Tipping in Australia and New Zealand

It has nothing to do with their profession at all. But the manner in which they spoke of people posting on this thread and attempting to validate those comments on the basis they had professional competence to do so. But the irony is that if they were in that specific profession they would not have made those comments.

We could all be shrinks and no one could give a toss.

I'm tipping they won't be back. :). See Sutho, there is tipping in Australia after all.

It has nothing to do with their profession at all. But the manner in which they spoke of people posting on this thread and attempting to validate those comments on the basis they had professional competence to do so. But the irony is that if they were in that specific profession they would not have made those comments.

I'm tipping they won't be back. :). See Sutho, there is tipping in Australia after all.

It was the insulting and denigrating comments that caused a stir. Anyway, most of us seem to think it is all so funny. :D:D

I am certainly never going to admit that I am a professional .........? or else peoplemay want my advice about unrelated topics.:D

I am certainly never going to admit that I am a professional .........? or else peoplemay want my advice about unrelated topics.:D

I have been hairdressing for 48 yrs, if anyone is qualified to psychoanalyse someone ..its me:D

People always go to the hairdresser when they are having a melt down..;)

And cab drivers are known to give the odd " life " tip too....:p

I have been hairdressing for 48 yrs, if anyone is qualified to psychoanalyse someone ..its me:D

People always go to the hairdresser when they are having a melt down..;)

And cab drivers are known to give the odd " life " tip too....:p

We have strict rule in my salon for a few of our clients, Psychiatrist appointment BEFORE hair appointment - NEVER the other way round. We dont charge enough to deal with those issues, we just do good hair!

We have strict rule in my salon for a few of our clients, Psychiatrist appointment BEFORE hair appointment - NEVER the other way round. We dont charge enough to deal with those issues, we just do good hair!

I am fortunate enough to just have a barber that limits talk to the footy (past and present), he just chats with no ananlysis of my wellbeing. There is no need for prescription medication afterward either.:D

Where and when do we tip? Taxi, restaurant, McDonalds, Supermarket?

And how much? 10% 20% ?

Hi Sparky,

I live in California and here is my advice regarding tourist tipping in the States.

Taxi, sit down restaurants, & bars...tipping is customary.

No tipping in supermarkets or fast food restaurants such as McDonalds.

The tipping range for bars and restaurants is 15 to 20%.

I usually tip the taxi driver 10% of the fare, plus two dollars for each piece of luggage.

A word about restaurant tipping, and I cannot stress this enough...

Always look over the bill for a fine print statement that a service charge has been added. If added, then do not give an additional tip unless you desire to do so.

If your group is 6 people or more, most restaurants will automatically add an 18% service charge. The same advice applies as from the above.

Some servers are very greedy and will try to bully you into tipping more.

For example, I once tipped 25% on an expensive meal for four people.

I tipped more than I usually do because I thought the service was exceptional.

When I was leaving the restaurant, the server approached me and asked if something was wrong with the service.:mad:

Another poster recommended keeping plenty of one and five dollar bills on hand.

One trick is that if you pay with a large bill, the server might claim they can't make change, or they keep you waiting so long for your change that you get fed up and leave without it.

Speaking of large bills, never pay with $50 or $100 notes.

Many places will not accept them because they are the denominations most likely to be counterfeited.

Therefore, carry no larger than $20 bills.

Hope this helps.:)

I know after dealing with some clients, I need a valium..!!;)

One trick is that if you pay with a large bill, the server might claim they can't make change, or they keep you waiting so long for your change that you get fed up and leave without it.

Yes, this happened to us once in a restaurant in Vancouver. The bill for lunch was $21 and I only had a $50 note. We gave it to the waiter and waited for our change...... which never came. So I asked to see the waiter, which took another 10 minutes, he came back finally and said that he had forgot and would go and get the change.... another 10 minutes and he must have realised that we were not going to go away, so he gave us our change. I told him I was originally going to give him a $9 tip even though the service was atrocious (it was the worst service we had on that trip), but because he acted like this he was going to sing Dixie for his $9 tip and gave him $2.10 instead.

