Tipping in Australia and New Zealand

I think this is what puzzles a lot of us. If there is a 'minimum wage', how is it that some people are paid below that amount?

I think they have 2 minimum wage awards.

1. If you do NOT receive tips ...$7.25 per hr

2. If you receive tips ... $2.13 per hr (as long as the tips take it up to at least the $7.25 )

Having said that , we must also remember that in our own societies ,

both Au and NZ ,

we have migrant and family workers slaving away .

They keep our economy going.

Not legal of course ...but its there none the less.

I think they have 2 minimum wage awards.

1. If you do NOT receive tips ...$7.25 per hr

2. If you receive tips ... $2.13 per hr (as long as the tips take it up to at least the $7.25 )

Having said that , we must also remember that in our own societies ,

both Au and NZ ,

we have migrant and family workers slaving away .

They keep our economy going.

Not legal of course ...but its there none the less.

Yep, there is more than one employment system out there in the big wild world. .. Many Aussies & Nzers often have trouble getting heads around this one.

I have posted this link previously when trying to explain two of the systems of renumeration in USA..

Not really straight forward either, since each state has own rules.. as seen here.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped2012.htm

Phil

Yep, there is more than one employment system out there in the big wild world. .. Many Aussies & Nzers often have trouble getting heads around this one.

I have posted this link previously when trying to explain two of the systems of renumeration in USA..

Not really straight forward either, since each state has own rules.. as seen here.

Phil.

Thanks Phil.:D

:eek::eek::eek:

Don't you dare!!!!:D

Besides, our politicians are beating you to it.:rolleyes:

Nice to hear that politicians are consistent around the world!

(Actually I didn't mean doubling your taxes, but just to use that as a calculation of tipping rates).

Phil

I think because it's hard to get around :-)

Basically, there's a single minimum hourly wage varying by state. But some - many - states allow the minimum wage to be reduced by an amount for expected tips.

Not that the minimum wage is great to start with, but you can see why some people then rely on tips. Their wage is reduced because the legislators agreed that business could reduce their wages, since tipping was common. Cruise ships carry the same system there for tip based staff, paying a very low monthly salary (e.g. $75) but with tips making up the bulk of the income.

In another way, it's like the deeming rate here for those who it applies to. There is an expected income. If you do better then that, which isn't too hard, you're ahead. But if you do less then that, then you're behind.

I think because it's hard to get around :-)

Basically, there's a single minimum hourly wage varying by state. But some - many - states allow the minimum wage to be reduced by an amount for expected tips.

Not that the minimum wage is great to start with, but you can see why some people then rely on tips. Their wage is reduced because the legislators agreed that business could reduce their wages, since tipping was common. Cruise ships carry the same system there for tip based staff, paying a very low monthly salary (e.g. $75) but with tips making up the bulk of the income.

In another way, it's like the deeming rate here for those who it applies to. There is an expected income. If you do better then that, which isn't too hard, you're ahead. But if you do less then that, then you're behind.

There is always good and bad with any system.:D

Any idea how much bus drivers get paid?

I know the wage structure and regs for retail as I worked there myself, but as you say I'd have thought their wages would be sufficient. Or is the new market that they work for free and just live off tips as well?

Recently back from the States, where DH chatted to several bus drivers. Their average rate was $12 per hr with no penalty allowances, compared to an aussie of $25 per hr weekdays, $38 per hr Saturdays and $50 per hr Sundays, plus daily rates such as $15 cash handling allowance, early start/late finish allowance of $15 daily, plus shifts longer than 10hrs paid at double time. Add to this 4 weeks annual leave and 10 days sick pay and 2 days personal leave per annum, all accumulative.

Not bad wages for an everyday bus driver with the easy ability in oz to earn $80,000 and over. A perfect semi retirement job:) btw coach drivers do get less in oz.

Recently back from the States, where DH chatted to several bus drivers. Their average rate was $12 per hr with no penalty allowances, compared to an aussie of $25 per hr weekdays, $38 per hr Saturdays and $50 per hr Sundays, plus daily rates such as $15 cash handling allowance, early start/late finish allowance of $15 daily, plus shifts longer than 10hrs paid at double time. Add to this 4 weeks annual leave and 10 days sick pay and 2 days personal leave per annum, all accumulative.

Not bad wages for an everyday bus driver with the easy ability in oz to earn $80,000 and over. A perfect semi retirement job:) btw coach drivers do get less in oz.

Which confirms my previous post in response to 6&6. In Australia there is a big difference between pay of an everyday Bus driver who receives penalties as described above and a tour coach driver who is usually on a flat rate with no penalties (unfortunately often called a bus driver in ignorance) and does sometimes receive tips but they don't run you down if you don't.

I am not sure what the USA drivers receive but you are probably correct.

Years ago went on a bus/coach excursion. The driver overheard someone refer to him as the bus driver. He indignantly stated "I'm not a bus driver, I'm a coach captain!" From what I read on here, he was maybe better off being a bus driver :)

Hi Sparky,

I live in California and here is my advice regarding tourist tipping in the States.

