Tipping in Australia and New Zealand

thanks for the menu price but no thanks, out of our price range

we'll stop home and buy a kilo of prawns, some ham and a bit of salad, something nice and easy

Same here, we retirees cannot afford $300 odd for a Xmas feed. It takes careful saving each fortnight to fund our cruise adventures! Perhaps I should purchase a hair dressing salon and drive cabs !!!!!!!! Sorry, not nice that, Sutho is rubbing off on me. Where is the lad?

Same here, we retirees cannot afford $300 odd for a Xmas feed. It takes careful saving each fortnight to fund our cruise adventures! Perhaps I should purchase a hair dressing salon and drive cabs !!!!!!!! Sorry, not nice that, Sutho is rubbing off on me. Where is the lad?

I didnt say we were going;)

if you read about our last time there for a wedding, you would understand another reason why, and no we would not pay it either..

I have cooked an extensive menu for 50 for a wedding at home for $1,000.

We have looked at having Christmas lunch 'outside' in recent times - as the kids have grown to adults & no littlies as yet, it just seemed to be a good option - let someone else do the prep, cooking and cleanup etc. so all can enjoy Christmas day.

Not much around for less than $120 per head, so it's been alternate between our place and SIL's.

Yes - obviously triple time is 300% and that is the rate in some awards. :)

I was in a job once where I was on call for public holidays like Xmas and the like. Triple time was the norm but still not worth it. Luckily being on cal meant only having to go to an emergency job, most people would put it off until the normal week and charges.:D

Yes - obviously triple time is 300% and that is the rate in some awards. :)

I wasnt saying that 150% was triple time.( but did say that mothballs was cheated for not getting extra)

I was quoting what is on the Fair Work Ombudsmans site, that site tells what the pay rate is..for every trade, service etc. for every state.

at todays rates.

the rate of 150% (plus whatever else applies)was for restaurants and cafes in the state of Qld for working on Public holidays.

there is no mention of 300% for food outlets in Qld.

maybe NSW or Vic is diff.

I was in a job once where I was on call for public holidays like Xmas and the like. Triple time was the norm but still not worth it. Luckily being on cal meant only having to go to an emergency job, most people would put it off until the normal week and charges.:D

when i was in the workforce i had a government job and the way the roster worked out i had to work every public holiday but i paid so much more in tax

150% might apply for most public holidays, but Christmas day and Good Friday are a whole different ballgame (at least they have been historically) with extra penalties applying.

And so they should - 300% wages could never entice me or any of my family away from our Christmas dinner. Life is so short and some things are just worth more than money.

150% might apply for most public holidays, but Christmas day and Good Friday are a whole different ballgame (at least they have been historically) with extra penalties applying.

And so they should - 300% wages could never entice me or any of my family away from our Christmas dinner. Life is so short and some things are just worth more than money.

Seems to depend what website you look at for the hospitality trade wages..:confused:

Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2010 states:

32. Penalty rates

32.1 An employee performing work on the following days will be paid the following percentage of the minimum wage rate in clause 20 for the relevant classification:

Full-time and part-time

Monday to Friday 100%

Saturday 125%

Sunday 175%

Public Holiday 250%

Casual (inclusive of the 25% casual loading)

Monday to Friday 125%

Sat 150%

Sun 175%

Public Hol 275%

There is still no mention of 300%

ahh...so you did know where it was being held..:)

Au contraire.:D

At the time I inquired, I was looking at several places. Can't remember all the names.

But we finally booked lodging at the Novetel & will probably book their Christmas Lunch...if I can convince Hubby:)

I'm looking forward to an Aussie Christmas.

I've never had Christmas Pudding before. Is it the same pudd as Figgy Pudding, that is sung about in the famous Christmas carol?

Au contraire.:D

At the time I inquired, I was looking at several places. Can't remember all the names.

But we finally booked lodging at the Novetel & will probably book their Christmas Lunch...if I can convince Hubby:)

I'm looking forward to an Aussie Christmas.

I've never had Christmas Pudding before. Is it the same pudd as Figgy Pudding, that is sung about in the famous Christmas carol?

I hope you enjoy it, yes, Christmas pudding is full of fruit and brandy, delicious with some cream or Brandy custard.:D

How do you define exceptional service?

Perhaps this is a better explanation than the one I previously gave:

One time when I was a student and single, I couldn't find a friend to accompany me to dinner at my favorite restaurant one particular evening.

So I went alone, but at an early hour (late afternoon) while it was uncrowded.

The waitress seated me and asked if I was expecting anyone to join me later. I let her know I would be dining alone.

As I sat alone at my table reading my book, I noticed a man checking me out as he walked by my table enroute to the men's room.

When he returned, he sat down at my table uninvited. He proceeded to tell me his life's story as I sat there stunned and speechless that he would exhibit such chutzpah.

Suddenly, the waitress appeared and asked if everything was all right.

The man jumped out of the chair as if a fire had been lit under him and said in a panicked tone, "Everything is all right!"

Then he quickly left the restaurant.

I asked her to bring me my dessert to eat right away, and box up my dinner when it was ready. I was too shaken to stay and finish my meal.

Because she looked out for my safety, I left her a 50% tip.

And I took a different route home, making sure I wasn't being followed.

Perhaps this is a better explanation than the one I previously gave:

One time when I was a student and single, I couldn't find a friend to accompany me to dinner at my favorite restaurant one particular evening.

So I went alone, but at an early hour (late afternoon) while it was uncrowded.

The waitress seated me and asked if I was expecting anyone to join me later. I let her know I would be dining alone.

As I sat alone at my table reading my book, I noticed a man checking me out as he walked by my table enroute to the men's room.

When he returned, he sat down at my table uninvited. He proceeded to tell me his life's story as I sat there stunned and speechless that he would exhibit such chutzpah.

Suddenly, the waitress appeared and asked if everything was all right.

The man jumped out of the chair as if a fire had been lit under him and said in a panicked tone, "Everything is all right!"

Then he quickly left the restaurant.

I asked her to bring me my dessert to eat right away, and box up my dinner when it was ready. I was too shaken to stay and finish my meal.

Because she looked out for my safety, I left her a 50% tip.

And I took a different route home, making sure I wasn't being followed.

Thank you for both of your replies.

Archived