Marriage Certificate

bcredmon

I've heard that married women need to take their marriage certificate but I can't find mine and I sail in 2 weeks. I do have a passport and the name on it and my name on my I.D. are the same. So I should be ok without the marriage certificate right?

I've heard that married women need to take their marriage certificate but I can't find mine and I sail in 2 weeks. I do have a passport and the name on it and my name on my I.D. are the same. So I should be ok without the marriage certificate right?

You would only need your marriage license if you passport name had changed because of marriage. If it has your current name then you should be all set.

You need your marriage certificate if your passport name is different than the name on your boarding documents. If they are the same then you are all set with just your passport.

Also, some cruise lines need a marriage certificate if both passengers are under their "age limit" to sail. But, they will make acceptions for a married couple who are both under this age limit, but they need to prove that they are married...

Over 90 cruises and I've never been asked for my marriage certificate. As it is, I always have a copy in my carryon but I haven't figured out yet why I bother. :D

Have a great cruise.

You need your marriage certificate if your passport name is different than the name on your boarding documents. If they are the same then you are all set with just your passport.

The usual reason for bringing marriage certificate is when you are using birth certificate and drivers license, rather than passport for ID, and your birth certificate name does not match license because of name change.

These!

Make bookings in the name on your passport and use it . . . Works for air and cruise.

I travel with a copy of my marriage certificate because I didn't change my name. I've never been asked for it and noticed on cruise bookings they list me as 'Mrs.' - perhaps to indicate we're married? I only carry it in the event of an emergency, say one of us is hospitalized, where it might be necessary to prove we're married despite different last names.

I travel with a copy of my marriage certificate because I didn't change my name. I've never been asked for it and noticed on cruise bookings they list me as 'Mrs.' - perhaps to indicate we're married? I only carry it in the event of an emergency, say one of us is hospitalized, where it might be necessary to prove we're married despite different last names.

I never thought about the emergency hospitalization aspect. Bringing a copy is a good idea.

We travel on passports.

Should I lose my passport, those who tout the ability to cruise on B/C and Drivers License may appreciate the alternative available to me if necessary. If I have my B/C, marriage license and photo ID, I can enter U.S. from that closed loop cruise we speak of almost daily. :) It is an alternative ID to be used in an emergency, if necessary.

With a passport and the names matching, there is no need for your marriage license. My wife only bring her passport on our international trips.

Agree but I haven't and will not be changing my last name to match my husband. Since there isn't really any information on the marriage license i figure I'll start putting it with the copy of our passports.

Agree but I haven't and will not be changing my last name to match my husband. Since there isn't really any information on the marriage license i figure I'll start putting it with the copy of our passports.

Name on the passport or other travel/id docs matching name on the booking and airline ticket. If the spouses names are not matching, it's not a big deal.

I'm confused. Why would you ever have to prove that you are married? If John Doe and Jane Smith want to cruise together no one is going to stop them. Lots of women don't change their names when they marry anymore and it's not required that they do so. A cruise line isn't going to know or care. As long as everyone's name matches their travel docs, it doesn't matter what your marital status is. Heck, the two of you could even be married -- but to other people :-p

I'm confused. Why would you ever have to prove that you are married? If John Doe and Jane Smith want to cruise together no one is going to stop them. Lots of women don't change their names when they marry anymore and it's not required that they do so. A cruise line isn't going to know or care. As long as everyone's name matches their travel docs, it doesn't matter what your marital status is. Heck, the two of you could even be married -- but to other people :-p

It's not proving that you're married, but it's a "bridge" document if your booking name and the name on the birth certificate aren't the same. If you travel with a passport, this is an non-issue as long as the name on your passport matches exactly the name on your booking.

BUT, if the cruisers are underage, which means that they're under age 21, and they're married, they definitely need their marriage certificate to prove that they are married and therefore legal to cruise while underage.

Archived