Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

On 2/27/2022 at 12:49 PM, OctoberLace said:

I was booked in a Single Infinite Verandah on Edge in October, but got upgraded for a very small price to Aqua Class during Move-up.  It still had the Infinite Verandah, which was fine for me.  The cons:  The view is straight ahead, and you need to stick your head out of the window to see what's to the left and right.  Some complain that the inside A/C shuts off when the verandah window is open.  Pros:  You have more privacy than a normal balcony.  For a single person, the A/C shut-off doesn't matter, since there's no one else trying to sleep when you're there.  In my experience, a Single Infinite Verandah on Edge Class costs less than an inside or outside cabin for a solo traveler.  Getting Aqua without Move-up saved me thousands over booking it to start.  We did not have to wear masks, no one tested positive for Covid on my cruise nor on the sailing before us.  I only got off the ship at St. Thomas, due to port changes and limited options, but I truly enjoyed being back at sea again.  While onboard I booked a Single Infinite Verandah on Edge to go to Australia and New Zealand in March 2024.  An upgrade on Move-up would be nice, but if it doesn't happen, I'll be happy where I'm booked.  On that cruise I do intend to go ashore as many stops as possible and will have wonderful viewing on sea days.

I have a b3b February 2024 on the Edge. Last of the 3 is March 7th I think. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Just booked a balcony on NCL, the Joy.  I'll be sailing March 19...

Nice! I just booked a 16-day transatlantic for March 12th on Princess. $1162 for a balcony with $60 OBC, under $70/day! Trying to take advantage of these low prices that will probably never come around again, especially for solos.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, alanstarr said:

Nice! I just booked a 16-day transatlantic for March 12th on Princess. $1162 for a balcony with $60 OBC, under $70/day! Trying to take advantage of these low prices that will probably never come around again, especially for solos.

Mine was under $900 after taxes, port fees and gratuities on the perk (I only do the dining perk).  I had bought some of NCL's CruiseNext certificates back in 2019, those offset $500 of that.  I'm excited to be back on board!  I've sailed on the Bliss, the Joy is largely similar.

• Like 2

just saw MSC out of NYC - they have solo balcony (as well as studio inside) 

I searched endlessly with no success to find a photo of the solo balcony - there are only 4 at the AFT which is amazing... but no clue what they look like. Says 128sq ft... but the balcony (based on the deck plan) looks like a tiny triangular Juliet balcony - 

Anyone every seen/stayed in one?

1 hour ago, Mazieee said:

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Breakaway May 1,2022.  this is the first time I reserved a solo studio room.  Has anyone stayed in a studio room?  If so, how did you like it?

I've stayed in one on the Bliss, I imagine they're similar.  It was roomy enough for one person to use primarily as a place to sleep and change clothes.  If you're expecting to set up a desk and work from the room it just won't work for that.  It was nice that the area (on the Bliss anyway) was secured so ONLY people in the Studio cabins had access, except during the solo meet-up before dinner.

I'd sail in one again, depending on the itinerary, but if I can get a balcony for nearly the same price as I did for my second cruise on the Bliss I'll take it.

11 minutes ago, hallux said:

I've stayed in one on the Bliss, I imagine they're similar.  It was roomy enough for one person to use primarily as a place to sleep and change clothes.  If you're expecting to set up a desk and work from the room it just won't work for that.  It was nice that the area (on the Bliss anyway) was secured so ONLY people in the Studio cabins had access, except during the solo meet-up before dinner.

I'd sail in one again, depending on the itinerary, but if I can get a balcony for nearly the same price as I did for my second cruise on the Bliss I'll take it.

agreed - if you can get the balcony for the same price or a tad more worth it - just be sure to check prior to 14 days before sailing.

I'm unsure if you'll get an upgrade offer - but if you do - and even if you can get an inside cabin - it's worth it for more space. You can go to the studio lounge for meet ups - ppl will open the door for you. Obvs you just wont have direct key access for coffee, etc.

6 hours ago, kasaba said:

Just booked a last minute 3-night Bahamas on Royal Caribbean! I've cruised before, but it's been a long time, this is my first solo, and my first time with RC. How do they handle us?

They don't "handle you".  You are on your own.  Check the daily activities for solo events, if that is what you are interested in.  Have fun.

14 hours ago, Mazieee said:

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Breakaway May 1,2022.  this is the first time I reserved a solo studio room.  Has anyone stayed in a studio room?  If so, how did you like it?

I sailed in a studio on the Breakaway in September. I liked it. It was smaller than I thought it would be but it was just fine for me. Now I am only 4' 10". A larger person might find it tight to maneuver through the room. The bed was spacious. A full I believe. Definitely larger than a twin. There was tons of storage although I did have to ask my room steward for more hangers because 1 closet didn't have any. Your suitcase should fit under the bed and the top of the ottoman comes off. I kept my shoes in that. The coffee machine in the studio lounge is AMAZING!!!!!  And I'm not even a coffee person but I would get a cappuccino at least twice a day. I loved having access to that, OJ, ice water, and various baked snacks at all times. I found the location to be convenient. I could take the stairs a lot of places, especially spice h20. I stayed in a room at the end of the hall. I think it was 11531? But it was quiet even though it was right by a door that led to the studio hall. I also found that my room was serviced almost as soon as I left. I think it was close to where the room attendants hung out. Obviously, I'd definitely book a studio again. 

