess. Would have rather been home on time, but 5000 miles is better than nothing.
I heard about that nightmare and was glad I wasn't flying them yesterday. Glad to hear they at least got you out so that you didn't have to stay over in one of the DFW Hyatts. And, you're right, 5,000 miles (worth about $50) is certainly a nice, quick, customer service gesture on their part.

Welcome Home!

Palomoh/Mitch, gf/Kathy, UKCruiseJeff/Jeff, Emtbsam/Victoria; blushing..thanks but having way to much fun organizing meet & greets, cruising now exclusively on Silversea, to ever think about doing Travel Agent work. Happy to provide answers to fellow cruise critics where I can, am fortunate, to have the most responsive/generous TA pre/during/post cruise) on the planet--look to her/her agency to solve our complex cruise problems (which they do timely/every time).

Now to get back on the Spring Crossing topic, believe strongly in recognizing (besides SS end of cruise questionnaire) crew leaders/members who excelled. Pls see below--sent to President of SS (hope she in turn passes kudos down to ship leadership):

Hi Ellen (Ellen Bettride is President of Silversea/Americas)

Want to pass Kudos to the above & beyond performers from our recent Spirit spring cross:

a. Paolo, Hotel Director ran an outstanding ship with an engaging/friendly crew--bravo Paolo. Appreciate Paolo's and food & bev mgr Stephan's help gaining access to the behind the scenes SS crew members we profiled in our travel blog (examples at links below). Also, with the crew members permission posted their profile on facebook so there friends and families could read our positive comments. Often got feedback from these crew members that their friends saw their pix--smiles abounded.

post #45

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1820518&page=3

post #86

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1820518&page=3

b. Restaurant Mgr (Marcelo) and Exec chef (Ricardo) for providing outstanding & consistent (daily) cuisine in all dining venues.

c. Phraim (doubles as a room steward by night on deck six and an outstanding DJ at Panorama lounge at nite). Ida enjoyed Phraim's mixing/DJ work almost every nite until 2a.m.

d. Sommelier (Darwin) in La Terraza--truly provides intuitive service to guests.

e. Waiters; Ibrahim, Boyke, Marcelo in La Terrazza--outstanding service, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

f. Panorama barista Bagyo in early morning for providing intuitive, exceptional coffee service..before I could ask after my first day, he had Ida's to go cappuccino ready for me to take back to our suite for her.

g. Silversea Artist Madison for her wonderful line dancing classes and her outstanding Karaoke nite.

h. Mrya--best bar manager we have experienced in 15 cruises. Bravo Mrya!

Ellen have one request that I think SS can improve on. On our voyage there was not currency exchange on board. Thus, many of us when we arrived in Lisbon had to take a shuttle to downtown, go to a currency exchange and get Euros for our dollars. Strongly recommend SS provide this currency exchange service on board (other lux lines do this (e.g., Regent).

Finally, thanks for contracting with Cruise Critic for official Silversea and CC meet & greets. Hope we see soon posted on the Silversea board the rules for signing up for these new officially sponsored SS & CC meet & greets (i.e., minimum # of guest required to hold, possible location, name tags provided, etc)

Even after disembarking yesterday, we can't wait to board the Cloud (London tower bridge to Reykjavik and back) in July.

All the best, Wes

Ok, in an attempt to get back on topic--we loved our third Spirit crossing and appreciated Silversea having four different enrichment lecturers--all outstanding. We also have four enrichment lecturers scheduled for our fall Spirit crossing (Nov 9-25).

Wes, now that the dust has settled from your cruise do you have any thoughts about the Spirit itself against the Shadow/Whisper design and feel.

Will you just keep doing crossings on the Spirit or will you also sail on the other ships that Silversea has.

Archived