Silver Spirit Spring Crossing April 3-April 16th (Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon)

WesW

Wes,

Please send my best to Jorge. Tell him we may be in Lisbon soon and will contact him, of course.

Enjoy the rest of the crossing.

Henry,

Can you please e mail me re:Jorge to

Paulpepper at comcast dot net

Thanks,

Paul

Well, it seems the weather at the end of the trip was quite nice. It's probably nice having the overnight in Lisbon, especially if you wanted to enjoy a little nightlife off the ship. Safe travels home and we'll see you in November! Jeff

The weather forecast for today said 70F with 0% chance of rain. I am not a weather forecaster, but I would never say 0%. Say 1 or 2% to hedge your bet. At any rate, for the morning, the weather was off. Damp and chilly with intermittent rain, but at about 11, it cleared off and was warm.

We had a ship tour to Sintra and Cascais. Bus completely full but with a rep from the ship and the type of guide I like--to the point with just enough facts. Knows when to stop talking. Did not take us to her cousin's shop.

It rained on us all the way out of town and in Sintra. I am sure Sintra is a beautiful town, but it is hard to appreciate in rain and fog. The tiled sidewalks were steep and slick as ice. We poked around in some shops but didn't buy anything. I would like to go back on a nice day.

As soon as we left Sintra, it became bright and sunny. We had a nice drive over the mountains to the coast to Cascais. Love this town. It is a real functioning town rather than just a tourist place. Went to a bakery where we got some good bread and were the only tourists. Bought some port.

Back to the ship where we picked up Karen and Mark for a tour that I made up myself of Belem. We went to Os Jeronimo, a great hole in the wall place for lunch. Nice waiters, great prices and food. It is typical Portuguese. George had wild boar. I had fish with the head on. The waiter was kind enough to fix that for me.

Walked all over Belem. Great views along the river. Saw all the monuments. A fun time.

A win at trivia again with another perfect score! Then Colleen, Paul, George, and I went out in search of a wine store I had been to when were here before. I did not know the name or address. We had a taxi driver who spoke no English, so I was speaking to him in Spanish. But we found it.

Wonderful dinner in la terraza. This has been a really great cruise, despite the missed ports and some bad weather. We have met some really nice people and made great friends.

RachelG: A shame about Sintra - beautiful town; great views from the ruins of a huge Moorish castle on the top of the hill. Come to think of it, we would have appreciated a few sprinkles after the killer climb up to the castle! The Royal Palace is pretty neat too.

Next time, save some $$ and just take a local train. They leave from Rossio frequently, and cost 4 or 5 euros each way. Rossio is a bit of a walk from the cruise ship pier, but last time we were there, we berthed at a pier with a Metro stop right at the gangway, so it couldn't have been easier!

Belem is a great vista at every corner. Had to laugh about the fish with the head attached; we were served a whole PLATTER of them when we went out to dinner in a local place! It can be a bit disconcerting...:eek:

We have not been to Cascais yet but it's on our list for next time. Glad you had a great time in one of our favorite cities!

Wellseasoned, Emtbsam, to thesunset, wripro, Oregon, greygypsy, dusababy, all; again thanx for your kind words.

Victoria/Bob, we look fwd to sailing with y’all on the Fall Spirit cross too!

Tothesenset..anytime we recognize Vets is a good thing, thanks.

Henry, your name came up often at lunch…Paul & Colleen say you’re a cracker jack trivia team member.

Oregon…yes…alas..very sadly.

Jeff/susan, last two days have been wonderful weather wise.

MaryAnn, yes

Pls enjoy some jogging along the pier and La Terraz pix:

Montecristo:

jorge017-Copy-Copy_zpsc0d47982.jpg

The docks..good restauants along the pier where the Spirit is docked:

jorge013-Copy-Copy2_zps21363ac2.jpg

Henry The Navigator Monument: (discoveries monument)

http://www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing/discoveries.html

jorge023_zps3b50a19d.jpg

jorge024_zpsb6329eda.jpg

jorge022_zps0d0bc0fd.jpg

Good evening Wes and Ida,

Even though we've never sailed together, I feel like we are old friends. Your postings and pics were great appreciated. It's like we were there with you. Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation with all of us on CC.

I know Emtbsam, wripro, Duct Tape, dusababy, and others. Hope our paths will cross on a future Silversea voyage.

Thanks again for your kindness.

Sincerely,

ScottToronto

Up early this am to catch 8am flight to LHR then to home. I was assured there would be plenty of taxis waiting even at 5:30 am, and there were. However, the taxi drivers have a bit of a scam going. They charge a flat rate of 35 euro to the airport and refuse to use the meter if picking you up inside the port. I had researched and found the fare should be about 15 euro during the day. At 5:30 am, it would be a little more, but 35 euro is ridiculous. However, at 5:30 am, not much of a choice.

Yesterday, we had wanted to take a cab to Belem from the port. The only taxi driver at the port at that time quoted us 5 euro per person for 4 people with no luggage. I knew that was way too much as Belem is really close. He refused to use the meter, so I told him we would just walk. We walked over the drawbridge and hailed a taxi which took us there for 4.50 euro total by the meter.

So anyway, this am, when we go out to get the cab, the first driver in line is the guy who tried to rip us off yesterday. No way I was going to ride with him. I raised a stink, and the 2nd guy in line took us, but still had to pay 35 euro.

Ok, rant over. But anyone disembarking in lisbon needs to be aware.

Good morning all, and again thanks so much for your kind words, our sincere pleasure to share our silversea voyage with you in words and pix.