37 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm 5'8" and claustrophobic. Are there windows in the studio? How much floor space is there?

Total area of the cabin 100 sq. ft.  No windows direct to the outside as the Studio 'enclave' is in the middle of the ship.  Decks 10 and 11 on this ship. https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/deck-plans

Those deck plans also have a picture and an overhead view of the layout, click on the 'studios' entry to the left when you have deck 10 or 11 selected.

Studios on the Bliss and Encore have a 'virtual balcony' that is a TV showing the outside view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Total area of the cabin 100 sq. ft.  No windows direct to the outside as the Studio 'enclave' is in the middle of the ship.  Decks 10 and 11 on this ship. https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/deck-plans

Those deck plans also have a picture and an overhead view of the layout, click on the 'studios' entry to the left when you have deck 10 or 11 selected.

Studios on the Bliss and Encore have a 'virtual balcony' that is a TV showing the outside view.

any way you cut it - the space is small, well designed, but SMALL. I actually 'upgraded' on the ship (EPIC) once due to cleanliness issues in my studio - to an inside. I was like going from budget to luxury. If you don't care about the keycard access to the lounge, I suggest an inside cabin or better. As a solo, as mentioned, you can come to the door of the solo lounge and ppl will let you in. 

On 3/11/2022 at 4:56 PM, Ombud said:

I'm 5'8" and claustrophobic. Are there windows in the studio? How much floor space is there?

I’d note that all of the tv’s offer a channel with a view from the bridge of the ship, so even on the older ships that don’t have a “virtual porthole” you can still have a view of the sea by using the tv. There is a porthole window that looks onto the interior corridor on the older ships, it’s one-way so you can see out but people passing can’t see in. 

If you’re seriously claustrophobic I’d go for an ocean view or balcony if you can afford it. If you book a studio you won’t be offered an option to bid on an upgrade which would be the case with any other class of cabin. The studio lounge varies quite a bit between the ships, the lounge on getaway and breakaway is split over 2 decks so feels a lot cozier than escape or epic, on the 2 “away” ships the bar, coffee machine and snacks are all on the lower deck of the lounge. 

On 3/10/2022 at 2:43 PM, nesila said:

just saw MSC out of NYC - they have solo balcony (as well as studio inside) 

I searched endlessly with no success to find a photo of the solo balcony - there are only 4 at the AFT which is amazing... but no clue what they look like. Says 128sq ft... but the balcony (based on the deck plan) looks like a tiny triangular Juliet balcony - 

Anyone every seen/stayed in one?

I found a video! Looks like this cabin type is available on sister ships Meraviglia and Bellissima. The dealbreaker for me with this cabin is that it has a steep-sided bathtub instead of a step-in shower; the towels are stored in the tub area high on the wall. I'm 4'10" so both of those details are a huge negative. People of more normal height don't have this problem! The cabin looks well designed and the balcony looks more than large enough for a lounger. 

The video description notes that the buffet overhead is noisy so you'd want to grab one of the cabins on deck 13 instead. With only 4 available on each ship, though, you might have to take what you can get. The notes also state that the bed is a sofa bed.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 8:56 AM, Ombud said:

Although the Studios are well-designed to feel airy, they're still tiny interior rooms. The virtual window on the newer ships helps with that a bit but... I agree with those who recommend booking a regular interior or ocean view instead. You'll get more space and the opportunity to book a Sail Away and/or bid for an upgrade (can't do either with a Studio).

I happen to like the cozy Studios, but mainly because:

• It's still not much smaller than our primary bedroom and I don't have to share it with a husband & 5 cats
  • Free espresso drinks!
  • It forces me to be somewhere other than my cabin
Edited by coastcat
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, coastcat said:

I found a video! Looks like this cabin type is available on sister ships Meraviglia and Bellissima. The dealbreaker for me with this cabin is that it has a steep-sided bathtub instead of a step-in shower; the towels are stored in the tub area high on the wall. I'm 4'10" so both of those details are a huge negative. People of more normal height don't have this problem! The cabin looks well designed and the balcony looks more than large enough for a lounger. 

The video description notes that the buffet overhead is noisy so you'd want to grab one of the cabins on deck 13 instead. With only 4 available on each ship, though, you might have to take what you can get. The notes also state that the bed is a sofa bed.

wow - yeah that tub is a deal breaker for 86 year old dad - who needs his own cabin... thanks for sharing!

On 3/11/2022 at 11:56 AM, Ombud said:

There's a "window" that looks out into the hallway. No one can see in and I'm not sure how much you can see out of it. It has internal blinds and nice colored ambient lighting. The newer studios, I think starting with the Bliss, have video windows that show the ocean view.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

The newer studios, I think starting with the Bliss, have video windows that show the ocean view.

The Bliss definitely has them, and I may have mentioned this in my earlier post.  Here is a pic of one on the Bliss - 

IMG_20190428_143616.thumb.jpg.58773412bcb7ef8b5dac550ba7997f18.jpg

And for reference as to where it is in the cabin -

IMG_20190428_142904.thumb.jpg.1e6a8d9829f7b825c1d52e4df8fd768e.jpg

I believe the bed can be pulled out from the wall a little bit.

• Like 1