When we were in the USA our NY friend said the easiest thing to do was pay the same amount in tips as the tax written on the bill. Saved all the calculations.

Yes, tipping in the States is as easy as pie (+ service charge). Always read the fine print on the menu is probably the best advice there, tipping twice is for those who can't read.:D

Thanks for the tips, rumpelstiltskin! :D. Seriously, though, your post is helpful. Tipping is a minefield when you're not accustomed to it. :)

We had to get a cab in Denver once, we had arrived 8 hrs late with plane delays, so missed our prior booked shuttle, it was 1am in the morning so a cab was the only option, and it was a fair distance to where we were going to stay..( on the way out of town for a quick early getaway)

When we got in the cab, I asked him what it was going to cost us ..ALL UP..for EVERYTHING..to go the distance..meaning what it was going to cost for fare, tax and including his tip...he said 120.00.. So I got 120 out of my purse in the cab, while I could see in my purse with the light on..

When we arrived , I gave him the 120..

He turned to me and said..quite angrily..

"But, what about my tip ? !!!"

So had to give him another $ 25..

I don't think he would have let us out of the cab, and by now it was about 2am..

I told him I was originally going to give him a $9 tip even though the service was atrocious (it was the worst service we had on that trip)' date=' but because he acted like this he was going to sing Dixie for his $9 tip and gave him $2.10 instead.[/quote']

You handled the situation perfectly.

It's generally frowned upon to not tip the server for poor service.

But a small tip for poor service and an explanation as to why the tip is reduced is the way to go.

When we were in the USA our NY friend said the easiest thing to do was pay the same amount in tips as the tax written on the bill. Saved all the calculations.

This works in NY because their sales tax is much higher than in other parts of the country.

Where I live, the tax is 9% & considered a poor tip.

Thanks for the tips, rumpelstiltskin! :D. Seriously, though, your post is helpful. Tipping is a minefield when you're not accustomed to it. :)

You're welcome.

It was the least I could do, because I came to this thread seeking info regarding Down Under tipping advice.

:)

This works in NY because their sales tax is much higher than in other parts of the country.

Where I live, the tax is 9% & considered a poor tip.

Oh dear, just when I thought I had it all sussed out. :o

Those of you who been to the USA have no doubt been on shuttle buses and tour buses, where there is a basket for tips alongside the driver and a sign displayed with the words e.g. ..'Waiters, Bellboys and Barmen like tips, Bus Drivers and Tour Guides Drivers have families, so we like tips too.'

A Subtle reminder to tourists. But a little brazen in my opinion. In other words they are telling tourists to get their money out !!!!!!!!!!!

Those of you who been to the USA have no doubt been on shuttle buses and tour buses, where there is a basket for tips alongside the driver and a sign displayed with the words e.g. ..'Waiters, Bellboys and Barmen like tips, Bus Drivers and Tour Guides Drivers have families, so we like tips too.'

A Subtle reminder to tourists. But a little brazen in my opinion. In other words they are telling tourists to get their money out !!!!!!!!!!!

Ah yes, I forgot to mention those.

And I agree that the sign is brazen.

It used to be that the tipping custom was optional to reward good service.

Now it is expected, and that is not right.

The tipping custom in the States is not going away any time soon.

It is all par for the course, each country has their own wage structure and the US has a gratuity custom to supplement the weekly wage.:D

Sorry for bursting your bubble.:p

Well, I could double your tax then!

As far as tipping the bus drivers, that gets rather expensive when you are doing the HoHo buses and might only go one stop.

Any idea how much bus drivers get paid?

I know the wage structure and regs for retail as I worked there myself, but as you say I'd have thought their wages would be sufficient. Or is the new market that they work for free and just live off tips as well?

Any idea how much bus drivers get paid?

I know the wage structure and regs for retail as I worked there myself, but as you say I'd have thought their wages would be sufficient. Or is the new market that they work for free and just live off tips as well?

I have no idea what a bus driver's salary is, but it is not a high paying job for certain.

I don't know of any industry where employees work for free and depend solely on tips.

But there are jobs that pay below the minimum wage, such as restaurants.

Archived