Venice Sailaway

Woobstr112G

Question regarding sailaways from Venice. Awhile back, I heard they were going to stop allowing cruise ships to sail through the Grand Canal while arriving and departing Venice as they would be re-routed to follow cargo ship routes. Are there any recent visitors to Venice that can confirm if the policy has in fact been implemented.

Thanks in advance for the replies.....:):):)

Bob

I would post this on the Italy Ports Of Call Board.

Keith

Already did. Just wanted to post here as well.

In October, on the Crown Princess, we sailed up the Grand Canal. No change as of then

Thanks for the info.....:):):)

Bob

Maybe I'm missing something here. To my knowledge, the Grand Canal winds from the South near San Marco square to the North near the train station. Cruise ships do not actually enter the Grand Canal. They do go by the southern entrance to the Grand Canal (across from San Giorgio Maggiore). Then they proceed to the ship terminal on the western side of Venice. There is concern that the wakes from large ships are causing damage and you will possibly see some signs asking that cruise ships go away. The view while approaching the terminal is magnificent. However, it is not via the Grand Canal.

Maybe I'm missing something here. To my knowledge, the Grand Canal winds from the South near San Marco square to the North near the train station. Cruise ships do not actually enter the Grand Canal. They do go by the southern entrance to the Grand Canal (across from San Giorgio Maggiore). Then they proceed to the ship terminal on the western side of Venice. There is concern that the wakes from large ships are causing damage and you will possibly see some signs asking that cruise ships go away. The view while approaching the terminal is magnificent. However, it is not via the Grand Canal.

Yes I know it's not actually the Grand Canal, but it's usually referred to as such.

Bob

Yes I know it's not actually the Grand Canal, but it's usually referred to as such.

Bob

That is a relief. I wondered how a ship with 16 decks was going to fit under Realto bridge. :)

I think when we sailed away from Marrittima we went into open sea fast. It's on the way back we sailed slowly in a canal, and this is when we took those wonderful photos. I am sure it was not the Grand canal, but the one to the south if you look at the map.

Archived