Tipping in Australia and New Zealand

In General Christmas lunch at the major hotels would include quiet a lavish buffet, beer and wine inclusive (no mixed drinks) and also plenty of entertainment. We have done these lunches on a few occasions and that is what is typical.

I just did some quick Google research on Christmas Day Lunches and that price seems at the top end of typical for a lavish buffet at a 4-5 star hotel and probably all-inclusive, possibly some entertainment as well.

However check out the Christmas Day harbour-cruise buffets. You might find they are better value although they are less likely to include drinks. Lunch and cruise could cost less that $100 although prices vary widely depending on inclusions and which boat you are on.

For Christmas Lunch that would probably be fairly normal. Keep in mind that all the staff would be paid triple time (probably around $70 per hour) and the employer has to make superannuation contributions of 9% of the employees wage (so even more for Christmas day).

On non-holiday periods obviously the cost of a meal would be much less - probably closer to $50 pp (depending on where you went of course).

One of my sons took me (and his wife) out for Mother's Day. I think it cost $90 pp plus drinks.

For Christmas Lunch that would probably be fairly normal. Keep in mind that all the staff would be paid triple time (probably around $70 per hour) and the employer has to make superannuation contributions of 9% of the employees wage (so even more for Christmas day).

On non-holiday periods obviously the cost of a meal would be much less - probably closer to $50 pp (depending on where you went of course).

One of my sons took me (and his wife) out for Mother's Day. I think it cost $90 pp plus drinks.

Noosa Boathouse this yr will be charging 159.00 for a smorgasbord lunch on Christmas Day..I know that they were paying staff $62.50 an hr in 2009 for those who worked Xmas day.

The Villa Noosa is just a pub/tavern , they charged $120 last yr for buffet lunch.

Noosa Boathouse this yr will be charging 159.00 for a smorgasbord lunch on Christmas Day..I know that they were paying staff $62.50 an hr in 2009 for those who worked Xmas day.

The Villa Noosa is just a pub/tavern , they charged $120 last yr for buffet lunch.

$159 for Chrissie Lunch? Crikey, my golf club does it for $10. (Roast Turkey/Ham and Veggies.) AND no tippng required.

$150 for a Christmas buffet lunch actually sounds pretty reasonable to me. One has to take into account triple time wages (and triple price seafood) on Christmas Day.

Can I just offer an alternative opinion on tipping in Australia? For me and most people I know, tipping is fairly standard practice at restaurants with table service. Usually about 10% but sometimes up to 20%

And I have been known to tip my hairdresser, too. I was taught to do so by my mother back in the 70s - 80s. Nobody ever seems surprised or insulted, either.

Perhaps there are regional differences in this? I live in Sydney, but I am on vacation in Port Douglas at the moment. We split a dinner with friends the other night, and both parties factored in a tip without even discussing it!

for that kind of price the tip has been included in the price of lunch

The $159 that I quoted for the Noosa Boathouse buffet does NOT include the tip..( and its $75 for kids)

Look it up if you think you are right.

But you are Not;)

But it does include some beverages.

http://www.boathouserestaurant.com.au/images/Christmas-RiverRoom-Menu2013.jpg

$150 for a Christmas buffet lunch actually sounds pretty reasonable to me. One has to take into account triple time wages (and triple price seafood) on Christmas Day.

Can I just offer an alternative opinion on tipping in Australia? For me and most people I know, tipping is fairly standard practice at restaurants with table service. Usually about 10% but sometimes up to 20%

And I have been known to tip my hairdresser, too. I was taught to do so by my mother back in the 70s - 80s. Nobody ever seems surprised or insulted, either.

Perhaps there are regional differences in this? I live in Sydney, but I am on vacation in Port Douglas at the moment. We split a dinner with friends the other night, and both parties factored in a tip without even discussing it!

If you are getting table service in any restuarant around the world, tipping is standard (just check the menu first as sometimes they inclusde it in the bill).:D

What's this triple time business? I have worked in a few different industries over the years and have worked many a Christmas, Boxing Day and public holiday and have never received triple time.

Regards Elaine.

What's this triple time business? I have worked in a few different industries over the years and have worked many a Christmas, Boxing Day and public holiday and have never received triple time.

Regards Elaine.

Well you have been cheated..

This is taken from the Fair Work website..

34.4 Additional provisions for work on public holidays

(a) An employee other than a casual working on a public holiday must be paid for a minimum of four hours' work.

(b) A casual employee working on a public holiday must be paid for a minimum of two hours' work.

© Employees who work on a prescribed holiday may, by agreement, perform such work at a rate of 150% of the relevant minimum wage in clause 20 - Minimum wages, rather than the penalty rate prescribed in clause 34.1, provided that equivalent paid time is added to the employee's annual leave or one day instead of such public holiday will be allowed to the employee during the week in which such holiday falls. Provided further that such holiday may be allowed to the employee within 28 days of such holiday falling due.

(d) An employee other than a casual working on Christmas Day when it falls on a weekend must be paid an additional loading of 50% of their ordinary time rate for the hours worked on that day and will also be entitled to the benefit of a substitute day.