Paul, Mary Ann, Henry..will give Jorge your kind regards and let him know Henry you may see him soon. Paul, sent his email to you and will mention your desire to tour with him in June. Henry insisted on picking us up this a.m to take us to our hotel before tourning with Paul and Colleen. He surprised both of us with a reserve port for me and nice bouquet of flowers for Ida yesterday.

Save travels home fellow Spirit Fall crossers, Ida and I do the early morning dance to the Lisbon airport tomorrow. Arrive in Heathrow about 10:30, then due to our second fav hobby--collecting miles/points we will be fortunate to use the Concorde Lounge (cabana and massage) prior to flying pajama class home.

On board reports continue next from the Cloud in London, July 18th :)

Wes, I have enjoyed each one of your written posts along with all of the wonderful photos.

I wish you and Ida very safe travels and thank you so very much for allowing us to be part of your voyage through your posts and photos.

Keith

Alas we disembarked at 8:30 a.m., lots of hugs in La Terraza at breakfast with Donato, Marcello, Sandra, Marcelo, and the outstanding LT Sommelier (Darwin). Leaving deck five fond farewells to Paolo and the Reception team--all made a tad easier knowing most of them will be back on board the Spirit for our fall cross in November.

Now comfortably residing in the Marriott lounge using the complementary wifi (nice to not concern my self with my dwindling on board internet minutes)

Rachel, sorry to hear about George and your high priced taxi. Jorge said at very most you should pay no more than 20 euro. We shared our own taxi fare stories (e.g., we paid the taxi driver who gouged us double what we should have paid disembarking Istanbul last spring, but Jorge astoundingly just a few years ago, paid 400 pounds from Heathrow to his hotel vs 40 pounds.

Gil, Mitch and your very friendly family clan--safe travels home and enjoy your August cruise.

TotheSunset--good idea on a military get together on a future cruise. Pls join us on the fall crossing--we have two Navy vets and this old crusty Soldier.

Dusababy; Yes, M.A., we very gladly referred Jorje to OrangeCountyMurphy and Palamoh. Paul and Colleen are in for a real treat today, Sinitra/Lisbon is wonderfully sunny today. Jorge surprised us again letting us know he will pick us up at 6:30 a.m., tomorrow to drive us to the Lisbon airport. Jorge's generous driving services and Silversea made today's disembarkation the smoothest/stress free out of 15 cruises.

Will send President of Silversea, Ellen Bettridge our post cruise thoughts highlighting the above and beyond performers. Also, will ask her to pls consider having currency exchange on board--another pax and I had to use the shuttle just to exchange Dollars for Euros yesterday. Good service would be to provide this option on board with Receptin like many other lux lines do (e.g., Regent)

Shopping in Lisbon today for Ida have hidden her purse :)

Please enjoy some last pix taken last nite in the Panorama Lounge before dinner:

Pix of Mrya (bar mgr), GrandmaGil, Ida, Sondra:

533724_10200362528999387_1359844679_n.jpg

Two of our fav Spirit crewmembers who consistely provide outstanding service with beaming smiles shown here:

319950_10200362528599377_1786490446_n.jpg

And our last sunset (Lisbon) pix taken from the veranda deck at La Terraza:

526601_10200362527839358_1371339841_n.jpg

Wes, thanks so much for the trip report and especially the pics. I've very much enjoyed reading.

Miss the Spirit, well over a year since we last sailed on her. Must keep harrassing hubby to get another cruise booked asap!:rolleyes:

Enjoy your time in Lisbon.

best meal at 150 days at sea, at La Terraza tonight, some pix;

Main course:

007-1_zpsd9fadbc9.jpg

Desert, don't even ask:

Hi Wes,

As you know I'm really inquisiitve .. and it was great to see all your pictures,

I was particularly interested in this plate .... which appears to be from my take of your pictures the nicest meat you had of the pictures you posted and you specifically mentioned was the best meal you'd had in 150 days.

It appears to be almost certainly prepared sous vide.

Did you find the texture really soft ie sort of "melt in the mouth" and flavourful ie in no way tough?

Thanks.

Jeff

Wes,thank you for your time spent keeping us all informed on what loooked to be a very nice trip.

You did have me worried about your Addidas formal attire,if it was before 18.00 you are ok.

Look forward to a report once you are back home and have had time to reflect on other aspects of your trip.

Yes Jeff it does look like it was cooked sous vide,who is she anyway.

Certainly looks melt in the mouth.

Sue? Great girl.

It's not possible to get that consistency through the joint any other way .... ;)

If it is it's an excellent sign - it just begs the question why isn't greater use being made of it. It would propel their kitchen. Some of the rest of the pictures - particularly presentation - questions the level they have in the kitchens and whether the chef is actually present at "the pass" .

I did enjoy that jaunty piece of pippy lemon on the fish .... and they are clearly growing a rosemary bush in the kitchen ..... :D

Hopefully Wes will confirm flavour and texture of the meat.

Sue? Great girl.

It's not possible to get that consistency through the joint any other way .... ;)

If it is it's an excellent sign - it just begs the question why isn't greater use being made of it. It would propel their kitchen. Some of the rest of the pictures - particularly presentation - questions the level they have in the kitchens and whether the chef is actually present at "the pass" .

I did enjoy that jaunty piece of pippy lemon on the fish .... and they are clearly growing a rosemary bush in the kitchen ..... :D

Hopefully Wes will confirm flavour and texture of the meat.

Yes Jeff,was that lemon big or the Dover sole small?

The chef surely would not be at the pass during every service.

Sous vide is always the way to go in any busy kitchen that wants to turn out consistently good food.

Archived