Tipping in Australia and New Zealand

Lol, my wedding was a cheap Aussie wedding. I didn't even pay OR tip the minister, let alone the organist (who was my grandfather, so probably not expecting a tip). None of the servers were tipped, not even the bar tenders. Hehehe

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Lol, my wedding was a cheap Aussie wedding. I didn't even pay OR tip the minister, let alone the organist (who was my grandfather, so probably not expecting a tip). None of the servers were tipped, not even the bar tenders. Hehehe

Ah the joys of living in a non tipping culture....where everyone is paid a living wage and you can do things just for the love! It's actually very liberating.

Here in the States, some servers will fake an accent to charm the customer in hopes of a larger tip.

I discovered this once on a trip to San Antonio, Texas. The server faked an Aussie accent, but I could still hear a slight Texas drawl beneath it.

The service was average, so was my tip.

On the other hand, which is more useful to those of you who travel to the States:

If a server flatters you because of your accent, do not be deceived. They are hoping that flattery will get them everywhere.

We were dining out with my British MIL who rarely tips.

The server was falling all over herself flattering MIL about her accent to the point of being borderline obnoxious.

MIL was eating it up, but I knew what the end result would be.

I don't mean to sound critical of my own country, but it certainly seems that if the service industry would pay the staff adequately and get rid of the tipping system...then everyone involved could retain their dignity.

I don't mean to sound critical of my own country, but it certainly seems that if the service industry would pay the staff adequately and get rid of the tipping system...then everyone involved could retain their dignity.

Totally agree with you! :thumbup:

Here in the States, some servers will fake an accent to charm the customer in hopes of a larger tip.

I discovered this once on a trip to San Antonio, Texas. The server faked an Aussie accent, but I could still hear a slight Texas drawl beneath it.

The service was average, so was my tip.

On the other hand, which is more useful to those of you who travel to the States:

If a server flatters you because of your accent, do not be deceived. They are hoping that flattery will get them everywhere.

We were dining out with my British MIL who rarely tips.

The server was falling all over herself flattering MIL about her accent to the point of being borderline obnoxious.

MIL was eating it up, but I knew what the end result would be.

Yes, but no system is perfect (some are just closer than others).:D

When you get married in a church that, at the time, was reputed to have the most magnificent carillon in the Southern Hemisphere, you just have to use those bells. ;) They were beautiful. :)

:thumbup:

I don't know how the land of the free (market) would go with a centralised wage system.

There are an awful lot of business interests (including the cruiselines, though much of their finances are offshore) who would HATE the idea of paying more - a lot more - in wages.

I don't know how the land of the free (market) would go with a centralised wage system.

There are an awful lot of business interests (including the cruiselines, though much of their finances are offshore) who would HATE the idea of paying more - a lot more - in wages.

We may live in a global economy but it certainly is not a level playing field for international trade in terms of wages, conditions, Government subsidies, taxes, etc. It would not just be America that would suffer, every country would be effected.:D

I'm not sure other countries would 'suffer' by America moving to a centralised wage system.

Particularly as we're talking about personal service industries... it's hard to outsource a waiter or hairdresser offshore! :p:D

I'm not sure other countries would 'suffer' by America moving to a centralised wage system.

Particularly as we're talking about personal service industries... it's hard to outsource a waiter or hairdresser offshore! :p:D

Their economy would buckle under the weight of increased wages, which in turn has global ramifications if the US economy dives.:D

Their economy would buckle under the weight of increased wages, which in turn has global ramifications if the US economy dives.:D

The Australian economy is one of the strongest in the world at the moment... ;)

The Australian economy is one of the strongest in the world at the moment... ;)

While our economy is relatively strong compared to a lot of other countries, our dollar flucuates with the highs and lows of the global economy and that strength can evaporate very quickly.:D

Ah, so you're also saying you don't believe it would be a realistic change for the US.

I think the US (as with many other peoples) have shown resilience and could achieve it if there was willpower. Of course, like here, many complain and try to take the easy option.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't as clear as I thought... My point was that paying a decent wage doesn't necessarily mean that an economy will crash, not that Australia wouldn't be impacted by America...

Ah, so you're also saying you don't believe it would be a realistic change for the US.

I think the US (as with many other peoples) have shown resilience and could achieve it if there was willpower. Of course, like here, many complain and try to take the easy option.

The US will not even vote for taxing the ultra rich a bit more to pay for health care for all, so providing a fair wage would be too much for them to allow.:D

Archived