Exchanging Remaining Euros After Cruise Ends

DivotMaker

I tried a search but must not have found the right search terms. We're leaving for a 12 day cruise at the end of September in Barcelona. We know to get Euros at an ATM, but we're unsure of the best way to handle any extra Euros we might have once the cruise is over. I'm sorry for such a silly question and if the answer is so obvious, but this will be our first time in Europe. Many thanks.

If your bank at home can sell you foreign currency, you will be able to sell your Euros back to the bank. Not sure if Chase Bank is available where you live, but if you are a Chase Bank customer, there is no fee charged for the service.

You are going to lose money if you have to change it, so here are a few suggestions. If you have a lot left over, you could treat yourself to something in duty free at the airport. If you don't have a lot left, consider an extra tip for your server or steward. Or, if you think you will go to Europe again, bring it home and save it for the next time (this is what I do).

I tried a search but must not have found the right search terms. We're leaving for a 12 day cruise at the end of September in Barcelona. We know to get Euros at an ATM, but we're unsure of the best way to handle any extra Euros we might have once the cruise is over. I'm sorry for such a silly question and if the answer is so obvious, but this will be our first time in Europe. Many thanks.

Well, toward the end of our Med cruise, we just started being aware of how many Euros we had left and budgeted how much we would spend each day. The small amount we had left at the end, we added to the tips we handed out.

If you have really a lot of Euros left over, you can take them to a bank once home (paper currency only) and convert it.

I actually used all of my Euros and Pounds before we left. I think we had a few coins left.

We had ordered from our bank before we left and they had strict rules of what could be converted back to dollars.

Your best bet is to get minimal amounts, only what you think you might use.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I always save the left over Euros for my next trip.

Other choices include use them for tips. Buy some extra things to bring home. Convert them to US$ at either the foreign airport or US one. Remember Euro coins are usually not convertible outside of the Euro zone.

Towards the end of the cruise, just take out a small amount of euros from ATMs each time you need them, so you will not be dealing with a significant amount. You will always have a chance to fritter away any leftovers at the airport while waiting for your flight.

This only works if you have a no fee debit card.

This only works if you have a no fee debit card.

Even if you do have to pay a fee for using ATMs, the better exchange rate makes them preferable to doing bank exchange, unless you hit ATMs a lot. If you are not saving them for a future trip, you will not want to bring them home and pay another exchange penalty -- and only paper money will be exchangeable, so you really do not want to accumulate a lot of coins.

The earlier post, about using them for tops makes sense -- the crew can always use a few euros when they get days off.

DivotMaker,

My first cruise was out of Barcelona on a 11 day Celebrity cruise.

What a great way to celebrate you anniversary!!

I get foreign currency from my bank Wells Fargo before I go. I make sure I have some smaller bills in the pack for tipping at the hotel etc. I always save about 30-$50 dollars worth for my next trip.

Love the look of the coloful Euros. All the denominations of paper bills have pictures of one of the countries in the Euro zone.

DivotMaker,

My first cruise was out of Barcelona on a 11 day Celebrity cruise.

What a great way to celebrate you anniversary!!

I get foreign currency from my bank Wells Fargo before I go. I make sure I have some smaller bills in the pack for tipping at the hotel etc. I always save about 30-$50 dollars worth for my next trip.

Love the look of the coloful Euros. All the denominations of paper bills have pictures of one of the countries in the Euro zone.

We have a local credit union (Golden 1). I haven't seen anything on their site about getting Euros, but I'll give them a call just so we have a few once we arrive in Paris. I've read you can get a few at the Paris airport from one of the ATM machines. We're boarding a bus straight from the airport to our hotel, so we just want to make sure we're ready.

We have a local credit union (Golden 1). I haven't seen anything on their site about getting Euros, but I'll give them a call just so we have a few once we arrive in Paris. I've read you can get a few at the Paris airport from one of the ATM machines. We're boarding a bus straight from the airport to our hotel, so we just want to make sure we're ready.

You can get what they call tip packs at AAA, if you belong. Just a small assortment of smaller bills.

Very difficult to exchange coinage.

Many airlines will collect coins of any country for charity.

A sidenote--

Get a coin purse. Europeans are extremely patient when waiting as someone digs thru their coinpurse.

Very difficult to exchange coinage.

Many airlines will collect coins of any country for charity.

A sidenote--

Get a coin purse. Europeans are extremely patient when waiting as someone digs thru their coinpurse.

I pull out a handful and ask the salesperson to pick the right coins.

Try not to get more than you'll need in the first place. If you try to exchange them after you get back home, your bank will charge you a big fee. My bank charges $30. I usually don't even have $30 worth of Euros when I return home. I sometimes try to use them up by eating a meal in the airport before I fly. Recently, I gave a big tip to the cab driver who took me to the airport for my return flight. I had about 20 Euros left and I knew I wouldn't use them so I gave it to the driver knowing that he would really appreciate and make use of it. The smile on his face was worth it!

I pull out a handful and ask the salesperson to pick the right coins.

I can finally tell the difference in the coins at a glance. The sides are all different on the silver-colored ones.

We use the coins for tips & to buy water etc. in the AP for the flight home.

For the bills you have options:

1. keep them for the next trip

2. exchange them on the ship

3. exchange them at a bank after you disembark

4. exchange them at the AP (but the rate won't be great)

5. exchange them at your own bank when you get home

We usually try to plan the amount we take out so that we don't have much left in Euros at the end of the cruise--I realize this doesn't always work out though.

So far we've gotten home with 20 Euros or less, which we just keep until our next European adventure, using it as seed money to use until we get more Euros from an ATM.

We've also got a few pounds waiting for our next trip to the UK. It's nice to have a little cash handy as soon as we get to the destination.

Archived