Taxi, sit down restaurants, & bars...tipping is customary.

No tipping in supermarkets or fast food restaurants such as McDonalds.

The tipping range for bars and restaurants is 15 to 20%.

I usually tip the taxi driver 10% of the fare, plus two dollars for each piece of luggage.

A word about restaurant tipping, and I cannot stress this enough...

Always look over the bill for a fine print statement that a service charge has been added. If added, then do not give an additional tip unless you desire to do so.

If your group is 6 people or more, most restaurants will automatically add an 18% service charge. The same advice applies as from the above.

Some servers are very greedy and will try to bully you into tipping more.

For example, I once tipped 25% on an expensive meal for four people.

I tipped more than I usually do because I thought the service was exceptional.

When I was leaving the restaurant, the server approached me and asked if something was wrong with the service.:mad:

Another poster recommended keeping plenty of one and five dollar bills on hand.

One trick is that if you pay with a large bill, the server might claim they can't make change, or they keep you waiting so long for your change that you get fed up and leave without it.

Speaking of large bills, never pay with $50 or $100 notes.

Many places will not accept them because they are the denominations most likely to be counterfeited.

Therefore, carry no larger than $20 bills.

Hope this helps.:)

Thank you for this helpful information.

How do you define exceptional service?

For many years during my working life I always had a second job which included driving trucks,taxis and buses/coaches.

Driving cabs I never expected a tip but got the occasional one but was only a small fraction of my overall takings.

Rarely got a tip driving bus /coaches.

The only difference between a bus and a coach is the upholstery and higher gearing for highway work.

Coach captains like to think they are above a bus driver,hence they like to dress up with stripes like a pilot.

In my own experience I got paid more to drive a regular bus than a "coach".

The bus drivers belong to a very strong union in NSW. The Bus, Rail and Tram Union are powerful compared to other unions. I was a member for a it.

Regards Elaine.

The "strong" part of the RTBU is the Locomotive/Train drivers division (formerly the AFULE) which merged with the RTBU in the 90's.

The "strong" part of the RTBU is the Locomotive/Train drivers division (formerly the AFULE) which merged with the RTBU in the 90's.

I can imagine. I just saw a driver storm out of his compartment and have a go at a guy with a bicycle in an almost empty carriage, complaining it was too close to his internal door, and "what if I flew out this door?". I then saw they now even have a special box painted behind the door "keep clear."

In years of travelling daily, I barely recall any drivers using that door - let alone "flying" out it. Entitlement...

I can imagine. I just saw a driver storm out of his compartment and have a go at a guy with a bicycle in an almost empty carriage, complaining it was too close to his internal door, and "what if I flew out this door?". I then saw they now even have a special box painted behind the door "keep clear."

In years of travelling daily, I barely recall any drivers using that door - let alone "flying" out it. Entitlement...

That door is the Driver's "escape hatch" in the event of an accident at level xings, etc. Believe me, it gets used quite often.

That door is the Driver's "escape hatch" in the event of an accident at level xings, etc. Believe me, it gets used quite often.

Yes, unfortunately Victoria has obtained a bit of a level crossing reputation in the last few years.:D

Yes, I understand how it can be used. Though we don't have any crossings on our line (in Sydney) and have never seen a driver rush through it. The likelihood of its use is almost infinitesimally low, especially in such a rush that he couldn't get through with a bike nearby.

And indeed it wasn't used that trip. :)

Thank you for this helpful information.

How do you define exceptional service?

You're welcome.:)

I define exceptional service as the type a cruiser receives in the ship's MDR.

The servers are attentive, yet not hovering. The diner lacks for nothing.

Average service is when the server makes sure to refill your beverage, and gives you your bill without making you wait a lengthy time.

This warrants a 15-20% tip.

Poor service is when you're ignored/rudely treated/ the server is more interested in chatting with co-workers than attending to the diner's needs.

Poor service warrants a poor tip.

Not tipping because of poor service sends the server the wrong message.

They justify themselves by labeling the diner as cheap & stingy.

A poor tip of say 5% or less will send the message.

If they have the nerve to challenge you on it, then you simply tell them why.

But you do not have to tip, if you were treated badly...use your discretion.

A friend waited tables at a popular pancake restaurant when we were university students.

She tried her best, but one customer left her a penny in a bowl of syrup.

We laugh about it now after three decades, but she was quite furious at the time.

I've been researching the Christmas Lunch buffet prices.

So my question is: Is $150 to $175 pp reasonable by Aussie standards?

If so, then I am suffering from Culture Shock.:D

Hubby is not too keen on the price, but I'm gently coaxing him if this is a standard price.

I really don't want to forfeit the traditional Christmas meal, especially when celebrating in another country.

But I'm assuming that included in the price is a lavish buffet including alcoholic beverages, tax, and service all rolled into one flat rate.

Am I spot on?

Thanks.:)

The price will be all inclusive of taxes etc, as for drinks, I would hope so, I would need more info of where it is being held.

The price does sound expensive,:eek:

does it have a show as well?,

is it a Harbour cruise?

Like I said, more details needed.:D

Archived