The $159 that I quoted for the Noosa Boathouse buffet does NOT include the tip..( and its $75 for kids)

But you are Not;)

thanks for the menu price but no thanks, out of our price range

we'll stop home and buy a kilo of prawns, some ham and a bit of salad, something nice and easy

Being a hairdresser I have never worked on Xmas day, and have also had my own biz since '74, and as we all know, the boss never gets any extra..lol..

My poor ol cabbie husband still only gets the same pathetic rate regardless of it being Xmas day, Easter or whenever..

In regards to the triple pay scenario, it seems to depend on what type of work is done.

"mothballs" SHOULD have received at least 150% of her pay rate.

I am with you ozziecruiser10, that restaurant is just not worth it..

our Granddaughter had her wedding there last Xmas, the wedding was at 4, all events , ceremony etc, held at that same restaurant, and we didn't start to get ANY food until 9pm !!

They had serious issues in that kitchen..

I just used it as an example to prove that there are plenty that charge over $150 for a buffet lunch at Xmas time.

Well you have been cheated..

This is taken from the Fair Work website..

34.4 Additional provisions for work on public holidays

(a) An employee other than a casual working on a public holiday must be paid for a minimum of four hours' work.

(b) A casual employee working on a public holiday must be paid for a minimum of two hours' work.

© Employees who work on a prescribed holiday may, by agreement, perform such work at a rate of 150% of the relevant minimum wage in clause 20 - Minimum wages, rather than the penalty rate prescribed in clause 34.1, provided that equivalent paid time is added to the employee's annual leave or one day instead of such public holiday will be allowed to the employee during the week in which such holiday falls. Provided further that such holiday may be allowed to the employee within 28 days of such holiday falling due.

(d) An employee other than a casual working on Christmas Day when it falls on a weekend must be paid an additional loading of 50% of their ordinary time rate for the hours worked on that day and will also be entitled to the benefit of a substitute day.

That says 150% plus equal time added to annual leave which then receives loading of 17.5%.

So the employee receives 150% for the time worked that day plus 117.5% paid as leave later = total 267% plus super at 9.25%

Clause 34.1 MA000119 Restaurant Industry Award states that the public holiday loading is 250% and the base rate for a Food and Beverage attendant grade 2 is $17.49 which is $43.725 hr plus $4.0445625 super per hour.

In some parts of Australia the Christmas and NYD public holiday starts at 7pm the previous day.

These are the minimum rates, in many situations staff may be being paid a higher rate.

Public Holidays for Christmas and New Year in SA start at 7pm the night before. Something the unions cooked up so that city stores could open on Boxing Day and other public holidays.

Since that was introduced a couple of years ago many small food sellers, eg coffee shops and small restaurants couldn't afford to stay open on Christmas and New Years Eve. So instead of staff enjoying extra loading they got no work at all those nights.

That says 150% plus equal time added to annual leave which then receives loading of 17.5%.

So the employee receives 150% for the time worked that day plus 117.5% paid as leave later = total 267% plus super at 9.25%

Clause 34.1 MA000119 Restaurant Industry Award states that the public holiday loading is 250% and the base rate for a Food and Beverage attendant grade 2 is $17.49 which is $43.725 hr plus $4.0445625 super per hour.

In some parts of Australia the Christmas and NYD public holiday starts at 7pm the previous day.

These are the minimum rates, in many situations staff may be being paid a higher rate.

Just gets better and better!...for the restaurant trades.

My salon only works 8-5 mon to fri, 8-12 on Sat, we don't work Thurs nights, Sun, or any public hols..my girls prefer time off with their families to extra money....and if I asked them to work those days, they would just laugh..:D

And I wouldn't work them either....

I am with you ozziecruiser10, that restaurant is just not worth it..

our Granddaughter had her wedding there last Xmas, the wedding was at 4, all events , ceremony etc, held at that same restaurant, and we didn't start to get ANY food until 9pm !!

They had serious issues in that kitchen.. .

That is bad. :( I bet everyone had several drinks on an empty stomach to fill in the time. Although, I think by 9pm I would be past eating.:D

That is bad. :( I bet everyone had several drinks on an empty stomach to fill in the time. Although, I think by 9pm I would be past eating.:D

It wasnt funny, but a lot put messages via their phones, on the restaurants facebook page , telling them they were starving!!:eek:..

We went to bed without any supper that night..

we left just as they were bringing out the Entree...we figured it would be 11 pm before the Main arrived st that rate, and the old boy had to get up at 4.30 am to drive the cab by 5.30 am.

We didnt care by that stage if we appeared rude by leaving..we were over it!!

But you are Not;)

Once you include alcohol the prices go up... They probably budgeted on people having 5 drinks in that time, so that's about $40 extra.

They can never undercharge on alcohol packages, some people just go wild.

Given the rest of the choices, it looks pretty decent as well. Good seafood, roasts and other choices. Better than you'll get on a major cruise line on Christmas Day! :D

Just a quick maths comment - 150% of something (in this case a wage) equates to time and a half not triple time.

Yes, agree, 300% would be triple.:D

We really need to know where it is being held.

My son's wedding (last March) was at an exclusive club with drinks (beer, wine, softdrink) for 6 hours at $145 per person. I would think anything 'wedding' would be more expensive than Christmas apart from Public holiday rates.:D

Archived